Name the "Beast/HT4"

Mudslide

Re: Name the "Beast/HT4"
« Reply #340 on: 11 Sep 2009, 11:31 pm »
I really like one of those.  Though I believe it has been mentioned before.

Meanie.  Now I'm going to have to reread all 18 pages....   :?

EDIT:  Whooo...fortunately it was on page 1!   :D  Ixnay on my "Sentinel" suggestion, Jim.  I have been beaten to the punch by a more creative mind.

fsimms

« Reply #341 on: 12 Sep 2009, 01:23 am »
EDIT:  Whooo...fortunately it was on page 1!     Ixnay on my "Sentinel" suggestion, Jim.  I have been beaten to the punch by a more creative mind. Logged

I mentioned Soundstage on page 12.  Keep reading!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #342 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:17 am »
Sentinel---hmmmmm---the Romans were good architects and soldiers, but I'm not sure they contributed that much to Western music. 

Meanie.  Now I'm going to have to reread all 18 pages....   :?

EDIT:  Whooo...fortunately it was on page 1!   :D  Ixnay on my "Sentinel" suggestion, Jim.  I have been beaten to the punch by a more creative mind.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

Mudslide

« Reply #344 on: 12 Sep 2009, 06:10 am »
Sentinel---hmmmmm---the Romans were good architects and soldiers, but I'm not sure they contributed that much to Western music. 

I guess that rules out Gladiator, then.   :wink:

:duh:  Well, then...think 'early' opera and imperial trumpets. 

Mudslide

« Reply #345 on: 12 Sep 2009, 06:12 am »
EDIT:  Whooo...fortunately it was on page 1!     Ixnay on my "Sentinel" suggestion, Jim.  I have been beaten to the punch by a more creative mind. Logged

I mentioned Soundstage on page 12.  Keep reading!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

I guess my wife was right when she said I haven't had an original thought in 25 years.   :(  I'll keep trying, lol.

Man....how about the Salk Solution or Salk Resolution (I know...probably offered already)?

jmo

« Reply #346 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:13 pm »

I suggested "Soundstage" on Page 3, post 41.  Hope that's the one you like!   :D

I still think the name is pretty descriptive.

DawgByte

« Reply #347 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:42 pm »
Jim, have you established pricing for the four models yet?

Nuance

« Reply #348 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:08 pm »
Jim, have you established pricing for the four models yet?

Here is Jim's quote on costs.  Only he and his team would know if prices have changed since the initial post, but I hope this helps:

I guess its time to cover the most often asked question...how much will these cost?

Well, we decided that the first pair we built would be constructed out of solid bamboo.  Not having worked with it in this fashion, I didn't expect it to be much different than any other material.  I was wrong.

If you put an 80-grit belt on a belt sander, turn it on and lean on it hard, you will barely be able to create any dust.  We burned out one router and one belt sander on this pair alone.  I think that would be par for the course.  It took Sam 3 1/2 days to sand the woofer cabinets alone.

So it became increasingly apparent that bamboo cabinets, while incredibly solid and inert, would be expensive.  I guess that is par for the course since everything about this design is expensive.

While at AKFest, Constantine Soo from Dagogo asked me the cost.  I told him I didn't know.  He told me he needed a price for his write-up.  So I did my best to figure it out on the spot.  Yikes!

The next morning on my way back to the show, I got to thinking about comments I had heard the day before.  "Too bad I can't afford those," and, "those are too large for my room" were often heard.  I expected the first comment.  But I had not anticipated the second and it made me think. 

The 12" woofer section was developed in order to deliver bass extension to 20Hz.  But, other than perhaps pipes organs and Japanese Tyko drums, there are really any instruments that play that low.  In reality, you really only need to go just below 30Hz to cover almost all traditional musical instruments.

I turns out that the bottom of the top section is 12" wide.  The woofer section of our Veracity HT3 design is also 12" wide.  So, if we developed a woofer section based on 10" drivers, they would still handle almost all traditional instruments, but they would be smaller (about the same dimensions as the top and about the same size as the current HT3's), they would be easier to build because no taper would be required at the top of the woofer cabinet, and they would be less costly. We could also do versions in MDF as well as bamboo. 

In earlier discussions on this circle, there seemed to be a consensus that it would be nice if this speaker would come in at under $10K.  Earlier, I thought that was simply an impossibility.  But with four variations, it seems that it may indeed be possible.  So here are the four variations and associated costs.

