can the RM-200 be placed in a cabinet or does it need to be in the open air?

minimus

I would like to buy an RM-200 based on the excellent reviews for sound quality and reliability.  I also understand that the amp may not get as hot as other tube amps because of its hybrid design.  I am hoping to place the amp on a shelf in an A/V cabinet rather than in the open air due to space limitations.  If placed on the shelf, the amp would have about 5" of clearance above it. (The shelf has 12" of clearance and the amp is 7" tall.)  The cabinet is open in the back and I would have the cabinet doors open while the amp is turned on.  So, the amp would get a decent amount of ventilation, but not as much as if on an open amp stand on the floor.  So my concern is whether I need more clearance above the top of the amp to dissipate heat in order to prevent damage to the amp and/or eliminate a potential fire hazard.

For owners of the RM-200, does this plan seem advisable or unwise? (Is the amp a mini space heater or does it run cool enough to be placed as planned?)

Scottdazzle

I think 5" above with open front and back will be fine. Mine is in an open cabinet so I haven't tested this opinion out on my own amp, but my RM-200 does not get nearly as hot as the RM-9 did. The RM-9 was a real space heater.

minimus

Scotthobby, thanks.  I have been trying to get ahold of Roger by phone to double check about this, but your feedback is reassuring.