Recommended speakers for a B-60 would be.......

1ZIP

Recommended speakers for a B-60 would be.......
« on: 26 May 2009, 06:50 pm »
I'm setting up a second system using my B-60 or a vintage restored Marantz 2270 (75 wpc).  I'm thinking of a pair of the following for a medium sized room:

1. Paradigm Studio 20 v4
2. Totem Acoustic - Rainmaker
3. B&W 685

Curious what speakers those with a B-60 are using.

danman

Re: Recommended speakers for a B-60 would be.......
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2009, 07:05 pm »
I like the Totems but they are a little harder to drive. However, your amp would have no problem as long as you don't need hi SPL's.

Robert D

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2009, 11:54 pm »
I'm using Paradigm Reference Signature S8 v2.

1ZIP, I would go with the Paradigm Reference Signature Series. Hard core , they will deliver what your ears want to hear ! I'm not sure what kind of Budget you have, but they range from 2000.00 - 9000.00

I would try and find a dealer that has Bryston Gear and that Carries Paradigm Reference Signature Series speakers.

The Combo works well.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2009, 12:44 am »
I'm running a pair of Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelf.  That's a mouthfull... er keyboard full.  My original target speaker was the Totem Arro.  The Arros suffer from a lack of dynamics, SPL, and bass output.  My Yaras sound pretty similar to them without those limitations.  The Yaras' soundstage is bigger and more realistic sounding to my ears.  Everyone raves about Totem's soundstaging and imaging (rightfully so), Audio Physics one up them.

There's not many dealers and they tend to hang around on Audiogon for longer than others, if that's a concern.  I like mine way too much to ever get rid of them.  Last I looked, there's a pair listed on the 'Gon by that Audio Pimp guy.  To me, his asking price is a no brainer.  I have no connection to him in anyway.

PMC bookshelves, Linn Katans, Focal Chorus 700s and Dynaudio Focus 110s also sound very good IMO.  I've auditioned them all with either my B60 or a dealer's B60.  To my ears, the Yaras sounded far better than anything else.  PMC TB2+ came in a distant second.

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2009, 11:42 pm »
Great, thanks all for the info.  You are right, finding an Audio Physic dealer is next to impossible.  I couldn't find anyone in WA state.  But I'll add the A.P.'s to my list. Have you ever listened to Harbeth?

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2009, 01:40 pm »
Adam Audio Pencil.

Klik

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2009, 02:21 pm »
Audio Physic's downfall may be their US distributer.  They took their time e-mailing me a dealer list, and left 2 off that I know of.  One was about 5 miles away from them!  They're not very friendly over the phone either.  Dealers, professional reviews, and advertising are almost non-existant.  Its really a shame because they're doing a huge disservice to the speakers.  Maybe the company wouldn't be able to keep up with production if they were more available.  I don't know.  If you can somehow track down a pair, they truly are worth the effort IMO.  I'm genuinely not trying to push them on you though.   

I have heard a Harbeth or two, but not current ones and not through a B60 or any other components I'm familiar with.  I was very impressed, but they were way out of my price range at the time.  The entry level model (p3es?) seems very interesting and I'd pursue it if I were in the market for a new pair.  I think its been discontinued/updated recently.  They went from about $2k to about $1500.  They may be a bit difficult to drive and they may struggle in a larger room.  I think they're intended more as a near-field monitor, but that's just my specuation.  I doubt the B60 would have any problems driving them, so long as you're not forcing them to do anything unrealistic. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2009, 09:30 pm »
You might wanna try a JBL L880. Great speaker for the money.

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2009, 02:08 pm »
As it turns out I ended up with the Paradigm Studio 20's v4. (rosenut). A fellow bought a pair and then after a month decided he wanted something better.  So, the dealer took them back as part of the upgrade.  The dealer told me and I now have some flawless, not quite broken in, Studio 20's for a very decent price.  For what they are and the use intended they sound very nice. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2009, 09:47 pm »
I really like the Studio 20s.  Very easy speaker to live with IMO.  They also sound great with Bryston.  A lot of people like the Bryston/B&W combo, which sounds pretty good to my ears.  But the Bryston and comparable Paradigm combo always sounds so much better IMO.

The Studio 20 and Studio 60 are two of my favorite speakers.  Very hard to beat for their list price and a good bit more.

veloceleste

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2009, 11:34 am »
I know I'm late to the show but I used Totem Arros for years with the B60 and it was a great combination. Currently, I'm using Vienna Acoustics Haydn and these sound great with the B60 also.