Piccolo "Pop" removal question

analog97

Piccolo "Pop" removal question
« on: 7 May 2009, 01:37 pm »
Hello again!  I have had a couple incidents when switching the gain (not loading) on the Piccolo during playback and getting a nasty "pop".  I am wondering if it would be possible to install a capacitor to eliminate this annoyance and speaker safety issue.  If this is doable, I'd like to try it.  If this would degrade sonics, count me out!  Any thoughts?  Maybe this has been discussed before, but my search was empty.  TIA.

tubesforever

Re: Piccolo "Pop" removal question
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2009, 06:10 am »
I suspect is is and issue with the switching and not the Piccolo itself.

Switches are created as either "make before brake", or "shorting".  Shorting style switches cause these loud pops.  Make before brake switches do not generally pop this loud.

Using a ceramic or film caps is an interesting idea if it does not sonically effect the signal.

I did not research the digikey switch that is configured for the Piccolo, but I suspect it is a shorting switch.  That said, to merky up the waters, I have some make before break switches which also pop. 

This audio world can be a problematic relationship.

analog97

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2009, 11:37 am »
I suspect is is and issue with the switching and not the Piccolo itself.

Thanks for the reply, Tubes.  I am pretty certain this is a switch issue and I am not faulting the rest of the Piccolo.  My hope was that one of our highly technical readers would easily understand this problem and propose a fix.  I can't.  I was hoping that someone could say..."hey, solder a 1uf cap across these 2 points".

Keith F.

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2009, 01:30 am »
Hi Guys,

I noticed that too, and this was a while ago, but when checking the switch with meter, I think power is cut off too until the next switch (gain) position. Don't know if the popping is power being interupted or in the signal path (gain change)? 

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2009, 06:23 am »
Yeah, kinda hard to switch gain resistors at such tiny signal levels subsequently followed by soooo much gain.  A mere 0.001V glitch will sound like a bomb.  I did not pursue any soft-switching topologies.  I made it as simple as possible.  Yes, it is a funcitonal limitation - you have to change gain with the volume down.

jh

jameshuls

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2009, 06:51 am »
I have noticed the same thing analog 7. However. as Jim stated it is a functional concession. After the first time it happened, i knew what to do. Really though, how often do you actually change your gain? Is it not more work to modify it than to turn down your volume occasionally. Mind you, I can't think of an occasion when I didn't enjoy  doing a Mod, sonically beneficial or not...