BP26/4B SST2 review in HiFi News from Britain.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BP26/4B SST2 review in HiFi News from Britain.
« on: 9 May 2009, 07:46 pm »
Hi All,

Been told we got a review from HiFi News in England on the BP26 and new 4B SST2.
Have not seen it yet but my spies tell me its pretty goood.

james

danman

Re: BP26/4B SST2 review in HiFi News from Britain.
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2009, 10:31 pm »
No surprise!!! aa

Fernar

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2009, 08:04 am »
Just read it in HiFi News - it gives a lot of positive comments ... good clarity and subtle tonal shading.... power, etc. etc.
The overall rating for the combination was 80% on sound, 75% on features, 85% on build and 64% on eco... so apart form the not being too 'green' a good thumbs up.

On the technical aspects, it seems that the 4BSST2 has a slightly performance vs the 4BSST (I have that review as well)..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2009, 10:50 am »
Hi Fermar,

Thanks!

james

Robert D

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 12:08 pm »
Just read it in HiFi News - it gives a lot of positive comments ... good clarity and subtle tonal shading.... power, etc. etc.
The overall rating for the combination was 80% on sound, 75% on features, 85% on build and 64% on eco... so apart form the not being too 'green' a good thumbs up.

On the technical aspects, it seems that the 4BSST2 has a slightly performance vs the 4BSST (I have that review as well)..

James, on a Technical Note The combination at my House is 100% on Sound 100% on Features 100% on Bryston Built.
The performance of the Bryston products are to be enjoyed with Total satisfaction.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2009, 01:12 pm »
Hi-Fi new BLOWS lousy publication....

James Tanner

• Facilitator

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2009, 12:35 am »
Hi James
Looking at the photos from the review there is obviously a lot of changes on the central board, the large capacitors come first to mind amongst other things so maybe there is a notable improvement over the first 4BSST's.
The rest of the layout looks about identical, so of course the first thing one thinks of is it possible that Bryston might offer an upgrade path on the lower models to bring them up to the SST2, just a thought during these economic times if the upgrade bug bites.

Robert

werd

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2009, 01:21 am »
Hi James
Looking at the photos from the review there is obviously a lot of changes on the central board, the large capacitors come first to mind amongst other things so maybe there is a notable improvement over the first 4BSST's.
The rest of the layout looks about identical, so of course the first thing one thinks of is it possible that Bryston might offer an upgrade path on the lower models to bring them up to the SST2, just a thought during these economic times if the upgrade bug bites.

Robert

:lol: You think!!!! ..... come on Rob80b  this is silly. This isnt like the rest of the posts i am used to from you.  Go audition one for yourself and you'll hear what we  (square owners) are talking about. Whether its one diode in the PS or major overhaul it doesnt matter there's nice improvements to the 4B

rob80b

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2009, 05:20 pm »
Hi Werd

Since I fell out of the crib many years ago I started life with a compulsive disorder to disassemble things and then put them back together, until one day my dad gave me a thoughtful insight "son if it's not broken don't fix it".
Needless to say I ignored my dad's advice, as there's always room for improvement.
If Bryston changed things there is probably a good reason, and that reason is always to come out with a better solution to improving sonic accuracy.
So I do not doubt there is an improvement over the earlier SST's, but I thought that because the differences in the Squared units from the 4B and down were less extensive than the 7, 14 and 28B?s that Bryston might possible offer an upgrade to the lower line.
I'm sure I am not alone in bringing up ones SST to current specs without the need to investing in a whole new amp.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2009, 07:20 pm »
Hi Werd

Since I fell out of the crib many years ago I started life with a compulsive disorder to disassemble things and then put them back together, until one day my dad gave me a thoughtful insight "son if it's not broken don't fix it".
Needless to say I ignored my dad's advice, as there's always room for improvement.
If Bryston changed things there is probably a good reason, and that reason is always to come out with a better solution to improving sonic accuracy.
So I do not doubt there is an improvement over the earlier SST's, but I thought that because the differences in the Squared units from the 4B and down were less extensive than the 7, 14 and 28B?s that Bryston might possible offer an upgrade to the lower line.
I'm sure I am not alone in bringing up ones SST to current specs without the need to investing in a whole new amp.

Robert

Hi Rob,

It is something we could look at but there a fair number of changes - different backboard, different input stage, different mounting holes on chassis, different circuit boards, different power switch, different parts on circuit boards (new caps) etc.

james

rob80b

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2009, 07:48 pm »

Hi Rob,

It is something we could look at but there a fair number of changes - different backboard, different input stage, different mounting holes on chassis, different circuit boards, different power switch, different parts on circuit boards (new caps) etc.

james

Great, when can we start sending them in!

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2009, 08:18 pm »

Hi Rob,

james

Great, when can we start sending them in!

Robert

Hi Rob,

Not anytime soon :lol: