Hey guys, check out my new speakers..

Marbles

« on: 19 Jan 2003, 01:08 am »

What do you guys think?

This 12 ton system is fully active with 30kW of amplification, equipped with 24 ultrahigh efficiency planar-magnetic HF-units, 24 15-inch LF drivers and 48 6-inch MF drivers. Placed in a specially prepared subterranean listening room of 45,000 cubic feet, it presents sound with incredible dynamics and limitless power, easily reproducing live concert levels at a distance of 10 meters.

Haoleb

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2003, 01:15 am »
One million us dollars. what a nice round number.for that price you could just pay bands to come and play for you!

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2003, 01:31 am »
I had to get this turntable as my source, the Lirpa Linda

Check out the reviews  :o

http://www.audioreview.com/TurnTables/Lirpa,Labs,Lirpa,Turbo,Steamtable/PRD_121333_1597crx.aspx

Dan Banquer

New Speakers
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2003, 02:30 am »
O.K. Marbles; didn't you do this on Harmonic Discord? No offense my friend but you are in desperate need of another spoof. How about a picture of the LIRPA Labs turntable? along with the pile of coal needed to run it. How about a picture of a tri-amped two way loudspeaker next? Marbles; you could start the next high end audio trend with that one.

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2003, 02:52 am »
No pic yet of the Lirpa, but here is a pic of my new 1 M Mothra power cable

The Original Mothra Power Cord -

This was the first Mothra Research audiophile product, and still our biggest seller. Other companies try to make big power cords, and we break wind in their general direction. As big as a lead pipe? As big as your arm? As big as a boa constrictor? As big as a car? As big as Jasmine's thighs? Ha ! These babies are bigger than your average house, and more expensive, too.

Haoleb

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2003, 03:31 am »
Now, i DO remeber seeing that pic before.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2003, 07:03 am »
I realize this is humor, however it reminds me of something.  If audiophiles are so keen on REPRODUCING live sound, why don't they just buy the gear they used at LIVE SOUND concerts?  It's not really that expensive compared to the hifi stuff.   PA cabinets can be gotten for what some folks pay for a goddamn cable.  Don't need esoteric amps either, just a pile of solid state amps (driven into clipping I might add) and plenty of volume.  There's your live sound right there.  Ears hurt you say?  Of course they do!  They hurt when you see live music too!  Live music is all about low to medium fidelity and high volume.

markC

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2003, 07:17 am »
Because,of course, we want as loud as it goes without that nasty ear ache. For that, we can go to the local bar and see a live band. Then again, either I'm getting old, or it really doesn't sound natural when the bass line wiggles my pant leg.

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2003, 10:54 am »
Hey Marbles, if you have any power cord left over I could use about 10 feet.  With that power cord I won't need any capacitors in my new amp I am designing. :D

Dan Banquer

Mothra Power Cord
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2003, 07:21 pm »
That's a pretty big coffee table you have there Marbles. Have you thought about having it sanded down and putting a nice finish on it. Remember the High End audio mantra.... If it doesn't look good it certainly can't sound good.

wshuff

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2003, 07:25 pm »
I had that same Engima/Lirpa setup in my attic, but I kept having problems with the coal furnace and boiler, which I installed downstairs.  I always felt like I was picking up inteference in the long run of copper pipe, so I switched to PVC, but felt like I lost some of the realism, as all the instruments took on a plastic quality.  Eventually I gave up on that setup, which was painful because with the price of coal I could run the music 24 hours a day AND heat my house.  I have to admit that I was a little lazy and didn't like cleaning out the furnace.  But then I heard the Bose Acoustic Wave radio with the CD player and credit card sized remote.  Well, that was all it took, and the Enigma was sold, the Lirpa is now heating the local school, and I invested the money in Enron.  But I can't complain about the sound.  Thanks Paul Harvey!

DVV

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:25 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
No pic yet of the Lirpa, but here is a pic of my new 1 M Mothra power cable

A person driven, tubeless all-terrain, servo assisted, hydraulic power cable? Wow! And it supports your sub bass driver too? It should really be cost-effective, Rob.

BTW, what did the wife say? I refer to the smell of diesel exhaust in her living room.

Cheers,
DVV

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:47 pm »
Well, that is of course just the delivery vehicle...didn't you say get the thickest cable I could find?  Something about cross sectional density?

Anyway I love the smell of coal burning in the morning :-)  My wife uses the Lirpa to make tea, but it really is a great TT, except for that blasted steam whistle I keep hearing.

The Lirpa is great at making electricity too,  good thing as the speakers are active with 30kW of amplification.  It really cuts down on the fuel bill to run the Lirpa  :mrgreen:   Can't imagine what my electricity bill would be like running a CDP!

John Bauder

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2003, 02:32 am »
I have that exact set up - the lypa turntable and million dollar speakers.  Except the speaker wouldn't fint in my listening room so I upgrade to 4 sets of BOSE Acoustimas speakers.  That way I have an ultimate subwoofer in each corner and those 'full range" cubes all over the place.  The TT is in the garage and hooked to the amp with a long RCA cable.  I had to spiice in lamp cord to make it long enough.  This whole this is powered by my AIWA boom box.  I am in heaven!!!

DVV

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2003, 07:51 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Well, that is of course just the delivery vehicle...didn't you say get the thickest cable I could find?  Something about cross sectional density?

Anyway I love the smell of coal burning in the morning :-)  My wife uses the Lirpa to make tea, but it really is a great TT, except for that blasted steam whistle I keep hearing.

The Lirpa is great at making electricity too,  good thing as the speakers are active with 30kW of amplification.  It really cuts down on the fuel bill to run the Lirpa  :mrgreen:   Can't imagine what my electricity bill would be like running a CDP!

Well, of course, one day, when you have matured in your juvenile tastes, you will upgrade to a Yam turntable. Since Yam comes after Lirpa, no coal, they are into nuclear fusion, and it delivers the lowest wow and flutter ever, despite the Goodyear Eagle 265/80 R 19 tubeless, all weather transmission belt (which, by the way, works well in snow as well).

I understand the FCC banned them as a health hazard, but what's a little cancer compared to audio bliss?

Ciao,
DVV