Fist one roasted is the Bolivia - only a City to City+ roast is recommended

roasted it to first crack and immediately dumped into a dish to cool

very smooth with floral hints

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Four new coffees
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2009, 04:48 pm »
Got a source link or were these locally obtained? Especially interested in that Bolivian "Cup of Excellence". :drool: Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2009, 05:02 pm »
Yes, I'd love to know good sources for green coffee beans. DIY roasting (probably heat gun & dog bowl method, but the popcorn popper hasn't been ruled out) is on the to-do list.

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2009, 05:33 pm »
My  green comes from Theta Ridge, Behmor is my roaster,been roasting for 12 yrs,,refuse to pay ridiculous prices for dreck thats been sitting around on a shelve.i roast Col.,,and Guatemalan,still have part of a green bag of Kona from probably 8 yrs ago,so shows ya how excited i get about the Kona,at least as far as coffee goes that is.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 07:52 pm »
Got a source link or were these locally obtained? Especially interested in that Bolivian "Cup of Excellence". :drool: Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

These green coffee beans are from www.sweetmarias.com

I have been ordering from them for about 10 years, they are very consumer oriented.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2009, 08:12 pm »
Roasted a batch of Costa Rica Lourdes de Naranjo - Genesis

Probably put a little too much in the glass chamber ( Fresh Roast Plus 8 )...these green beans are among the smallest bean I have seen, yet when they roast they almost double in size.

These call for City + to Full City, so I went Full City on this batch. They reached first crack in about 4 minutes, all beans together within about 12 seconds. I had tilted the roaster a bit to get better bean circulation from the beginning of the roast. Then in about another minute, all the beans reached second crack and I knew I would have to do a quick end to the roast to catch them before they roasted too much. I turned off the roaster and dumped them into a large bowl, but not before some had gotten to the stage where there was significant oil on the outside of the bean (and plenty of smoke escaped as I held the bowl up under the exhaust hood ). I think this is still Full City, just barely.

Well it did not disappoint - I can taste the toasted nut and praline, with a real roundness in the mouth.

This one was limited to one pound, and I can see why.

Keep in mind that Sweet Maria's mostly deals in small-lot purchases, each cupped by Sweet Maria's - so if you really like a coffee, you need to turn around and order more because it may be gone!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2009, 05:05 am »
Ordered a few more tonight

1042-2   Ethiopia Moplaco Yirga Cheffe -2 lbs    1   $11.21  - I have always loved a good Yirg
1057   Yemen Mokha Sharasi -1 lb                            1   $7.80  - supposed to be good (more expensive)
1053   Kenya Nyeri Peaberry Kagumo-ini -1 lb            1   $6.10 - I have always have good luck with a Peaberry

My recent favorite, the Ethiopian Bonko is long gone from SweetMarias  :( and I just roasted the last of my 2lbs last week. I have been finishing up some oif the others like Guatemala Acatenango Gesha

This time I will roast a couple batches of each, and if there is one a really like I will order several pounds, hopefully before it runs out.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2009, 01:52 am »
Just picked up 7 pounds of my favorite roasted Rwandan Buf Mills coffee beans and a 1 pound sample of a highly recommended coffee bean, the Kenya Kiamabara from my local roaster, MochaJoes of Brattleboro, Vermont. From the MochaJoes website; Our newest high-end Kenyan offering, Kenya  is truly for the lover of African coffees. Evocative of ripe, sweet cherries and vanilla bean, with a rich, red-wine acidity.

I now regret buying so much of the Rwandan coffee which I really love for it's feast of flavors including dark& creamy chocolate, carmelized pecan, and notes of sweet red cherry. As much as I truely love this coffee, I've gone thru about 14 pounds of this bean and this new bean from Kenya is a refreshing change of pace for my palate. :drool:

Both beans can be had @ www.mochajoes.com. The Kenya Kiamabara is a limited time only bean while they have a steady supply of the bean from Rwanda which I've been exclusively buying since last march. I'm placing another order for 7-8 pounds of the Kenyan coffee bean for freezer storage. I'll be set for the best part of the winter.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2009, 09:30 pm »
I think very highly of the coffee from Sweet Maria's too. It's some of the best I've had.

I also sometimes buy green beans from Smith Farms in Hawaii. Their coffee is really excellent, and they are super nice people.

http://www.smithfarms.com/

I have actually been drinking more tea than coffee recently. I've found Upton Tea to be the best place to buy tea and herbal tisanes. The quality is amazing, and the prices are low.

