Basshorns

macrojack

• Restricted
Basshorns
« on: 25 May 2009, 01:55 pm »
I have a pair of Bill Woods AH 300 high frequency horns mounted on a pair of JBL L-200. The horns can reach as low as 400 Hz where the JBL woofers take over. I'm interested in suggestions for a basshorn with a very clear voice that can cover from above 400 hz. down to at least 50 hz. to replace the woofers. Does anyone know of such an animal? So far my searches have yielded very little even among the pro stuff.

rodge827

Re: Basshorns
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2009, 03:59 pm »
macrojack,

Give John Kalinowski a shout he may be able to help you. He's been doing this kind of thing for some time now.

http://www.kcsloudspeakers.com/

rodge

blgtrio54

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2010, 03:37 pm »
Hi Tom, My name is Blair Gardner, I emailed you not to long ago about your horns and talked with you about my system. I found a great basshorn solution from KCS. It is 2 seven ft towers with twin Eminence  18" drivers. These basshorns are as fast as my Oris horns.  They have a viscereal impact. There is a used pair on A'gon similar to my basshorns modeled after the Jensen Imperial speaker cabinet. Good luck with your search. Blair

blgtrio54

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2010, 03:41 pm »
Hi again Tom, Do a search on A'gon under Jensen Imperial and you will see the ad I was referring to. The price is very reasonable at $2500 but you would have to go Pick them up.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2010, 04:23 pm »
Couple of things to note about the physics of horns, and I'll restrict myself to front loaded horns as back loaded horns aren't strictly horns, they're a hybrid.

#1) its pretty hard to get more than about 2.5 octaves from a horn.  So if you want an upper Fc of 400hz, then that means about 75hz or so will be the lower limit.  (without making serious sound quality issues that is.  horn honk is the most common issue from pushing more than 2.5 octaves of bandwidth through a single horn.)

#2) horns are sized relative to the wavelength, which growth exponentially larger with lower freq.  A 50hz horn is HUGE. 

You are going to find it much easier to build a midbass horn and then put subs under it from a practical perspective.

Bill woods had shown a horn that he called a 50hz horn that went up to where he crossed to his 300hz horn, but decided not to make it commercially.  Maybe he should share plans with you and you can build it yourself or find a local craftsman to do it for you.

Elevenhorns.com shows some solutions.  hifiheroin.blogspot.com previews things to come from elevenhorns.com.

« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 01:17 pm by JoshK »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2010, 05:58 pm »
This situation brings to mind a line from :The Circle Game" by Joni Mitchell.

"His dreams have lost some grandeur coming true....". That's my speaker quest in a nutshell. What I have is great, and anything greater will need to be postponed or forgotten. Space and money and a realistic consideration of how I actually use my system all conspire to tell me I've taken this thing far enough.

What I really need is someone to set up my XTA DP224. It's too complicated for a computerphobic geezer like me.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2010, 08:09 pm »
hey blair, did you buy those kcs subs from a seller somewhat local to you, who was selling them w/an avantgarde system?  i drooled then; i drool now!   :green:  and, all those horns in the pics - do you use them as one system?  or two separate systems, that you alternate between?

best,

doug s.

blgtrio54

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2010, 01:54 pm »
Hey Doug, Yes I bought them from Ming Su. He is the importer for GOTO drivers. A guy in Keedysville, Md. owned them and Ming must have bought them from him.  I asked Ming if he would sell the basshorns separately and he said yes. Somehow I was able to get them in my basement. They are friggin huge. The smaller black oris 200's have been sold and I now have a pair of Orpheans with the BMS compression drivers. Blair

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2010, 02:26 pm »
Doug, Blair - I don't know if you guys have figured this out yet, but you are the guys I was trying to get connected. You're both Oris freaks in Maryland, maybe the only two.

hum4god

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2010, 03:30 pm »
here is one ,

an alternative would be front loaded bassreflex as seen by exemplar audio or Bruce Edgar. front loading will be limited in these cases as the horn is too small , but considering space restraints , this might be the best compromise.(?)

100-500hz horn by volvotreter

hum4god

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2010, 03:57 pm »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2010, 08:09 pm »
ya, these bass horns are enormous - then you still need subs for <80hz!   :lol:

doug s.

sts9fan