Ok so I have decided to do the subwoofer

bosjohn

Ok so I have decided to do the subwoofer
« on: 30 May 2009, 07:07 am »
Well after finally deciding that the problem with my a/v3.s is bad room related and of the three or four solutions short of two sticks of dynomite I have chosen to build a subwoofer.  I will be using the sw-12b in the closed 1.2 foot cubed box.  I will be doing a down firing woofer so I can put a cushion on the top for seating and no one will be able to kick in the woofer.  I spoke at length with Dan but I forgot to ask about the bracing. He recommends using the same bracing as in the bigger box thats is to say that many braces. I assume that I will subtract the volume occupied by the bracing from the inside space and plane accordingly so it is still 1.2 cubic feet. Is this correct? I am also thinking of sand on the four sides and top but not the bottom but maybe not any thoughts?

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
Re: Ok so I have decided to do the subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2009, 04:07 pm »
The bottom baffle will be your thickest material, so you don't need the sand as much, and it's kind of hard to get sand there, but it can be done (if you want) .

I considered making a seat, but when I got it to a height that worked well for a seat, with a minimum of three inches space on the bottom (and a cushion on top) the box starts to get rather wide. This means more bracing, more weight and more sand.

Still, I think I may make one like that some day.

And always remember, all of that bracing and sand can get very heavy. That's why mine has wheels.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:06 am »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:21 pm by EARGASM »

bosjohn

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2009, 10:38 pm »
So here is the math I have used for the box dimensions any reason this does not seem right I would appreciate knowing thanks everyone in advance
The volume of the box = 1.2 cubic ft or 2073.6 cubic in. so far so good.
if I make the baffle and back and the four braces 14 in x 14 in this will requre a depth of 12 in. yielding a box volume of 14x 14x 12 =2352 cubic inches
but we must subtract the volume of the braces, that is four pieces 14 x 14 x .75 minus the eleven inch diameter hole which works out as follows.
total volume of braces = 4x14x14x.75 =588 cubic inches
the volume of the holes = pi x (5.5x5.5) x 4x.75=285.1 cubic inches
so I must subtract the 285.1 from the 588 to get the volume of the four braces with the holes in them or 302.9 added to the 2073.6 =2358.7
after rounding off the insides of the holes and stuffing the box I should be close to the target of 1.2 feet cubed. Is there any problem with almost cube dimensions?  also I notice Danny usually specifies liquid nails instead of say yellow glue or hide glue etc. is there a reason for using liquid nails other than ease of use and should the seams inside be calked with a silicone?
thanks John

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2009, 11:03 pm »
...The volume of the box = 1.2 cubic ft or 2073.6 cubic in....four braces 14 in x 14 in this will requre a depth of 12 in. yielding..14x 14x 12 =2352...subtract the volume of the braces,...four pieces 14 x 14 x .75 minus...total volume of braces = 4x14x14x.75 =588 cubic inches...the holes = pi x (5.5x5.5) x 4x.75=285.1 cubic inches...subtract the 285.1 from the 588... 302.9 added to the 2073.6 =2358.7...rounding off the insides of the holes and stuffing the box

...I should be close to the target of 1.2 feet cubed. Is there any problem with almost cube dimensions?

Wow that's a lot of math, Sounds good to me :)
also I notice Danny usually specifies liquid nails instead of say yellow glue or hide glue etc. is there a reason for using liquid nails other than ease of use and should the seams inside be calked with a silicone?

AHHHH, hide glue, great for musical instruments, probably not so much for speakers.
I would recommend a urethane calk or sealant instead of silicone, but I think the point is to use something. Liquid nails is rather strong, but it can get brittle over time.

When I built my speakers and sub, I think I used yellow glue first, and then, "whatever I had available" including "Big Stretch". on the inside joints....With a goodly share of epoxy as well.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2009, 12:25 am »
Liquid nails is a good product.......in 30 yrs of construction the best I've found in a caulk tube
is a product called PL Premium.....be warned you'll want to use latex gloves when you use it
or you will have black marks on your hands for days.

when I built my subs I used carpenters glue for direct contact, but I also used cant strips
(small pieces of triangle shaped wood 3/4" x3/4") on the internal corners. These I embedded
in PL Premium and wiped clean. This seemed to give me a very strong enclosure.

I also used the premium in a smaller amount on my Venues. The top baffle was attached
with screws and premium, there was also a small cant strip embedded again on the back of the baffle. I also screwed and used the premium to install the two side panels....I have found this
to work great.

Perry

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2009, 06:55 pm »
Is there any problem with almost cube dimensions?  also I notice Danny usually specifies liquid nails instead of say yellow glue or hide glue etc. is there a reason for using liquid nails other than ease of use and should the seams inside be calked with a silicone?

The shape really won't have any effect on it.

I also typically use Elmer's wood glue on everything now.

Sealing the seams is also a good idea.

bosjohn

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2009, 03:38 am »
 Ok guys the box is constructed and stuffed. Four internal braces and the interior is 14x14x12 roughly. this has gotta be stiff. and I put Danny stuff all round and some stuffing I got from parts express. anyway it appears that the woofer sw-12b has a rubber or soft plastic gasket so will I need a sealing compound of any kind for the woofer?
thanks John

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2009, 03:48 am »
Ok guys the box is constructed and stuffed. Four internal braces and the interior is 14x14x12 roughly. this has gotta be stiff. and I put Danny stuff all round and some stuffing I got from parts express. anyway it appears that the woofer sw-12b has a rubber or soft plastic gasket so will I need a sealing compound of any kind for the woofer?
thanks John

That gasket is all you should need.

-Tony

bosjohn

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2009, 06:02 am »
well its finished and it really sounds quite splendid. Adding some bottom without drawing attention to itself. I had some trouble wiring it up. I tried the high level speaker lines in and out but got no sound at all from the main speakers then it dawned on me that cus I am using a preamp I could run the preamp to the plate amp and the plate amp out to the st 70 works fine now.
It is just the right size for a sitting stool. The outer dimensions are 15.5x 15.5 depth and width and the height of the box is 13.5 outside giving an interior volume of 1.2 cubic feet including the bracing.  I added three and a half inche legs, bringing the total height to just about eighteen inches which is just about right for chair height.  Looks nice all shiny black enamel and teak legs.