A Mechanical Engineering Work of Art

JakeJ

A Mechanical Engineering Work of Art
« on: 20 May 2009, 01:53 am »
My new tonearm and armboard.  :drool:

Really looking forward to getting this installed and dialed in!

toobluvr

Re: A Mechanical Engineering Work of Art
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2009, 02:57 pm »

Nice Jake!  I recognize the SME mount, but what is the arm?

I just picked this up:

Kuzma Stogi Reference

Not the purdiest gal, but man she's built and can really sing!

8)

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2009, 03:05 pm »
The arm is the SME M2-9 (9 for 9").  Retails for about $1500 but I got mine for $625 delivered from my favorite B&M in PDX, Echo Audio.  :thumb:

Best Regards,
JakeJ

Anybody want to buy a Graham Robin?  :wink:

Norman Tracy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2009, 03:16 pm »
The arm is the SME M2-9 (9 for 9").  Retails for about $1500 but I got mine for $625 delivered from my favorite B&M in PDX, Echo Audio.  :thumb:

Serious thumbs up for Kurt and gang at Echo Audio in Portland :thumb:

I didn't realize you were up in the fair city of Portland, Jake.  Cool beans :)

John

toobluvr

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2009, 03:28 pm »

I don't know about the Robin, but I once owned the bigger brother (and highly regarded) Graham 1.5 tc.  I could never cotton to it......found it dry, lean and analytical.  Not enough bloom and body.  I get much more enjoyment from my SME V, so I'm definitely more in the SME camp.

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2009, 04:31 pm »

John

I wish!  No I'm in SE Washington but Kurt will ship small items to me and I will drive the ~400 mile round trip at the drop of a pin if there's something I really want.  (Shameless plug #2)  Anyone interested in a pair of hot-rodded Quad 988's?  Mine are at Echo now and setup for demo!

I do miss the metropolitan areas I've lived in, Seattle, Portland, and SF/San Jose.

JakeJ

kenreau

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2009, 06:03 am »

John

I wish!  No I'm in SE Washington but Kurt will ship small items to me and I will drive the ~400 mile round trip at the drop of a pin if there's something I really want.  (Shameless plug #2)  Anyone interested in a pair of hot-rodded Quad 988's?  Mine are at Echo now and setup for demo!

I do miss the metropolitan areas I've lived in, Seattle, Portland, and SF/San Jose.

JakeJ

JakeJ -

I'm in Portland and was just in Echo Audio (and know Kurt).  The best bricks and mortar and online store I am aware of.  I wish I would have seen that tonearm there. 

I did see your speakers and the custom cross-overs, very nice.  I went to see the JA Michell Orbe tt.  It is very nice and a very reasonable price on it.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2009, 12:26 pm »
Hi Kenreau,

Thanks for the shout-out.  I remember receiving a welcome PM from you when I joined AC.

Kurt and his minions at Echo are some of the best in the business, knowledgeable, understated, and polite.  No high pressure sales tactics. Never disses another dealer or product.  Just the truth.

That Mitchell setup does look very nice. Dunno if it would better my SOTA Sapphire though.  :scratch:

The quads are almost perfect...until you play some large symphonic music or a really big complex piece.  For chamber, small ensemble, jazz quartet/sextet, solo acoustic and/or voice, just about any simple form of music they simply can't be beat.  Nothing in my experience sounds and natural and musical as they do.  Maybe the big 2905's can do it but I've not read this yet.  I've also not heard any Acoustats, SoundLabs, or larger Martin-Logans so they may be able to do justice to the big orchestral work I love.

My first taste of 'stats was actually a Stax SR-40/SRD-4 kit my folks bought me for Christmas my senior year in HS.  I hooked them up to an early NAD integrated and was in sonic heaven.  My Mom would literally have to come drag me away to get any chores done.  :lol:  I wore the new clean out of those Stax and finally had to throw them away in about 1984/5.  I am planning on acquiring a newer set in the future.

Hopefully I'll get the SME installed this weekend, although part of me wishes I were camping instead.

Take care folks,
JakeJ