spikes for vr 7se

violetmachan

spikes for vr 7se
« on: 25 May 2009, 01:28 am »
do the Vr 7se speakers come with special spikes with the original package or the monacor spikes......are they M8 or M10 in spec.....any recommendation for some good spikes which help to optimise  their sound.......any news of the new Vr 77?
cheers
violetmachan

JackD201

Re: spikes for vr 7se
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2009, 06:37 am »
Wake up VSA_Joe this is your department  :green:

No news on the Double 7 yet VM. Last I heard work was being done on refining the aesthetics only. Rumor has it that the supertweeter won't be a ribbon but instead a tiny european soft dome unit.

I couldn't help it. Maybe same intrigue might coax some leaked info out of Joe and Damon  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any news on your Tenor Pre? I can't wait to hear your impressions!

McTwins

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2009, 08:19 am »
You can try Sound Care superspikes. Great spikes that won't scrach your floors. 

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2009, 05:31 pm »
Violetmachan,

Before I had my 9's I had the 7's and VSA provided eight 3/8 spikes that were about 2.5"-3" long for them. You can give Albert a call to see if he has some available. Also you could give Bob at Sound Anchor a call(321-724-1237). He has large spikes available.

Scott
« Last Edit: 26 May 2009, 07:56 pm by disco »

violetmachan

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2009, 10:57 pm »
thanks for all the advice......is 3/8th the  same spec as M8....in spike land
cheers
violetmachan

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2009, 02:19 am »
You can try Sound Care superspikes. Great spikes that won't scrach your floors.

hey McTwins,

I have carpet over concrete.  Not sure these would effectively couple the cabinets to the floor.  What has been your experience?

thx.

McTwins

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2009, 11:00 am »
Violetmachan......
3/8 is not the same as M8, on my VR4GenIII is 3/8 thread (I belive) and I have M6 Sound Care spikes on them. I have a thred that is 3/8 outside where I screw them into the cabinets first and a M6 tread inside where I screw the Soundcare spikes. Hope it's understandable.

es347....
If I where you I would use original spikes and penetrate the carpet so the spikes would hit the concrete floor. I have hard wood floor and the reason I use SoundCare spikes is that it won't scrach my floor and it's more easily to move around. Spikes tends to give tighter bass, but I haven't experimented without spikes so I dont know. It would be better if my hard wood floor would be glued to the concrete floor and I woulden't be using any spikes. There is something called hard wood resonaces, resonance between hard wood and what lying at the bottom.  :wink: 
Thanks 

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2009, 03:28 pm »
It would be better if my hard wood floor would be glued to the concrete floor and I woulden't be using any spikes. There is something called hard wood resonaces, resonance between hard wood and what lying at the bottom.  :wink: 
Thanks 

If I recall the SR manual said something about using granite or marble slabs in such a case. I believe they were called sympathetic vibrations. Ever try it McTwins?  I used granite under my Gen IIIs, SR and 5 to protect the floor and to make them easier to slide around. I glued some fabric to the undersides. There was very little difference if  any with the supplied cups but it looked good and really made it easier to position the speakers. Then again my wood floor is bonded with the concrete below.

McTwins

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2009, 04:08 pm »
JackD201.....
Have been thinking about that, thats another way to go.
Sympathetic resonance is if you have wood floor on the second floor, reading the manual right now. :D
But I do belive It's better to decouple the speaker directly with spikes to the concrete. Dead resonance than that coulden't be better.
I had that in mind with my floor, but I have to drill small holes in the wooden floor and put the spike directly on the concrete, but it woulden't look nice if I had to sell my house sometime and then I'm stuck with that position, not a good idea :D
Thanks

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2009, 03:03 pm »
It would be better if my hard wood floor would be glued to the concrete floor and I woulden't be using any spikes. There is something called hard wood resonaces, resonance between hard wood and what lying at the bottom.  :wink: 
Thanks 

If I recall the SR manual said something about using granite or marble slabs in such a case. I believe they were called sympathetic vibrations. Ever try it McTwins?  I used granite under my Gen IIIs, SR and 5 to protect the floor and to make them easier to slide around. I glued some fabric to the undersides. There was very little difference if  any with the supplied cups but it looked good and really made it easier to position the speakers. Then again my wood floor is bonded with the concrete below.

I had a long conversation with Albert about this and he said the best scenario is carpet over concrete with spikes penetrating the carpet and resting directly on the concrete.