use of the ANY zstat

hifitommy

use of the ANY zstat
« on: 24 May 2009, 06:39 pm »
any zerostat is used as such:

from about 6-10" away, aim the 'stat at the grooves, and while following a path around the grooves, squeeze the trigger SLOWLY (usually clicking indicates youre squeezing too fast).  after the full squeeze, aim the gun away from the record and release.

this is usually adequate.  put the back of your hand near the surface of the record to see if there is any attraction of the hair on your hand.  if not, youre done, if so one more pass ought to do it.

the very best time to zstat your record is when you remove it from the platter after playing.  this is when the charge on the record is ALIVE.  sometimes when you remove a record from a jacket it might be charged and a zstatting might be in order then.

the reason to do this AFTER pllay and BEFORE storing the record is to keep the record from attracting dust in the jacket.  arid climates like alaska may need more than what i have mentioned.  the back of the hand hair trick is very sensitive and effective for assessing the charge status.

a note-if and when the zstat becomes ineffective, and maybe really easy to squeeze, it can be opened and there is a setscrew to tighten on the crystal.  i rejuvenated my old 70s zstat (then marketed by discwasher) by doing that.