RM30 owners

cmryan21

RM30 owners
« on: 6 May 2009, 03:48 am »
For all the RM30 owners, I just wanted to ask what did you own prior to upgrading to your RM30's? I'm trying to get a general idea as to what they compare to in terms of quality and sonic character. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John Casler

Re: RM30 owners
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2009, 04:41 am »
For all the RM30 owners, I just wanted to ask what did you own prior to upgrading to your RM30's? I'm trying to get a general idea as to what they compare to in terms of quality and sonic character. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ryan,

I received this in a PM last month from a new RM30 owner (I don't think he'll mind if I post it if I don't post his name)

Thanks John.
 I am comparing them with my SF Cremona's. I paid a lot more for the Cremona's and think the VMPS blow them away. I can't figure out all the hype on the Cremona's. To each there own I guess. Thanks for your help John.

We have people upgrade and even downgrade to RM30s.  When I say downgrade, I went from a pair of RM40's down to a pair of RM30's for a while. :green:

Se7en

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2009, 02:56 pm »
I went from some DIY floor standers. They were a MTM configuration using a Morel silk dome for the highs and dual Seas Excel 7" drivers for everything else. They were a rear ported design using some old Dynaudio variovents.

Honestly, I don't feel that a direct comparison would be fair to my DIY attempt because there really is no comparison. The RM30s really outclass them in most ways.

The most striking first impression of the VMPS however was the almost complete lack of coloration and haze from the music. This was a pretty shocking revelation. "Speed, Precision & Openess"

Next I would say was the precision in which the RM30s etch images firmly within the sound stage. Focusing on this was how I started the placement process. It was almost like focusing a camera but the images were unbelieveably clear and crisp.

Bass presence was certainly stronger and more pronounced, but not as predictable as my DIY speakers (I have the M model). The Seas drivers were crystal clear into their lowest reaches and given their forward firing orientation were very easy to integrate with the rest of the music. With the VMPS, getting the side firing subs to integrate fully with my room and the the mids/highs was an area the required significant effort for me. Ultimately I found that having the subs firing inward proved a better combination for my particular room.

Prior to the DIY attempt I had some Martin Logan SL3s that were decent for their price point but honestly I think that I was just being wowed by the panels. The integration of the lower frequencies on those speakers were just not acceptable. As for a direct comparison to the RM30, the ML (IMO) threw a larger sound stage but was colored and forward souding by comparison. Also given the ML design, placement and tuning was a never ending affair. Fun, but never ending.

I hope that this helps.

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2009, 12:46 am »
I've owned literally hundreds of pairs of good speakers in 40 years. This is the best description of where the RM30s fit that I can add:

http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/VMPS/RM30/speakers/239783.html

I've had them 3 years, and the more great speakers I hear, the happier I am with these. No speaker is perfect, or all things to all people, but if you value speed, transparency and musicality in a moderate size, you can't do better for the $, or anywhere near the $.

Zheeeem

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2009, 12:52 am »

My main system was a pair of biro L/1s with a REL Strata 3 sub.

But I had that system for convenience more than anything else.  I would not compare it to the RM30s.

I can sort-of explain things using magnepans as a frame of reference, because I have had at least one pair of magnepans for over 30 years.

I was after the speed, transparency and openness of the planar magnetic midrange, but without the distortion of a single ended driver.  I wanted to match that with the speed and detail of a ribbon tweeter.  And I wanted bass.  I did not want the beaming inherent in maggies, but did want the large soundstage.  I also wanted excellent imaging.  And there needed to be the sort of coherence that I thought having things in phase with a first order XO could bring.  Having something reasonably efficient was a plus.

cmryan21

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2009, 10:07 pm »
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their opinion and experience. Hopefully I'll be splurging for a set very soon. Take care guys.