Martin Logan Review CLX's

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: ML CLX's
« Reply #60 on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:35 pm »
James, that was a great write up and very easy for us to understand. As you know, these would be my dream speaker by all means and next week, I am in Montreal and will take a turn to Son Ideal to see if I can have a listen in Claude's new soundroom. They may not be in my budget right yet but in the next few years, maybe some great used deals will arise with them.

Also, as a member of the Martin Logan Club site, it would be nice to have your comments posted there. If you would allow me, I would like to quote you and post it!??

Hi danman,

Well thank you but as Woody Allen says " do I want to be a member of a club that would actually consider having me for membership?" :icon_lol:

james

danman

« Reply #61 on: 4 Jun 2009, 07:00 pm »
Does that mean yes? I just thought it would also be a great plug for Bryston as well.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #62 on: 4 Jun 2009, 08:35 pm »
Why don't you check it out as a "guest" and see if you want to join the conversations.  There's a fair bit of discussion about the CLX's (both positive and negative), including an outstanding contribution by Jim Smith (Get Better Sound).

... Well thank you but as Woody Allen says " do I want to be a member of a club that would actually consider having me for membership?" :icon_lol:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 4 Jun 2009, 08:47 pm »
Does that mean yes? I just thought it would also be a great plug for Bryston as well.

Hi Dan,

YES -I'm just being a smart ass.

james

danman

« Reply #64 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:12 pm »
Just making sure. Some on the site don't see Bryston as a good power source for ML's and your write up has been actually one of the better ones concernig the CLX so this may change their minds somewhat!  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:41 pm »
Just making sure. Some on the site don't see Bryston as a good power source for ML's and your write up has been actually one of the better ones concernig the CLX so this may change their minds somewhat!  :D

Hi danman,

Yes I think we turned a lot of heads at the Montreal Show with the Bryston/CLX setup - even Stereophile was impressed - http://blog.stereophile.com/ssi2009/martinlogan_meets_bryston/.

It's a shame really that people just discount a product based on past exposure or offhanded comments.

james
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2009, 02:06 pm by James Tanner »

danman

« Reply #66 on: 5 Jun 2009, 03:23 pm »
Yes and I was sorry to not have been able to attend.

I also agree with what you say about offhanded comments. there seems to be this person from a publication (Tonepub) that has a serious problem with Bryston products!!! He seems to believe that they are not good for the CLX and that they are thin sounding???????? This is the first time I have ever read that Bryston is "thin sounding" anywhere! Pretty odd!

I guess all the reviews over the years saying that Bryston is full of body are useless based on "his" personal views! I can understand people having their personal views of products and that is their right but back it up with something with facts.

Man, people like that get my feathers ruffled! If there is one thing I have learned over the years is to not always believe the hype! I have listened to set ups worth 100000$ that sounded like crap to me! Oh well!

danman

« Reply #67 on: 5 Jun 2009, 03:43 pm »
Sorry James about the "other" site! I was not expecting that type of response! I am embarrassed for him!

However, I do love your comment!

werd

« Reply #68 on: 5 Jun 2009, 04:15 pm »
Hello Folks

Those posts on that ML site are just a classic case of people commenting on older Bryston/(whatever speaker it maybe) synergy. Of course the mess of matching a good frontend was often never realized. Ive heard Bryston gear with cd and dvd players that i didnt like at all.  It seems obvious that Bryston  successfully addressed this frontend issue with their own BCD and BDA models. People really need to listen to the new square series amps and  understand where Bryston stands today on fullbody and transparency with no lack of PRAT.  James I think you might have made a mistake by not mentioning the Torus in that review. (i am assuming there are Torus's in your setup). The Torus was groundbreaking for my setup and can imagine the impact on electrostats it would have.

Those comments arent all bad, i think its fun where people comment on things that i know are incorrect. Its what blogging is all about.

werd

« Reply #69 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:52 pm »
Hi Folks

Refering to the ML site feed...... how the f@#! did that reviewer from ToneAudio mag not like the Torus?!!!!!!
To not even review it...   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: . I notice he constantly likes to elevate his status as a reviewer by continually refering to his big name buddies in the audio reviewer field. Another mag best left for the doggie doo. His last statement reeks of bias and nonconfidence in himself. Again from someone i havent heard of( and i read a ton of mags) pulling out the big reviewer names in an attempt to anchor his opinion.

Sorry i couldnt let that one slide
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2009, 08:15 pm by werd »

danman

« Reply #70 on: 5 Jun 2009, 06:09 pm »
He seems to personalise his reviews to what he likes only! Another one of those typical magazines that base their opinions on emotions!

I will certainly not buy into their crap!

I was actually quite proud of you James for sticking up to this person! He obviously did not even read what I posted. I guess that is typical of these types of people! When I read it, James was talking about the speakers not the amps!!! Obviously he was going to power them with Bryston for GOD'S SAKE HE'S THE VICE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody save that man!

twitch54

« Reply #71 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:06 pm »
Those posts on that ML site are just a classic case of people commenting on older Bryston/(whatever speaker it maybe) synergy.

Agreed, for there was a long time when Bryston was reffered to as "Bright Bryston" , while it was subjective at best it never-the-less takes time to erase such pre-conceived notions.

