24/96 playback from Mac Mini using iTune, possible?

zoltm2001

Dear computer audiophiles,

I have downloaded some WAV file from www.metaxas.com. It's known to be encode in 24/96 format. I played it in iTune and from the "Get Info" I can see that it's being mentioned as 24/96.

However, when I connect the miniToslink from my latest gen Mac Min to a Berningher Ultramatch Pro 24/96 DAC, it does not shown as 24/96 but 44.1.

I wonder where is the broken link? Is the miniTos link output from Mac not 24/96 or the DAC has problem taking 24/96 input?

I would like to get some ideas from the group.

Thx.

Jakkar

Re: 24/96 playback from Mac Mini using iTune, possible?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2009, 07:36 am »
You need to make sure you have gone into Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup to set Core audio to output 96.0000hz and 2 Channel-24bit.

After you do that everything out of iTunes should output 24/96. 

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2009, 07:42 am »
yep Jakkar's got it. just make sure that in Audio Midi Setup, the "Properties For:" pulldown is set to "Built-in Output". any other setting and you cannot access the Audio Output Format settings.

zoltm2001

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2009, 08:09 am »
Hi,

When you say "Utility" do you mean "System Preference"?

I can't see or don't have any option that read "Audio Midi Option/Setup".

Do I need to install some program to get Audio Midi support in place?

Thx

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2009, 09:39 am »
No it is not a preference. Audio Midi Setup is an Application. go to the Applications folder you will find the Utilities folder within.
cheers, ed

santacore

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2009, 02:15 pm »
I just tried to do this on my rig and only get 16 bit, 44k or 48k as an option. On the input side I can make it 24/96, but not the output. Any suggestions?

low.pfile

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2009, 06:16 pm »
I just tried to do this on my rig and only get 16 bit, 44k or 48k as an option. On the input side I can make it 24/96, but not the output. Any suggestions?
Santacore, which mac are you using?  My PPC G5 server doesn't have 96k sampling either(only up to 16/48),  though my intel macbook pro allows 24/96. The sound cards on macs vary by model. It's hard to find specs since even apple.com or allmac.com doesn't always list audio specifics.
cheers, ed

santacore

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2009, 11:09 pm »
Thanks Ed. My music server is a Macbook Pro 2.16ghz intel. Like I stated before, I get the 24/96 option on the input, but only 16/44 or 48 on the output.

I wonder if the DAC dictates the sampling rate options. Maybe my DAC can't do 24/96 through USB, therefore I don't get that option. Just a thought.

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2009, 11:51 pm »
Thanks Ed. My music server is a Macbook Pro 2.16ghz intel. Like I stated before, I get the 24/96 option on the input, but only 16/44 or 48 on the output.

I wonder if the DAC dictates the sampling rate options. Maybe my DAC can't do 24/96 through USB, therefore I don't get that option. Just a thought.

That's absolutely correct. If the dac does not support a particular sample rate, it will be unavailable in AMS.

wilsynet

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2009, 12:57 am »
So the complete instructions are:

1. Go to Applications Folder
2. Open the Utilities Folder
3. Launch the Audio MIDI Setup Application
4. Select your output device in Properties For: (Your Device Here)
5. Select 96000.0 Hz and 2ch-24 bit under Audio Output Format
6. Restart iTunes because iTunes needs to be restarted to accept the new settings.

If you're using TOSLINK, select "Built-in Output" as your output device.
If you're using USB and your USB DAC supports 24/96, then select that device.

Steve Nugent over in Empirical Audio believes the iTunes upsampler is a rock star, so even if you're playing back 44.1/16 content, you may want to leave the output rate at 24/96 and see if you like it.

low.pfile

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2009, 01:02 am »
Well done Wilson.

zoltm2001

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2009, 06:47 pm »
So the complete instructions are:

1. Go to Applications Folder
2. Open the Utilities Folder
3. Launch the Audio MIDI Setup Application
4. Select your output device in Properties For: (Your Device Here)
5. Select 96000.0 Hz and 2ch-24 bit under Audio Output Format
6. Restart iTunes because iTunes needs to be restarted to accept the new settings.

If you're using TOSLINK, select "Built-in Output" as your output device.
If you're using USB and your USB DAC supports 24/96, then select that device.

Steve Nugent over in Empirical Audio believes the iTunes upsampler is a rock star, so even if you're playing back 44.1/16 content, you may want to leave the output rate at 24/96 and see if you like it.

Thanks for help. Now I can have the mini-Tos link in the Mac Mini to operate in 24/96.

My next question is, if I buy the Airport Express (802.11n one), can it also support 24/96 in a wireless manner?

Many thanks.

Crimson

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2009, 12:57 pm »

My next question is, if I buy the Airport Express (802.11n one), can it also support 24/96 in a wireless manner?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, no. The Airport Express only supports up to 16/44.1. You can still stream hir-rez content to it, but it will be downsampled.

zoltm2001

« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2009, 11:33 pm »

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, no. The Airport Express only supports up to 16/44.1. You can still stream hir-rez content to it, but it will be downsampled.

Interesting, but according to the article below, http://67.192.249.47/~psaudio/ps/newsletters/march-2008/ , it gave me the impression it's doable.

