Santa Barbara Fire Situation

Roger A. Modjeski

Santa Barbara Fire Situation
« on: 8 May 2009, 12:45 pm »
Hi,

I am safe and sound here and well protected from the fires in the hills. The fire is several miles north (up the hill) from me and I can see it in the distance. It's no small thing for those living north of the freeway which goes East to West on this part of the coast. There may be a lot more homes lost as it is going West into Goleta and East into Montecito. The area across the freeway from me is pretty well burned out which is why I feel I'm out of harms way. Nothing is getting shipped as most of the Fedex locations are in the evacuated areas and traffic is very slow. In these kind of emergencies I stay home and out of the way of the people risking their lives to stop this fire.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Santa Barbara Fire Situation
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2009, 01:33 pm »
Hi,

I am safe and sound here and well protected from the fires in the hills. The fire is several miles north (up the hill) from me and I can see it in the distance. It's no small thing for those living north of the freeway which goes East to West on this part of the coast. There may be a lot more homes lost as it is going West into Goleta and East into Montecito. The area across the freeway from me is pretty well burned out which is why I feel I'm out of harms way. Nothing is getting shipped as most of the Fedex locations are in the evacuated areas and traffic is very slow. In these kind of emergencies I stay home and out of the way of the people risking their lives to stop this fire.

It's unfortunate that living in such nice places one is subject to mother nature's wrath like that.  Hope for the best for all out there.

6BQ5

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2009, 05:06 am »
I'd been to Santa Barbara several times and it is indeed a beautiful place. Very dry around the area. That's the trouble with paradise ...

Hard for me to imagine that the fire can work its way down into the town and beach area. Hope that does not happen. That would be awful.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2009, 06:03 am »
The fire tried to get into town and I was surprised how deep into town they evacuated. I live on a hill close to the ocean so it never got closer than 3 miles. It would have to jump the freeway and then some to get to me. By then there would be very little of SB left if that happened. I figure they would mount extraordinary efforts before that. Living in California  has it's challenges and one must choose ones spot carefully.