If we build the speaker using a 12" woofer section and construct with solid bamboo, the cost would be $17,999 plus upgrades, if any.

If we build the speaker using a 12" woofer section and construct with MDF, the cost would be $13,999, plus the cost of veneer.

About $1500 of the cost differential is the cost of bamboo, the rest is increased labor and tools.

If we build the speaker using a 10" woofer section and construct with solid bamboo, the cost would be $11,999.

If we build the speaker using a 10" woofer section and construct with MDF, the cost would be $9999, plus the cost of veneer.

These are very substantial cabinets.  The speaker weigh in at 155 pounds each.

I don't know how many of these speakers we will eventually sell.  One of my associates thought we were crazy to even take on this project in these economic times.  Regardless, I am very glad we did.  I spent the last couple of days listening extensively and I am extremely happy with my new toys.

- Jim

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #349 on: 1 Oct 2009, 02:40 am »
Frank Van Alstine had a CD with some marches at AK Fest and I thought it sounded great in that big room.
So I like....SOUSADYNE.    Uh, but Jim didn't like it so much. :lol:

DawgByte

« Reply #350 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:27 pm »
Thanks Nuance for the pricing information.

These names have probably already been suggested, but in the event they haven't... Apex or Pinnacle.

FidelitySeeker

« Reply #351 on: 3 Oct 2009, 01:01 am »
Beautiful speaker Jim. The name that jumps out at me is "The Capitol"

Best,
Ed

I like The Capitol because the speaker has such an art deco/Metropolis style to it.

I don't have any names to offer, but most of the names I have read reflect power, testosterone, and brute force. Certainly they are visually powerfully imposing. Unless I miss my guess I suspect these speakers offer plenty of finesse and it might be good to have a name to reflect that aspect.

mathgeek97

« Reply #352 on: 3 Oct 2009, 01:25 am »
Salk Steam.  Because it's so hot.  Jim hasn't announced the name in Denver, yet?  :duh:
Hope y'all are having fun.
-Kevin

TomW16

« Reply #353 on: 3 Oct 2009, 02:04 am »
If there is no name, it must be the Salk Shadow  (Visually imposing but transparent).  8)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #354 on: 3 Oct 2009, 03:38 am »
I'm in Denver, and there's no final name yet.  Jim said he was going to run some possibilities by me tomorrow.  I think the HT4 made a great impression on the first day of the show.  The real action starts tomorrow.  I've heard some very impressive speakers, but they all tend to cost over $40,000.  To bed. 

Nuance

« Reply #355 on: 3 Oct 2009, 04:36 am »
We look forward to the updates, Dennis.  Sleep well.

tgp06

« Reply #356 on: 3 Oct 2009, 02:43 pm »
Here's one more to consider; "DESTINATION". I don't believe that has come up, but I may be wrong.

funkmonkey

« Reply #357 on: 3 Oct 2009, 03:50 pm »
Opus  (just ignore Warfdale)
Essence  (this ones taken too)
perfectus or perfectio

may or may not have been mentioned...

I hope Jim picks a name soon, because every time I see this thread my mind starts trying to churn out something new...  :)

I know I mentioned Sparty a while ago but did any body bring up the resemblance to this guy?

Could be the Salk signature sound - Marvin    :wink:
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2009, 10:26 pm by funkmonkey »

markie

« Reply #358 on: 4 Oct 2009, 02:21 pm »

Just read the entire thread. So many great names to chose from. Even though Mr. Salk has likely already chosen a name it's still fun to play name the speaker. My favourite of the lot is probably Salk Symphony, especially based on Mr. Alstine's appraisal of the beast reproducing an live orchestra so well.

Looking at the beast and it's heftiness and stance, I think "Salk Stalwart". Stalwart being from the old english and meaning "marked by outstanding strength and vigour of body, mind or spirit". Not exactly a musical term though, heh.  Sure, there is the "al" to in both Salk and stalwart, also echoed in RAAL and FAL.   Which leads to Salk Orchestraal .... must....stop ....

Jeff B.

« Reply #359 on: 5 Oct 2009, 01:25 am »
Did he tell you the one I sent him with the mocked up ad copy?

Wish I was there with you, that would surely be a blast.

Jeff

I'm in Denver, and there's no final name yet.  Jim said he was going to run some possibilities by me tomorrow.  I think the HT4 made a great impression on the first day of the show.  The real action starts tomorrow.  I've heard some very impressive speakers, but they all tend to cost over $40,000.  To bed.