Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

Nels Ferre

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #360 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:27 am »
I do the same thing with my MAC.  One issue though is that Timemachine backups will cause audio skips.  You have to schedule it so it doesn't mess with your listening.

I don't have that problem. Got enough RAM?

funkmonkey

« Reply #361 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:37 am »
I do the same thing with my MAC.  One issue though is that Timemachine backups will cause audio skips.  You have to schedule it so it doesn't mess with your listening.

I've got time machine set up to use an external drive which I usually only turn on once a week or so, but never noticed any audio skipping when running.

vintagebob

« Reply #362 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:17 pm »
Hey stc4life, floresjc and Sedah,

Any luck this week?  Any last minute preparation?

vintagebob

« Reply #363 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:27 pm »
I am currently using the method that "moeaudio" describes in this thread to integrate my AVA preamp/DAC with my Pioneer AVR (Frank provides another method at the end of the thread):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71366.0

The only thing I'm not sure of yet is if I can add a sub in with the 2-channel setup.

Thanks for the info! I've been thinking about the sub problem, as I'd have this problem as well.

Are there two sets of pre-outs on the pre-amp? I think I remember reading that Frank always puts two sets out pre-outs on his pre-amps... If this is the case, you could get/make an RCA switch, connect the 2nd set of pre-outs on the pre-amp & LFE channel of your receiver to inputs on the switch, and the subwoofer as the output. You'd then have to manually switch it. It's not ideal, but it would be better than manually swapping cables.

One thing that I have found is that my subwoofer is still seeing the music signal from the AVR when I am using the AVA DAC/Preamp combo.  I can adjust the AVR volume for as much subwoofer support as I would like.  It is a little tough level matching by ear, especially if I keep adjusting the preamp level, so I mainly keep in at a low volume to just provide a hint of support at the lowest frequencies.  The HT2-TLs do a darn good job with the bass content.

Your idea has merit though and it might be something to look into at a later date.

floresjc

« Reply #364 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:59 pm »

Honestly don't know. I talked to Jim earlier in the week and he had everything together except the HT2-TL's which were being put together Tuesday. Said the SongTowers were good to go and the sub was done (and heavy according to the two employees carrying it). The SongCenter had a slight scratch on the front baffle and he was going to reshoot that quickly. He also was taking pictures of the HT2's and sub since they were the first of those type (he hasn't done a full wood baffle on an HT2-TL yet nor my passive Rythmik sub). I had really expected an "its done" email with pics by today, but it hasn't happened yet, getting there quickly though. I'm not in a huge hurry but I am getting anxious so close to the end.

I'm still short two rear speaker cables and a sub cable which I should probably order this weekend to get it on time. Other than that, everything is good to go.

vintagebob

« Reply #365 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:11 pm »

Honestly don't know. I talked to Jim earlier in the week and he had everything together except the HT2-TL's which were being put together Tuesday. Said the SongTowers were good to go and the sub was done (and heavy according to the two employees carrying it). The SongCenter had a slight scratch on the front baffle and he was going to reshoot that quickly. He also was taking pictures of the HT2's and sub since they were the first of those type (he hasn't done a full wood baffle on an HT2-TL yet nor my passive Rythmik sub). I had really expected an "its done" email with pics by today, but it hasn't happened yet, getting there quickly though. I'm not in a huge hurry but I am getting anxious so close to the end.

I'm still short two rear speaker cables and a sub cable which I should probably order this weekend to get it on time. Other than that, everything is good to go.

I know where you're coming from! ; )

Hang in there.  They are worth the wait.

floresjc

« Reply #366 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:20 pm »
Just spoke with Jim. He's packing the sub tomorrow morning, says its kind of a big job. SongTowers and HT2-TL will be packed Monday and he's aiming for Tuesday to have it palletized and on a truck. My order won't be coming through FedEx, just too much weight so its coming by trucking company. So I'm looking at end of next week he said, trucking schedule dependent.

Nuance

« Reply #367 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:56 am »
That's great news, floresjc!  Next weekend is going to be a glorious one. 