I myself look forward to hearing some of the newer offerings from Bryston.

twitch54

« Reply #72 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:13 pm »
When I read it, James was talking about the speakers not the amps!!! Obviously he was going to power them with Bryston

Dan, FWIW, when one speaks of a speakers signature does not the 'upsteam componetry' play a part ?? So therefore one MUST take amplification into consideration.

There are many of us that love tubes powering our panels for some of the very reasons brought out in Mr Tanners review. trouble is finding a tube amp with the right synergy for the challenges of the upper registers.

werd

« Reply #73 on: 6 Jun 2009, 01:00 am »
Those posts on that ML site are just a classic case of people commenting on older Bryston/(whatever speaker it maybe) synergy.

Agreed, for there was a long time when Bryston was reffered to as "Bright Bryston" , while it was subjective at best it never-the-less takes time to erase such pre-conceived notions.

I myself look forward to hearing some of the newer offerings from Bryston.

Bryston is a mature audio company. The sound coming from Bryston is a result of an evolution... a coming of a age so to speak..... which you wont get from a young brand. All very affordable if need be, with the 4b or less and b100.

danman

« Reply #74 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:14 am »
Twitch nice to have you here as well but I got to say, I am disappointed with what I have started!!! Man, who is that Tonepub guy......he really has to start looking farther than the end of his nose!!!!!!!!! :duh:

I really had good intentions and believed that I was doing something to help others understand the CLX! Boy was I surprised! To insult James that way is completely unaccepatable to me! :nono:

I no longer have ANY respect for his opinions nor his magazine can tell you that!

twitch54

« Reply #75 on: 6 Jun 2009, 11:26 am »
Dan, keep in mind....you started a thread with a copy of James review, that AUTOMATICALLY opens it up to scrutiny. It's a PUBLIC forum, now if Mr Tanner and Mr Dorgay have a little riff going on, I along with most others couldn't give two hoots. If you know anything about this hobby you know that ALOT of folks in the business have their egos up their arse, on both sides of the aisle !!

Another thing to keep in mind...... Mr Tanner comes to the M/L forum, registers, and in post #1 proceeds to act like a child with his language, etc, to the point that Tom has to do an 'edit' job and well....... you get my drift.

rydenfan

« Reply #76 on: 6 Jun 2009, 03:45 pm »
Tonepub, was out of line. Plain and simple. He could have easily made a few helpful suggestions to James about possible placement in the room. Instead he chose to outright and unjustifiably slam Bryston. It was uncalled for and out of place. James is one of the best factory representatives I know and spent his own money on these speakers due to his loving the sound of them at the show. Are these speakers perfect? No. No speaker is. Unfortuantely that is just the way the ML forum seems to be. As soon as you have a concern over something you may not love about the speaker 20 people jump down your throat and say the problem is your room, your electronics, or you. The one thing that is guaranteed is that he problem can never be the speaker. Despite being a new Summit X owner this is precisely the reason I will never join the ML forum. It feels more like a rapid pack of dogs than a community of owners. I am sure there are others that have extremely different experiences there, but that is just my take on it. Of course YMMV.

James I was truly saddened by the reaction and treatment you received over there. Know that we are thrilled to have you at AC and find you a valuable asset to both your company and this forum. And better that Tonepub be over there than over here  :wink:

danman

« Reply #77 on: 6 Jun 2009, 04:01 pm »
I am truely sorry everybody.............my initial intentions were beat up to death. I did not expect that I would have to be so defensive about a thread!

I did not see this type of immaturity coming and once again, I am very sorry for starting something that I still do not understand!

I think I will take a break from these forums for a while.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 6 Jun 2009, 04:27 pm »
I am truely sorry everybody.............my initial intentions were beat up to death. I did not expect that I would have to be so defensive about a thread!

I did not see this type of immaturity coming and once again, I am very sorry for starting something that I still do not understand!

I think I will take a break from these forums for a while.

Hi Dan,

Please do not let this bother you. You did what you did in good faith and with the hope that all would benefit from a discussion on the CLX from people who are intimately familiar with it. I know I felt that's where it was going but obviously things turned out different through no fault of your own.

james
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2009, 03:15 pm by James Tanner »

DEV

« Reply #79 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:20 pm »
WOW! I just went on that forum and read the entire thread which is now closed, it seems that Tonepub got the last words in.

I'm not affiliated with any audio related business what so ever, this is just a hobby for me. Allot of the negative information written by Tonepub and he really is a reviewer right?, what he wrote obviously only demonstrates to me at least he is not a reviewer I would trust and seems to have issues. When he mentions he has heard the latest Bryston amps and that they are thin sounding etc. along with also mentioning in one of his threads that the Torus product was not comparable to others he had mentioned makes me only laugh. This really does sum it all up for me, when someone makes such "BOLD" statements which are far from being accurate well I guess says it all and demonstrates his "LACK OF CREDIBILITY", he put his own foot in his mouth, actually both.

If I ever happen to come upon a review with his name attached I will discredit and move on.

I have been in this hobby for along time, cost does not really mater to me, it's the end result that only maters, refer to my thread "28B SST SQ mono block tube life?" the Bryston 28's are not thin sounding by any means and the Torus units are very nice paired up.