Name the "Beast/HT4"

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Name the "Beast/HT4"
« Reply #380 on: 24 Oct 2009, 01:55 am »
Jeff:

Good name.  Renaistre is also a good name.

I also nominate "Cry Baby".  After you hear them, you'll cry like a baby.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #381 on: 24 Oct 2009, 02:32 am »
i like the soundscape name, if there's no infringement issues.   however, if there is a problem w/that, then, i like my earlier suggestions of epoch or millennium. 

but, as i also said earlier, i still really like ht-4.  of course, w/a 10" & 12" iteration, this may not work well...

as i also said earlier - all the talk about finding a name indicating this is the pinnacle of speaker design, (one of mine included) - does this mean that salk is done, and won't ever try to come out with something even better?  i doubt it...   8)  another reason i like the soundscape name.

doug s. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #382 on: 24 Oct 2009, 03:26 am »
SonicScape, if SoundScape can't be used.

Nuance

« Reply #383 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:03 am »
Salk Jukebox.  My wife says they look like one, and she's right.  :)

coke

« Reply #384 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:41 pm »

Salk Reify

:dance:

coke

« Reply #385 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:45 pm »
SonicScape, if SoundScape can't be used.

How about modifying that a little.

Sonescape

Like a sonic escape. Sort of like escaping reality into a sonic adventure.   i'm not sure if the prefix son has any other meanings though.

funkmonkey

« Reply #386 on: 24 Oct 2009, 06:40 pm »
Salk Sound Envelop
Salk Sound Immersion
Salk Sound Entice
Salk Sound Intrigue
Salk Sound Enamour

Ace Deprave

« Reply #387 on: 24 Oct 2009, 09:13 pm »
Salk Deity

*A deity is a postulated preternatural or supernatural immortal being, who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, and respected by believers.

resonance

« Reply #388 on: 29 Oct 2009, 08:08 pm »
Musings on naming the "Beasts"
What started the name beasts anyway? The HT-4 do have a squat, troll like, R2D2 look to them. Certainly are't "trash canny" like the Wilson Sashas, but neither are they sculpted elegance like the Vandy 7s. The Beasts do have a mightyness about them like seated majesties with their crowns on. The appear to have some authority for the form they take, staking a claim for their presence, taking a new stance for the way music should sound. Them that makes the rules sits on thrones. Say the word "Thrones" out loud. The sound of Thrones has a resonance, like the music of a strummed chord with a long decay. Name the Beasties the Salk Sound Thrones, same meter and rhythm as Song Towers.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #389 on: 29 Oct 2009, 08:12 pm »
Ultimate 12
Expression 12

Wayner

« Reply #390 on: 29 Oct 2009, 08:48 pm »
Twelve.

Wayner

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #391 on: 3 Nov 2009, 05:28 am »
Twelve.

Wayner

I like it.

I have another one:  SoundShaper

And another:  SoundChaser

fishinbob

« Reply #392 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:13 pm »
Oh what the hell....... how about Salk Sound Portal(s)...... yeah it sounds like you've got a mouthfull of marbles perhaps, but it does sort of suggest an advent to musicality.

fsimms

Status on HT4?
« Reply #393 on: 16 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm »
Jim, how about an update on the HT4.  The last time you talked about it was before the RMAF and you said you hoped to talk to RAL in Denver. 

I am looking forward to hearing them and then putting in an order for an HT4-10.

Thanks,

Bob

jsalk

Re: Status on HT4?
« Reply #394 on: 17 Nov 2009, 04:14 am »
Jim, how about an update on the HT4.  The last time you talked about it was before the RMAF and you said you hoped to talk to RAL in Denver. 

I am looking forward to hearing them and then putting in an order for an HT4-10.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob -

OK, an update it is. 

We met with FAL representatives at RMAF.  At first, they brought out charts and graphs to demonstrate that there were no problems with the FAL driver.  So I asked them to take a seat and told them I would demonstrate the issue.  After about 15 seconds, they both jumped out of their chairs, got out voice recorders and started documenting the issue.  Once they knew an issue existed, they informed us that they were totally committed to addressing it.

This past week, they informed me that the were ready to ship a new pair of revised drivers for testing.  I am expecting them any day now.

Since they have been working on this situation since last May, Dennis and I decided to try one additional driver we had not tested in this design before.  We  thought it was worth a test just in case FAL was unable identify and address the problem we were having (which, by the way, was relatively minor).