R Swerdlow

« Reply #368 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:13 pm »
Just spoke with Jim. He's packing the sub tomorrow morning, says its kind of a big job. SongTowers and HT2-TL will be packed Monday and he's aiming for Tuesday to have it palletized and on a truck. My order won't be coming through FedEx, just too much weight so its coming by trucking company. So I'm looking at end of next week he said, trucking schedule dependent.

Have you got a forklift lined up for the delivery day?

WGH

« Reply #369 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:27 pm »
Sometimes you can save the $80 lift gate and home delivery fee by picking up at the freight loading dock, it all depends on the shipper and how far you live from the terminal if this option will work.

funkmonkey

« Reply #370 on: 24 Oct 2009, 06:49 pm »

SWEET!!!!!!  :thumb:  sounds great.  Pallet shipping should reduce the chance of damage significantly.  (Not that there is too much to worry about when Jim and crew pack everything up.)  Best of luck on the safe delivery of everything.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it all when it arrives.  Sounds like quite a "package"  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2009, 05:26 pm by funkmonkey »

sedah

« Reply #371 on: 26 Oct 2009, 11:27 pm »
Update: looks like things are pretty much finished for me as well. Jim sent me some pictures today that were snapped last week and we're in the process of sorting out shipping up to Vancouver. Will post once they're on a truck and again (with pictures) once I have them home.

vintagebob

« Reply #372 on: 27 Oct 2009, 01:13 am »
Update: looks like things are pretty much finished for me as well. Jim sent me some pictures today that were snapped last week and we're in the process of sorting out shipping up to Vancouver. Will post once they're on a truck and again (with pictures) once I have them home.

Alright!  :thumb:

I'll be looking forward to the pictures and your impressions.  It was worth the wait for me.  ; )

Nuance

« Reply #373 on: 27 Oct 2009, 02:17 am »
^ +1.  Heck yeah!

floresjc

« Reply #374 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm »
TWO! Two pallets ha ha ha. Going to be crazy.  I also have 400ft of Belden 12 gauge, banana plugs and a 40ft sub cable on the way from Blue Jeans.

vintagebob

« Reply #375 on: 27 Oct 2009, 12:53 pm »
TWO! Two pallets ha ha ha. Going to be crazy.  I also have 400ft of Belden 12 gauge, banana plugs and a 40ft sub cable on the way from Blue Jeans.

:o 

vintagebob

« Reply #376 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:21 pm »
Advent75 sent me the following message:

"V3's + HT Cntr w/Fr Ports & expanded cabinet.
6/15/09 Veneer Chosen, 10/1/09 Everything Received in perfect condition."

Congrats!   :thumb:

We hope to see some pictures and impressions soon.

floresjc

« Reply #377 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:24 pm »
Well, got the official word from Jim a few hours ago. My speakers have left the building and should be here Friday. Got the bill of lading last night, 711 lbs total! Also talked to Blue Jeans, speaker cable inbound by Friday as well. Going to be a long hard weekend, I think I need to take Monday off too...

vintagebob

« Reply #378 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:31 pm »
Well, got the official word from Jim a few hours ago. My speakers have left the building and should be here Friday. Got the bill of lading last night, 711 lbs total! Also talked to Blue Jeans, speaker cable inbound by Friday as well. Going to be a long hard weekend, I think I need to take Monday off too...

711 lbs?!  It probably couldn't hurt to check and see how sound your house foundation/slab is!  ; )

floresjc

« Reply #379 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:42 pm »
vintagebob -

I wasn't expecting it to be that heavy either. Although I guess its not way off the mark when you consider the amount of packing, but I never really considered packing to be heavy. HT2-TL's are what, 95lbs each, so thats 200 right there, the sub's another 150. Not sure how heavy songtowers are, but I figure 4 of them is probly a couple hundred pounds. Yah so, lots of cardboard.

And my floor is fine. In the basement its concrete with carpet, and the HT2-TL's are the only things coming up to the main level.