Am I missing something?

wilsynet

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2009, 06:14 am »
Not sure what PSAudio is saying in that article.  The quote is "... run through a PS Digital Lens, it sounds better than the output of a CD player and because of the Lens, outputs 24 bit 192kHz which our DAC loves."

So apparently, it's the PS Audio digital lens that lets the Airport Express output 24/192.  Which makes absolutely no sense.

I do not believe the Airport Express can do 24/192.

chrisby

« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2009, 07:16 pm »
As I read the newsletter, it's the Digital Lens that magically transforms the output of AE or ATV into 24/192, of which is then rendered transcendental by the PS PWD (Perfect Wave DAC)

No one is denying the company the right to say anything they like on their own website, but you'll pardon my sarcasm - in the 25yrs since the CD was introduced, we've heard this all before.

Paul does seem to be a big fan of the ATV, and for integrated A/V systems certainly does seem like a "killer piece".  However, unless there's something new since this newsletter of March '08 (such as an app for the iPod Touch or 'phone) there's still the requirement for a monitor.

The Lens

So, the only downside is the lack of the Digital Lens.  And yes, I know we’ve been talking about it for some time but the good news is it finally exists and will go into beta testing in a few months.  Until it comes out, consider these new ideas this weekend.

The ATV really breathed new life into my system in a way I haven’t experienced in a long time.  Jon Magnusson commented to me ‘I am listening to music again and loving it!‘

Consider that even without the Lens, it’s as good or better than what you get out of most CD or DVD player’s digital outputs into your DAC – plus since it’s stored on a hard drive, you get all the improvements hard drive music systems have to offer over a CD transport.  It’s awesome and it’s cheap!

When the Lens finally ships, you’re in for a breathtaking experience.  When the PWT ships, everything you have in your library RIPS right to the drive.

Have fun.  See, aren’t you glad you read the newsletter?

It's hard to make out from the site's products listing if the "Lens"  has been released as a separate unit, but is incorporated in the PWD.  At approx $3000 (not including "the Bridge"), not exactly entry level fare.

cryoparts

« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2009, 08:03 pm »
It's hard to make out from the site's products listing if the "Lens"  has been released as a separate unit, but is incorporated in the PWD.  At approx $3000 (not including "the Bridge"), not exactly entry level fare.

I think the Lens is going to be released as a separate product, eventually.  At least, they thought so a while back.  Plans change though, so...

$3000 entry level?  Depends on your outlook.   :icon_lol:

Peace,

Lee

Jon L

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2009, 08:26 pm »
As I read the newsletter, it's the Digital Lens that magically transforms the output of AE or ATV into 24/192

"The Lens does this with the use of a very large digital storage tank (memory) coupled with a jitter free set of asynchronous (disconnected) clocks to output data to the Lens in perfect I2S format...

In most cases, Native Mode sounds far superior to any of the SRC choices, including 24 bit 192 kHz...

The SRC is a valuable feature when the source you are using is of rather low digital quality such as that from an Apple TV, low cost CD player, Squeezebox, Sonos or third party network enabled system."

From my reading, I thought the lens was essentially RAM memory buffer with a separate clock ("asynchronous" from the source per PS Audio) to reclock the datastream before spitting it out in I2S form to DAC chips. 

There is no "magical" transformation of ATV since 24/192 is made possible only by upsampling via SRC, which PS Audio admits sounds inferior to native format but beneficial for "low digital quality" such as that from ATV. 

The exact details of how the lens works, which chips and clocks are used where, etc will be interesting, but if it sounds great, it's probably due to good implementation rather than any revolutionary ideas, i.e. upsampling, reclocking. 

chrisby

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2009, 09:44 pm »

I think the Lens is going to be released as a separate product, eventually.  At least, they thought so a while back.  Plans change though, so...

Peace,

Lee

Lee,  for some of us DIYers, an entire system (including a lap- or desktop computer)  could be put together for that amount or less.  :thumb:

JonL:

I thought it was clear that "magical"  was an intentionally snide comment on my part. 

and FWIW, a bit of surfin around the Apple website identifies that "Remote" is a free app specifically for controlling the iTunes/ ATV, etc.  from anywhere in the house, without the need for a video monitor.

Does anyone here have recent experience playing with that combination, as sort of a poor-man's "Transporter"?

Crimson

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2009, 10:12 pm »

Peace,

Lee

Lee,  for some of us DIYers, an entire system (including a lap- or desktop computer)  could be put together for that amount or less.  :thumb:

JonL:

I thought it was clear that "magical"  was an intentionally snide comment on my part. 

and FWIW, a bit of surfin around the Apple website identifies that "Remote" is a free app specifically for controlling the iTunes/ ATV, etc.  from anywhere in the house, without the need for a video monitor.

Does anyone here have recent experience playing with that combination, as sort of a poor-man's "Transporter"?

I'm running two poor-man Transporter-equivalents (AEx and iPhone/Remote), one to the teevee room, and another to the back yard (the former uses an outboard dac, the latter doesn't). They both feed off my main library which is hard-wired (USB and firewire) to my main system. Runs great. I also have a stream fed to an Apple TV in the bedroom which essentially works the same way