Help for new VR4jr owner

thebclshow

Help for new VR4jr owner
« on: 27 May 2009, 09:37 pm »
Hello,

I am new to this forum as I am just now in the process of purchasing a used pair of VR4jrs.  I am hoping they will ship out either Friday or Monday and, since I live in Hawaii they should be arriving in a week or two.  I have a few questions for other owners :

1.  Does anybody know where I can download or obtain a copy of the owner's manual for these speakers so that I can begin preparing for their arrival?  If there is no place to go to download a copy I would appreciate it greatly if someone could take a couple of minutes to e-mail or fax me a copy of theirs.

2.  Where do people go to purchase lead shot to load in the bass modules?  Sporting goods or fishing stores?  I have no idea.  I sure hope that I can find some locally as shipping the stuff here would be ridiculous.

3.  Do most people bi-wire or bi-amp these speakers?

4.  How critical is the placement of these?  Can they be placed near a backwall without significant degradation of the sound?

Thanks,

Bill

JackD201

Re: Help for new VR4jr owner
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2009, 06:03 am »
Hi there and welcome to the VSA family!  :thumb:

1.  Does anybody know where I can download or obtain a copy of the owner's manual for these speakers so that I can begin preparing for their arrival?  If there is no place to go to download a copy I would appreciate it greatly if someone could take a couple of minutes to e-mail or fax me a copy of theirs.

I'll ask around but VSA should be able to e-mail you a .pdf file. I'll also ask that the manuals be available in the website in the furure.

2.  Where do people go to purchase lead shot to load in the bass modules?  Sporting goods or fishing stores?  I have no idea.  I sure hope that I can find some locally as shipping the stuff here would be ridiculous.

Normally No.6 or No.9 shot are available at gun/hunting shops.

3.  Do most people bi-wire or bi-amp these speakers?

Most people Bi-wire the speakers and use the datalink cables to play fetch with their dogs. :lol: Seriously though the datalink is okay but to get the most out of your 4jrs bi-wire is suggested. In a pinch where one does not have a choice and has to use the datalink, it is also recommended to attach the speaker cables to the terminals on the head units. There is less loss that way.

4.  How critical is the placement of these?  Can they be placed near a backwall without significant degradation of the sound?

It's like Pacino said "It's a game of inches". Feel free to experiment. A properly "locked in" pair has that V factor. The difference between being just a good speaker and actually revealing what a VR design can do. The manual should be able to guide you as it is very detailed. When you can walk into the soundstage and seemingly around the instruments you'll know you've locked 'em in.

Anyhow, good luck and let us know if we can be of any help. Looking forward to hearing your impressions when they're finally settled in.

All the best,

Jack