I'm drinking their Pu-Erh right now.

scp2

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2009, 03:13 am »
Ok I have been reeled in to the world of fresh roast...read this thread...went out bought an air popper ordered some beans and roasted my first batch tonight...and tomorrow..I WILL ENJOY!! My wife says "all you need is another hobby?"

Thanks jqp

randytsuch

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:10 pm »
Hi guys
Coffee is my current hobby, I have a modded, PIDed popcorn popper I use for roasting.
This is a great resource for buying coffee
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php
Most of my current coffee has come from them, I have also ordered from Theta Ridge and Sweet Marias is a standard for home roasters, I think everyone starts with Sweet Marias.

Randy

gonefishin

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2009, 02:50 pm »
I think very highly of the coffee from Sweet Maria's too. It's some of the best I've had.

I also sometimes buy green beans from Smith Farms in Hawaii. Their coffee is really excellent, and they are super nice people.

http://www.smithfarms.com/

I have actually been drinking more tea than coffee recently. I've found Upton Tea to be the best place to buy tea and herbal tisanes. The quality is amazing, and the prices are low.

I'm drinking their Pu-Erh right now.

Thanks for the tip about SmithFarms.  I just got an order from SweetMaria's, but I'll try SmithFarms on my next order.

I do like tea, but I haven't tried any better teas yet...one of these days.  I'll check out Upton Tea too.

Thanks!
  dan

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:05 am »
Ordered more coffee...

So far I have tried the Hawaii Kona XF Greenwell Farms - it roasts up really nice with large beans and smells great. But I have to say to meit is just average tasting. Maybe I expected too much as it was $15 per pound green.

Now trying the El Salvador Finca Kilimanjaro. Sweet Marias said: "We received a reduced amount and have limited sales to 1 or 2 pounds. Read the full review but expect a bright Central with almost African character; mint, winey fruit, and tea-like tastes." WOw is this stuff great! Even the way I drink it (with a little sucralose and a little heavy cream) lots of great flavor comes through!

Next I will be trying the Costa Rica Don Mayo "La Ponderosa" Bourbon. I will think of Dan Blocker. Then comes some Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca La Maravilla and some Brazil Daterra Farms - Sweet Yellow. I ordered some roasted Guatemala La Maravilla SWP Decaf for the old folks at home.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:47 am »
Well, I finally bought a conical burr grinder. You read about how crucial these things are for brewing a proper cup of coffee.

I had my doubts about how important a burr grinder is on the list of important things for that perfect cup of coffee. Since I roast my beans fresh from green beans that have been chosen from the best lots around the world, and then place the freshly course-ground beans into a filterless press-pot to brew for a few minutes, I felt that I could grind the beans just fine with a $20 Krups grinder. In spite of the fact that someone has pontificated that grinding beans with a blade grinder imparts too much heat to the beans before I pour 205 degree water on them, I had decided that I would risk it. I even read on my green bean website that using a blade grinder would be fine for beans going into a Press Pot.

Then I found that the Bodum Antigua was on sale for $100. I could could finally experience coffee with the missing link, for the  price of 5 blade grinders.

Now that I have ground my first batch of beans with the Bodum Anitgua, not much has changed. As far as heat being transfered to the poor beans, this burr grinder does as much violence as a blade grinder. In fact the grinder can not be used for more than 40 seconds every ten minutes, because it generates too much heat. It also makes more racket than the blade grinder.

My first look at the evenly ground beans left me unimpressed. They are not that evenly ground. Granted there is not as much finely ground coffee as when I try to course-grind with a blade grinder, but a burr grinder's course ground beans are not perfect little uniform grounds. On average, much more of the coffee is uniform, but it is not as perfect a grind as you would hope, for all the hype.

I have not been able yet to tell the difference flavor-wise but I will try some blind tests with some friends and report back.