About a week ago, Dennis informed me that while he was not expecting any driver to top the FAL, the new driver not only performed as well as the FAL, it actually performed better in a few areas.  So we purchased another pair of these drivers and are in the process of building prototype test cabinets utilizing them.

So...within the next couple of weeks, we will have two complete systems up and running - one with the FAL and one with the new driver.  We will then A/B them, make a final decision, officially announce the model and start building.

The development process for this speaker has been a long, drawn-out affair - going on three years.  Those who have heard the prototype can attest to the fact that this speaker is something very special.  But while we have been demonstrating it since last spring, we simply did not want to release it until it was perfect.

I think we are just a few short weeks away from putting the final touches on what will be our new flagship model.  A lot of effort has gone into its development.  And more than one person asked if I really thought it was worth it considering the state of the economy and the fact that this speaker design will be more costly than any we have offered in the past.  But when I listen to it, any doubts that may exist simply evaporate.  I don't know how many pairs we will sell, but I don't really care.  I have my pair and that is justification enough for me.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #395 on: 17 Nov 2009, 10:59 pm »
I think we are just a few short weeks away from putting the final touches on what will be our new flagship mode.

Kewl!  I can hold my breath for that long!  aa

Bob

jhm731

« Reply #396 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:54 am »
We met with FAL representatives at RMAF.  At first, they brought out charts and graphs to demonstrate that there were no problems with the FAL driver.  So I asked them to take a seat and told them I would demonstrate the issue.  After about 15 seconds, they both jumped out of their chairs, got out voice recorders and started documenting the issue.  Once they knew an issue existed, they informed us that they were totally committed to addressing it.

This past week, they informed me that the were ready to ship a new pair of revised drivers for testing.  I am expecting them any day now.

Since they have been working on this situation since last May, Dennis and I decided to try one additional driver we had not tested in this design before.  We  thought it was worth a test just in case FAL was unable identify and address the problem we were having (which, by the way, was relatively minor).

About a week ago, Dennis informed me that while he was not expecting any driver to top the FAL, the new driver not only performed as well as the FAL, it actually performed better in a few areas.  So we purchased another pair of these drivers and are in the process of building prototype test cabinets utilizing them.

So...within the next couple of weeks, we will have two complete systems up and running - one with the FAL and one with the new driver.  We will then A/B them, make a final decision, officially announce the model and start building.

The development process for this speaker has been a long, drawn-out affair - going on three years.  Those who have heard the prototype can attest to the fact that this speaker is something very special.  But while we have been demonstrating it since last spring, we simply did not want to release it until it was perfect.

I think we are just a few short weeks away from putting the final touches on what will be our new flagship model.  A lot of effort has gone into its development.  And more than one person asked if I really thought it was worth it considering the state of the economy and the fact that this speaker design will be more costly than any we have offered in the past.  But when I listen to it, any doubts that may exist simply evaporate.  I don't know how many pairs we will sell, but I don't really care.  I have my pair and that is justification enough for me.

- Jim

Could the "issue" with the FAL C-60 driver be a result of your crossover design?

AKAIK, the C-60 was designed to run full range with no crossover in front of it.

Are you using the silver or copper wire version?

Mudslide

« Reply #397 on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:05 am »

Thanks,

Bob

Bob -

OK, an update it is. 

- Jim

Jim,

Don't throw away that poor, old, defective, distorting pair of HT4's.  I'd be glad to "scrap" 'em for you.   :wink:

Mud   :lol:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #398 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:36 pm »

Could the "issue" with the FAL C-60 driver be a result of your crossover design?

AKAIK, the C-60 was designed to run full range with no crossover in front of it.

Are you using the silver or copper wire version?
[/quote]

Jim will have to speak for himself, but I got the same distortion at 1200 Hz running my Fal through the crossover and full range.  Frankly, I would expect an issue in the opposite direction--distortion when the frequency range of the driver wasn't limited, and no problem when lower frequencies are suppressed.   But in this case, the problem frequency is smack in the middle of the pass band (1200 Hz), so it's hard to see how the crossover could be at fault.  In any event, it's a probem. We have to use a crossover--the Fal is not an accurate driver full range.   I am curious about this silver vs. copper thing, though.  I wasn't aware there were two versions.  I think the wire on mine is copper.   

gkinberg

« Reply #399 on: 18 Nov 2009, 05:21 pm »
I don?t know if you are still looking for names and I haven?t read all of the posts so I don?t know if this has come up.

Lossless

Not the most elegant name but it is presumably what we aspire to in our systems. May have copyright issues.

Garth