WTB: Magnepan 1.6QR - Cancelled

Alexdad54

WTB: Magnepan 1.6QR - Cancelled
« on: 27 May 2009, 06:02 pm »
Hi,
New here on Audiocircle and assembling my first high-end system. I'm looking for Magnepan 1.6QR's in excellent condition.
Any colour/trim except white. I'm in hte Philly area and will travel within the Tri-State area to pick up.
cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm by Alexdad54 »

kevner

Re: WTB: Magnepan 1.6QR
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2009, 11:23 am »
Hi I'm in Tamaqua Pa. about 90 miles north of philly selling my 1.6's if you are interested ,need somthing smaller,small room.Kevner21@gmail.com

Alexdad54

Re: WTB: Magnepan 1.6QR
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2009, 11:53 am »
Hi,
I'm very interested. Can you tell me a bit more about them, i.e. age, price, trim, etc.?
thanks,
Dave

Alexdad54

Re: WTB: Magnepan 1.6QR - Cancelled
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2009, 06:56 pm »
Well...after listening to two sets of Maggies I have finally decided that the planar sound isn't for me. Now I'm trying to decide my best floorstander option that is equal to or better than the Maggies at the same (used) price point.
cheers
D

Anji12305

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2009, 11:01 am »
Your alternate list should include the older Definitive Technology speakers.
I picked up a second hand pair of BP(BiPolar) 10s and they have tremendous dynamic range.
Bass, too.

My little 30w/channel amp drives them easily.

Newer DefTech speakers incorporate powered subs or have metal enclosures.
The older BP10 or BP20 design is a sleeper - therefore cheaper!

Alexdad54

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2009, 02:35 pm »
Thanks for that tip, unfortunately don't see any around right now on the diffferent sites.
I'm currently looking at 3 sets:
PSB Stratus Goldi's
Gallo 3.1
Quad 22l2

Anji12305

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2009, 09:37 pm »
Here's what I'm starting to discern about conventional drivers - they're not created equal.

The midrange/midbass VIFA P17WJ driver I listen through in the DefTechs is very good dynamically and relatively uncolored.  (Nothing so neutral as a Magneplanar or Quad ESL), but with fewer compromises.

The Usher 7-inch paper cone driver called the 8948A is also very good in both regards, but the Usher line is expensive.
Have a look at the Zaph audio site to read my source material.  http://www.zaphaudio.com/

Once you have a driver that sounds interesting to you, a search of the model number may turn up speakers that have the driver complement you seek.  If I had the money, I would buy the KEF reference line if for no other reason than higher residual value at resale.

FWIW - I wouldn't give up on Magneplanars, the SMGa and MMG design is more sensitive and plays deeper than some of the more refined versions.

Alexdad54

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2009, 10:52 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to be auditioning more speakers next week. I'm curious though about your comment on the MMG's as I have read and heard that they're the entry level of the Magnepan line and as such, lack a lot of the presence, detail and staging of their larger older brothers, the 1.6 and the 3.6. Some have suggested that I try MMG's coupled with a good sub, but is that really going to be the equal of a Gallo ref 3.1 or similar? Also, the 1.6's I heard only sounded good to my ears when a tube amp was used (CJ MV-50, I think) and I no that tube amps that can drive Maggies are usually pricey.......
cheers,
Dave

hayden

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:16 am »
Before you give up on the Maggies, try to listen to a modded pair (ala, Magnestand "gunned" Maggies).  I didn't buy a set from Peter, but have modded my MMG's in a similar fashion and can state that they sound amazing.

JP

Alexdad54

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:35 am »
Hi Hayden, good point, my problem is finding someone in the Philly area who might have modded MMG's, as they're an internet only purchase, I can't really go through a dealer....do you have any suggestions? Also, does Peter actually sell modded Maggies, I thought he only did the work on ones people sent him.

hayden

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:39 am »
Isn't Peter in the NE somewhere?  I know that he only does the mods, but I believe that I've occasionally seen him offer something for sale.  A pair of MMG's (or older SMGa's) are not that expensive to buy and send to him for treatment.  Taking the panels out of their awful and flimsy mdf stands takes these speakers to a whole new level.  I've never been tempted to move up in the Maggie speaker hierarchy after modding my SMG's and MMG's.

