First post, first question :-)

McIntos

First post, first question :-)
« on: 14 May 2009, 03:00 am »
First, I hate it when I don't check spelling before hitting enter, thus my user name McIntos... But hey, H's are usually silent :-)

I have a Mac MC2000 @130 wpc and am thinking about retiring my Martin Logan SL3's.

My room is 23 X 26, 10 ft coved ceiling (doubles as a theater).  The room is not rectangular though, the back wall isnshaped like half an octogon.

While I would love some annies or the sevens on the "A'gon" right now, I am realistically looking at the VR 4 SR MK II.

Are they enough speaker to fill this size room?

Thanks in advance.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: First post, first question :-)
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2009, 03:13 am »
VR 4 SR MK II?  Buy them, trust me.

bentknee

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2009, 03:35 am »
  I'll second that!  You will be very happy!

McIntos

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2009, 03:46 am »
Why?  Sell me :-)

130 wpc is enough to drive them in my room to acceptable levels?

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2009, 04:30 am »
"Acceptable Levels" is a relative I guess  :wink:

How about a comparison with the SL3s then.

The SR Mk2s are 3dB more sensitive and have a low of 4 ohms to the SL3's 1.5 ohms. They will play louder with about have the juice. To put this in perspective, as you probably already know, 3 dB is about the difference between running just one of your speakers and running them both. Twice as loud? Not quite but that's what 3dB sounds like.

Being dipoles the SL3 can sound louder than the sensitivity would suggest though having the benefit of the backwave BUT the SRs aren't ordinary front firing box speakers. They've got backfiring signals too. They have polar/dispersion characteristics that can be tuned between  cardioid and supercardioid. Standing behind them you'll get better midrange than a lot of speakers from the front. Please don't ask how the heck AVS does this with just a rear tweeter. I've been trying to figure it out for the better part of 6 years.

In practical terms this means the side rejection of dipoles with the benefit of tuning between the tonal balance of omnis and directional speakers. It means with patience and a willingness to experiment with their placement and rear ambience settings these babies can be made to sing the way THE USER wants it from soft and diffuse to razor sharp with everything in between.

The bass modules configured with four 9"SEAS aluminum drivers set in a hybrid transmission line will likewise move a whole lot more air than the SL3s and easily bring you down to bass in the 20s room permitting.

As for the midrange, the Audax is a real gem. After proper break-in they are comparable to electrostatics in speed and refinement. I compare the midrange of VSA speakers to my handy dandy Stax 404s and use the same to prove it to non believers.

How about the highs then. I might give the edge to the SL3s in terms of resolution and delicacy but the 5s,7s and 9s won't lag behind if they do at all. If you're into jazz and rock however the VIFA ring radiators will have the edge in attack and give a more realistic rendering of brass instruments and metal percussion instruments as well.

Your amp will definitely do but according to other members here. The bigger brothers of the MC2000 will kick the speakers up several notches higher.

It's always nice to know that the speakers won't be the limiting factor should you decide to buy them.

:thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2009, 06:06 pm »
I owned the VR4 SR MKIIs for several months and am moving up to the VR5 Anniversaries.  I'm here to tell you the VR4s are wonderful speakers, better than anything in their price range and even higher.  Having owned ML Aerius i's I feel the VR4s are at least the equal of the MLs in treble resolution and kill them in the midrange and bass.  I run MAC electronics too and feel there is great synergy between that and any VSA speaker.

Hey guys, what has happened to our picture galleries??

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2009, 08:19 pm »
Hi Gavin,

Seems that the whole gallery is missing.

Hope they will be returned.

Most of the pictures are 'between the ears' :lol:

Cor

Delacroix

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2009, 02:24 am »
RE the Gallery -- see the post under Notices:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68099.msg630198#new

In short, the outage is part of an ongoing provider problem and AC is back only in part, the rest will follow in due course.