All in all for $100 it is probably more convenient to use this than a blade grinder. The ground beans can be stored more conveniently in the little compartment with a hinged cover for a day or so. Also it is more stable sitting on the counter. Perhaps for finely ground coffee you would appreciate the uniformity more, but I am not sure.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2010, 01:04 am »
From what I've read, it's not so much about the looks of the grind as it is how the bean is actually being ground. A burr grinder is suppose to do less damage to the oil in the beans which is actually were your flavor is coming from. A non burr grinder can scorch the coffee oils as the beans are being crushed which can lead to a bitter cup of coffee. A Burr grinder slices the bean which better maintains the quality of the oil. Can you tell the difference? Well I guess that comes down to whether you have a golden tongue to match your golden audiophile ear.  :lol:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2010, 01:19 am »
I picked up a Capresso burr grinder from Costco for $30. Works great and definitely improved the flavor over the chopper blade version.
M

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2010, 01:32 am »
I picked up a Capresso burr grinder from Costco for $30. Works great and definitely improved the flavor over the chopper blade version.
M

I think I only paid $30-$40 for my La Pavoni burr grinder. I've never had any other type of grinder so I can't speak out of experience, but only what I've read. I never took up drinking coffee til 9 years ago when I quite the Crown Royal. As it was with my whiskey, I didn't want to half-step my coffee drinking experience so I did the research before jumping into the per cup brewing arena.

Cheers,
Robin

Nick77

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:31 pm »
         Perhaps for finely ground coffee you would appreciate the uniformity more, but I am not sure.                                                       

I believe you hit the nail on the head, i have noticed flavor differences by changing the grind with a burr grinder. But this is on a finer grind scale using drip filter.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2010, 01:38 pm »
I use a Gaggia MDF grinder.  For expresso, it creates a much richer and heavier crema than either blade or high speed burr grinders that I have had.  I've had it for about 7-8 years and it should last another 10.  Parts are replaceable as the model has been around for decades. 
The advantages are less obvious for drip or press coffee.

Scott

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm »
The burr grinder is going strong...

Tonight I am enjoying this one. I bought 5 pounds of it last year - I am a huge Yirga Cheffe fan,  roasted lightly, so when I find a highly rated one I go for it. Remember it is green so it keeps for a few years!

Ethiopia Organic Yirga Cheffe, Koke Coop

Yirga Cheffe coffees are a renowned wet-processed type with effervescent brightness in the cup. This past season, buying Yirga Cheffe coffees from specific mills has been difficult, as the new Ethiopia Coffee Exchange rules took effect and the traditional auction was abandoned. The new rules mean that the coffee suppliers will be paid quickly by the exporters; and a new level of transparency in pricing within the country. But it has also meant that, for the time being, we don't know the exact mill or farmer group where outstanding lots like this originate. Nonetheless, it is not like great Ethiopia lots have disappeared. And in fact we were able to buy coffees direct from the Unions (the name for a farmer's cooperative) that are traceable to the source. This is from Koke coffee mill (pronounced Ko-Kay), a part of the Yirga Cheffe Coffee Union. It was a late season lot, and comes from a place I have visited multiple times, including early in this harvest. This coffee has amazing sweetness and brightness. It's a coffee where I feel the flavor profile is heavily influenced buy the cherry selection in harvesting: this is what coffee tastes like when only crimson-red coffee cherries are picked. I kept my sample roasts lighter, within the City to City+ range, as it always seems a crime to eclipse the wonderful brightness of a great Yirga Cheffe with an overlay of darker roast flavor. The dry fragrance is highly floral, with both rose petal and lemon blossom scents, and ripe cherry fruit notes, It has a candy-like sweetness that in underscored in the wet aromatics as well. An aroma of lavender, stone fruits and mandarin orange emerge and an amaretto hint. The cup has sweet fruited notes, floral elements, and a silky mouthfeel. Peach nectar, apricot preserves, sweet mandarin orange, almond, passion fruit juice; these are some of the delicate fruited notes that come from the lighter roast of this coffee. Jasmine tea, rose hips and hibiscus notes come forward as the cup cools. City+ roast has a more silky body, and perhaps a slightly more refined finish, but also more restrained fruit notes. I recommend a very light roast here, although the roast color will not be attractive and there will be a wrinkly surface texture to the bean, I think it gives the best cup. And holy smokes, I made some amazing SO espresso from this coffee.

Grade: 2
Region: Yirga Cheffe District
Mark: Koke Coop, Yirga Cheffe Coffee Union
Processing: Wet Process
Crop: January 2010 Arrival, GrainPro bags
Appearance: 0 d/300gr, 17-18 Screen
Varietal: Local Yirga Cheffe cultivars
Intensity/Prime Attribute: Medium-Mild intensity / Ripe fruit sweetness, spice, rounded character, syrupy body
Roast: City roast is best here, while City+ offers more balance and a slightly better finish.
Compare to: A very sweet cup with remarkable clarity in the cup flavors, moderate acidity, rounded cup character. This is not one of those citrusy-acidic Yirgs, but has a deeper, less "prickly" acidity.