JP

Alexdad54

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2009, 11:14 am »
You're right, he's in PA somewhere, I will contact him for more info. I am still concerned though about the tube amp issue, when I heard the 1.6qr's with ss and then with tubes, the tubes were a clear winner for my ears, the ss had a very fatiguing upper end. Can one drive MMG's with tubes at a reasonable price?

Anji12305

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:14 pm »
To "clarify" my comments...
I'm increasingly sensitive to the sound of drivers that are poor tonal matches.
A tweeter with highly directional output with a diffuse woofer will feel a little off to my ear.

What I like best about the SMG and MMG is the use of a single driver element with separate voice coils.
The SMG is also more sensitive than most current models, and I perceive that as liveliness.  Bass response is better from these (and the MMG) than larger models, in my room. 

What I don't like about the larger Maggies is the power requirements - I want speakers that sound lively at even the lowest volume levels.

I have heard the 1.6 and 3.6 set up well, but they were in much larger rooms with hideously expensive amps.

Don't get me started on the high speed switching amps - I don't like those at all.

hayden

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:44 pm »
I don't see why a decent-sized tube amp wouldn't be perfect for the modded Maggies.  I've had the best luck driving mine with high-power tripath amps (7T's), which many people have said sound like tube amps.

JP

Den

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:42 am »
Tube amps don't have to be as pricey as CJ.  I have heard 1.6's sing driven by a Rogue 88 amp.  There's one on A-gon for $550.  See also Yaqin KT88 amp, new for similar $ on ebay, but watch the crazy shipping rates from HK.  Same basic KT88 push-pull configuration, so it should drive Maggies as well as the Rogue does.  I haven't heard the Yaqin with Maggies, but it sounds pretty darn good with my minimonitors.  :)

Alexdad54

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2009, 12:18 pm »
Info appreciated.! If I go for MMG's, that's $550 for the Maggies plus about $1500 for Peter Gunn mods plus another $300-$500 for a decent sealed sub plus good IC's (price unknown) plus $500-$800 for a good tube amp. Now we're looking at anywhere up to $3k...forgive my skepticsm but can't I get a good used floorstander (Quad 22l2's, even Gallo 3.1's) plus an amp that will give me similar quality at maybe $500 or more less?

Den

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm »
Well, you went from 1.6's for $1k to modded MMG's for $2k.  You could assemble any number of systems at different price points.  There is no 'right' answer.      As for 'similar quality,' comparing planar(Maggie) to  dynamic-driver(Gallo) speakers is kinda like apples to oranges. . .or tubes to SS.  You need to decide which flavor of sound you like, then assemble the system accordingly, hopefully within your budget.  :)

Alexdad54

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2009, 12:49 pm »
Understood but I was responding to those who urged me not to give up on Maggies. I'm open to all ideas and types, it's just that so far (and it's not very far...:)  ) I saw more issues with the 1.6's (size, placement, power, bass, etc.). That being said, I'll be listening to others this week to compare. So far I've only heard Klipsch and B&W floorstanders and they didn't compare. I guess I'm just beginning to understand how complicated this search is going to be........

kevner

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2009, 07:49 pm »
Dave maybe you should look into the single driver speakers .Cain&Cain , commonsense audio etc,etc very efficent, and the only speakers to even come close to my 1.6qr's . There a store Community audio which has the cain&cain's in the PHILLY AREA $2K BUT WELL WORTH THE LISTEN AND YOU CAN PRACTICALLY DRIVE THEM WITH AN IPOD  kEVIN

Maceo23

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:41 am »
If you are willing to entertain the idea of spending that kind of money on modded 1.6's why not take a look at a used pair of 3.6's.  I'm not really a huge fan of the smaller maggies, but the 3.6's are in a completely different league.  Give them a listen, I think you will really like them.  Also, give Vandersteen a listen, i have the 2ce signatures and really think that they are the best value in audio.