DVI to VGA -- can it be done?

jrebman

DVI to VGA -- can it be done?
« on: 23 May 2009, 01:01 pm »
I need to do some initial setup and configuration to my Asus EEE box PC, but it only has a DVI output.  Is there a way to use this with a VGA display, or should I just try to set it up using the TV in the living room with a DVI to HDMI cable?

Once I have the OS serial number entered and my screen reader on the Asus, then I can run headless with a keyboard and a pair of headphones, but need visual assistance to get through the first steps.

Thanks,

Jim

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: DVI to VGA -- can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2009, 01:35 pm »
Hey Jim

Do it on the other one with the adapter cable.  You can do DVI to component but you have to have an external converter box to do it.  Not real cost effective for one time use.

Bryan

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2009, 02:52 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Take care,

Jim

mpaulsen

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2009, 06:14 pm »
If it is a DVI-I or DVI-A connector all you need is a DVI to VGA adapter. If it is a DVI-D then you are out of luck

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2009, 06:24 pm »
Hey Jim

Do it on the other one with the adapter cable.  You can do DVI to component but you have to have an external converter box to do it.  Not real cost effective for one time use.

Bryan

Bryan, why wouldn't a simple DVI/VGA adapter here work? :scratch: Thanks. :D

Cheers,
Robin

edit: awe, just read the post above me so it's gotta be a DVI-D while this is a DVI-I adapter. Knew there had to be a plausable reason that was escaping me. :duh: :lol:

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2009, 07:06 pm »
Thanks folks.  Looks like there are some fairly cheap cable options out there (though Robin, the one you linked is out of stock with no ETA :-) ).

I just have to verify which type of DVI interface the Asus has. For $5 or so, it's worth not having to deal with moving all the crap around and working where there's no decent work surface.  Sitting in front of the audio rack with the screen above head level and a keyboard on the lap will not work :-)

Thanks for the input.  Now to figure out what the Asus has for a DVI port.

-- Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2009, 09:10 pm »

Here's a picture of a DVI-I connector and the link describing the differences between the 2 here. The DVI-D will only have the 24 pins on the left while the DVI-I also has the 4 pins w/horzontal pin on the right. I'm willing to bet the farm that your's is the DVI-D so my last link would be irrelevant.

This thread made me recall when I went to Radio Shack a while back to get a DVI cable for my LCD, of course I got the wrong one and had to make the trip for the right cable. :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2009, 09:24 pm »
Well, being blind I can't see it anyway, but it is a d-type connector if that makes any difference.  My guess is that if this is supposed to be a media pc, then it has to support high-res and audio, but maybe all DVI does that.

As you might have guessed, I'm not a real video guy :D.

-- Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2009, 11:53 pm »
Well, being blind I can't see it anyway, but it is a d-type connector if that makes any difference.  My guess is that if this is supposed to be a media pc, then it has to support high-res and audio, but maybe all DVI does that.

As you might have guessed, I'm not a real video guy :D.

-- Jim

Which model do you have? Here's the Asus website and 2 of the models actually have the DVI-I video output.

Cheers,
Robin

jrebman

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2009, 01:18 am »
Robin,

You da' man!  Thank you.  I've been working on a mouser order for dac parts all afternoon and you beat me to it.  Looks like I have the B202, so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks again,

Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2009, 01:22 am »
I just got lucky,,,, :lol: but you're welcome. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Adriel

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2009, 11:39 pm »
That's not something you should have to order online. Just go to best buy or something.

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2009, 01:42 am »
Actually, for various reasons, one being that I don't do business with best buy, ordering online is a lot easier.  The cable arrived today so I hope to get to try it out this weekend.

-- Jim