Gold Lion KT-88 bias value

decal

Gold Lion KT-88 bias value
« on: 29 May 2009, 03:52 pm »
I have a Rogue Audio Tempest II Magnum integrated that came with EH KT-88
power tubes. I just ordered a matched quad of Gold Lion KT-88's and was wondering if the bias should be set the same as the EH's. I'm new to tubed equipment and am now hooked !!!!!   Thanks.

JoshK

Re: Gold Lion KT-88 bias value
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2009, 03:55 pm »
There is no reason why these tubes should not be biased the same.  They are intented to be equivalents.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 05:30 pm »
Yeah for a straight across exchange for Kt88's to other KT88's you want to adjust them to bias the same.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2009, 11:45 am »
It's my understanding that you should bias the tube every time one is replaced; especially if it's a different brand.  Below are a couple of links on the matter for your consideration:

http://www.tubedepot.com/whisbipo.html

http://www.vac-amps.com/owning_tubes.html

Happy listening, peace out and all that Trekkie stuff!!

Later,

Mike

boycephoto

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2009, 07:53 pm »
I would be interested in your comments after you replace the tubes.  Was it a good choice to go with the Genalex re-issue KT88's?  How are they different than the EH?

Thanks
Dave
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 02:17 am by boycephoto »

decal

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:30 pm »
Dave,
I've only had the Gold Lions in my amp for a few days. I don't know technical or audiophile terms to describe the difference so I'll just use my own!! The sound is fuller, I hear alot more music. It sounds more realistic. The bass is where the biggest change occured. It is louder and more accurate. I'm told that the sound will continue to improve as the tubes get more time on them. I rolled in some NOS Sylvania JAN 6sn7wga and some NOS RCA 12ax7 tubes and they continued to improve with age. I think they made a bigger improvement,in the mids and highs, than the Gold Lions. I think the cost was well worth the benefits.I am really enjoying this tube stuff, it is addicting!!! Hope this answers your question.

dangerbird

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2009, 02:07 pm »
If you don't mind,, where did you get them,and pricing?I'm looking for a quad myself--and how was the service from the seller--thanks in advance--george

boycephoto

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:25 pm »
Decal,

Thanks for the reply  :D

It is a wonderful hobby, I have been totally addicted since 1969. 

Dave

decal

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm »
George,
I purchased the Gold Lions from e-bay seller bnb_tubes. Buy it now price was $190.00+$10.00 shipping.I recieved them in 3 days. This is the best price I have found on the internet.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:01 am »
George,
I purchased the Gold Lions from e-bay seller bnb_tubes. Buy it now price was $190.00+$10.00 shipping.I recieved them in 3 days. This is the best price I have found on the internet.

The problem I see with this is that the tubes could fail early in their lives, say in the first 30 hours.  What would you do if you bought from an ebay seller?  If you bought from a reputable dealer, say, Jim McShane, you would have a much better chance of getting a replacement.

Some small fraction of tubes can and do fail in the beginning of their lives.  Certain tube brands have better track records than others but pretty much all tubes seem to have some failure rate.  Even NOS tubes right off the shelf have failure rates. 

I think having the option to get a replacement, especially on tubes >$100/pr is worth some premium over the cheapest price on the net.  That is my humble opinion anyway.

Josh

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:12 am »

The problem I see with this is that the tubes could fail early in their lives, say in the first 30 hours.  What would you do if you bought from an ebay seller?  If you bought from a reputable dealer, say, Jim McShane, you would have a much better chance of getting a replacement.

Some small fraction of tubes can and do fail in the beginning of their lives.  Certain tube brands have better track records than others but pretty much all tubes seem to have some failure rate.  Even NOS tubes right off the shelf have failure rates. 

I think having the option to get a replacement, especially on tubes >$100/pr is worth some premium over the cheapest price on the net.  That is my humble opinion anyway.

Josh

Josh,

That has been my experience with EH EL34s, as two different ones went nuclear at different times.  And two more would have done the same except I saw them glowing ever brighter and shut down the amp before something worse happened.  I will never buy those tubes again.

Paul

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:16 am »
George,

Josh

I highly recommend buying from Jim.

I bought two sets of matched quads and he was an absolute pleasure to deal with + I have his great customer support if I have any issues.

George

dangerbird

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:27 am »
Good advice/point ^^^^^^^ Jim stands behind his products,,I had an EL-34 that I recently purchased from him go bad(2 quads),, not only did he replace it,, he followed up with me to make sure that I received it,,and how it/they were working out. NOS and customer service go a loooong way in my book.Thank you Mr. McShane.

decal

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:18 am »
Are you saying bnb tubes is not a reputable dealer? With a 7647 transaction score and 100% feedback and a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, I felt very confident in ordering from them. The price was lower than anywhere else I saw, shipping was very fast and packaging was very secure. I would not hesitate doing business with them again. I'm glad you have had good luck with your dealer.

dangerbird

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:52 am »
Are you saying bnb tubes is not a reputable dealer? With a 7647 transaction score and 100% feedback and a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, I felt very confident in ordering from them. The price was lower than anywhere else I saw, shipping was very fast and packaging was very secure. I would not hesitate doing business with them again. I'm glad you have had good luck with your dealer.

Not at all,,i have just had good luck dealing with Jim McShane,Brent Jesse,and Mike at Quicksilver Audio,,as I've needed tubes that are dc matched and I trust these guys. Sounds like you've found someone that you trust,gives you a good price,,can't ask for much more than that.

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:21 am »

No, I wasn't implying anything about this seller.  I know zip about this seller.  I was just suggesting that one should take other things into consideration.  That is all.   Maybe this guy does the same and replaces duds, if they happen, but I don't know and just thought it should be considered.