4 (66.7%)
NOS tubes
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

best tubes for RM-9MKII

viny*loco

best tubes for RM-9MKII
« on: 21 May 2009, 07:17 am »
Hello Roger, I have two RM-9MKII, i drive one per channel and bi-amp a pair of Merlin VSM-MX speakers.

my configuration is like this:
the left channel of each amp have ULTRON EL-34 tube and drives the tweeter of the merlin
and the right channel of both amps have RAM LABS KT-88 for the woofer of the merlin.

it's ok use diferent tubes on one amp?  :scratch:

one of my amps are making noises all the time and i have to biasing very frequently.
i think the 6DJ8 need to be change.
(i bought the RM-9 5 years ago to a friend, he play the amps at least 4 years before and i never change one tube...)

I want to re-tube my RM-9MKII, so please give me your recomendation, what tubes should i bought ? (driver and power tubes)

regards

viny*loco

Re: best tubes for RM-9MKII
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2009, 05:30 am »
hi, somebody can explain me how can i insert a picture?
thansk!

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2009, 02:18 pm »
No pictures now Serg. Gallery option is not enabled in this emergency software we are using after the host crash. The only way is to upload them to the internet on your own server like photobucket or your ISP host's space, then link to it here using the image icon button under the BOLD button (B) There is a new version of AC being written which will make posting pictures much easier.

As for the tubes, I will venture a guess that you should be fine using different tubes per side, as long as they are biased correctly. el34 and KT88 require very different bias settings. But biasing RM9 is very easy, so you probably got that covered. Confirm with Roger so I don't steer you wrong.

As for best tubes, Roger in his RM200 Stereophile review rebuttal says that tubes are part of circuit, together they make the sound differences. One tube will sound different in various amps. Roger runs his tubes very different from other tube amps, so tube descriptions you read on asylum may not match your experience. I had the same problem with Manley Snappers, which run el34s at max plate 575V, there are few current production tubes able to handle that anymore, so tube opinions were worthless to me, I had to buy and try, and the tube's behavior would change batch to batch.

My buddy has RM9mk2 and has tried various tubes starting with RAM Labs el34s. Then SED 6550s matched by Audio Research were an improvement in authority and bass control, but not terribly refined. Then he got new Genelex Gold Lion reissue KT88s, and he is thrilled with that playing on Spendor S8e.

viny*loco

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2009, 07:53 pm »
thank you very much for your coments richidoo !!!

rbwalt

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2009, 03:21 pm »
hi. i had a rm9mkII driving my merlins also. i had seimens EL34's and they were great. they lasted over 10 yrs. bobby at merlin thinks the EL34's are the best also. i now have a RM9SE driving my merlin vsm mxe's and they are seimens EL34's.the sound i have is simply stunning. i am using cardas clear speaker wire and interconnects along with golden reference(lead free power cables) and JPS AC+ power cords for my power conditioners. bobby is the best one to ask on the tube question for the merlins as roger i believe has never heard them before at least the new ones.

rob w.

viny*loco

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2009, 01:53 pm »
thank you very much rbwalt!

rbwalt

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2009, 03:13 pm »
sergio what speaker wires and interconnects are you using? are you using the jumper wires that bobby at merlin recommends? they make a huge difference. what we want is balance that is why it is best not to mix and match.

rob.

viny*loco

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2009, 05:10 am »
hi Rob, yes i have the jumper wires.
I'm using straight wire virtuoso speakers wire and RCA transparent cable/kimber cable...
i want change the interconects too... what cables do you have?
thansk!

rbwalt

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2009, 02:29 pm »
segio i am now using cardas clear speaker wire and interconnects. i was using cardas golden reference cables. the new clear wire is in a league all of its own.simply the best i have heard. very natural and open in the mids. the highs are pristine and extended. the bottom end is extended and has great definition and weight.to sum up the cardas clear wire is free of any harshness,glare and grunge. it is so quiet sounding and smooth it is uncanny.it is not cheap but i highly recommend it. the sound that is coming out of my merlins with my RM9SE( with seimens EL34's) is truly amazing. just ask bobby at merlin or rich at signature sound.

rob w.

viny*loco

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2009, 09:03 pm »
wow Rob... sounds very good the review of your system... a lot of people told me the same about cardas cables... anyone has test the Ram labs cables?
the E34L could be use on the RM-9?
what drivers tubes do you have?
regards

Ps: Roger where are you?

rbwalt

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2009, 03:36 pm »
sergio iam using 6BQ7A driver tubes in my RM9SE. The SE uses 3 per channel.The SE is not the same as the MKII. i am using EL34 seimens tubes. i think E34L's are the same as EL34's just lettered differently. so they should work in the MKII.

rob w.