28B SST SQ mono block tube life?

DEV

28B SST SQ mono block tube life?
« on: 6 May 2009, 03:16 am »
Ok, "are there tubes inside these mono blocks?"  :scratch:

I've listened to allot of product over the years, solid state along with tube so take this as a HUGE complement and hats off to Bryston as a whole.  :thumb:

The first 80 hours for me was not all that pleasant but I have been in this hobby for a few years and know not to jump to any conclusions, just put in the hours, the end results some times being positive and sometimes not so. I have just reached 120 hours on the amps along with the Torus units with noticable positive changes across the whole spectrum, still not doing any critical listening as of yet. I'll do that later down the road when there are more hours loged in, just wanted to drop a message of such so others could read. I'm not active on this site but on Audiogon under the same user name, I felt this site was the appropriate one to place such.

A friend dropped by today to just say hi, he heard music playing in the back ground as usual but what he did not know was what amps where hooked-up (possibly my CAT JL3 Sig. MK2's $40K tube mono blocks) these where my most current amps. My friend is a die hard tube fanatic and vynl lover, he cringes  :nono: at solid state amps being used. My friend commented saying "boy are those CAT's sounding sweet,  :drool: saying boy has that bass ever come along or did you add subs?" he asked to come in for a listen.

Well this was his impression,  :duh:  :drool:  :icon_lol: :lol: :thumb:

That's why I decided to start this thread off by saying " are there tubes in these mono blocks"

My system set-up;

MBL 101E speakers
Audio Research Ref3 pre
Accustic Arts Hybrid Tube Dac
Oracle 2000 transport
Bryston 28B SST SQ mono's
Torus RM20's one for each mono block
Stealth Indra IC's, XLR Balanced
Stealth Dream PC's through out
Sealth Dream SC's bi-wired, two separate runs for each speaker
Stealth Sextet digital between Dac & Tran.

DEV

Re: 28B SST SQ mono block tube life?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2009, 03:24 pm »
Hi there,

just wanted to add a bit more info. to my posting, what I have noticed so far while logging in the hours.

It is very apparent upon listening that these amps are the "only" amps I have owned or listened to that I'm able to listen to at very low levels and "really enjoy", of course I like to turn up the volume but what Bryston has mentioned regarding the 1st watt sounding the same as at 1000 watts and every power level in between is no exageration and a very pleasing accomplishment. Other amps I have owned in the past sounded okay at these lower levels, some sounding better than others but none have been able to do what these do at these levels.

Some amps I have owned; VTL Ref750's & 450's, ARC Ref 600 MK2's, McIntosh 501's & 1201's, Pass X600.5's, Cat JL3 Sig. MK2's, Bat 600 SE's, demoed MBL 9008A's recently to just name a few.

Still currently loging in the hours but thought this might be of interest to some readers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2009, 04:07 pm »
Those are some seriously great speakers!  81db efficient, there's no wonder they need a monster amp like the bryston to come alive.  I've not heard the latest sst^2 amps, but all reports have indicated a serious improvement in refinement and sweetness.  Nice :)

KimKman

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2009, 04:09 pm »
Dev, how would you compare or what are your thoughts of differences between your 28's compared to that of the VTL 750 and 450's you have owned.
I am currently going to be experimenting with 7's on lower and tube on top with VS VR-4's but am considering also listening to the 28's in my home. I also have a pair of MB450's

Thanks!

DEV

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 04:44 pm »
Hi Tyson, regarding the speakers actually they really are not that hard to drive once loaded in a room but what they do like is current so I've found. Have you ever heard a pair set-up in a real world situation, mind blowing scary realistic, the holographic imaging wow! and no box colorations. They are very reveiling so every week source feeding them will be identified. I actually had a 8 watt Audio Note Integraded hooked-up to them just for fun, my friend owns and the sound was absolutely marvelous but obviously lacked in the lower region and proper control. I would love to hear the Balanced Kegons but the list price of over $100K is just crazy. Regarding the SST Squared design, well these amps in particular they have allot of possitives to offer. I will comment more down the road when I put more hours on them along with the Torus units they are plugged into.

DEV

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2009, 05:27 pm »
Hi Kimkman,

Regarding the 28's not enought hours logged in to give my actual thoughts, they are also plugged into the Torus RM20 units which are also new so they need the hours also but my posts above being a starting point of my progress along with thoughts which to date currently are very possitive. If you can read a little into my posting so far and what I have had wrote it should cary some weight in a matter of my own preference that is.

The VTL amps you refer to are both great pces, mine where the 450's not the new 450's MK2's which now have self biasing I'm sure you are aware. You did not mention you own MK2's so I take it you have the same as I did. I have heard mixed opinions regarding the sound difference between the two but for sure the self biasing is a bonus. The 750's where really nice and had both hooked-up in another system (not bi-amped) in my designated rm which consisted of the VTL 7.5 original pre., not MK2 which is greatly improved and I had demoed personally with my Avalon Isis speakers. In my second set-up which I did not yet have the MBL's at that time but had W/P7's and then changed those to Eggleston Andra 2's and now currently the MBL's.

Your speakers although I never owed nor did long listening would say should be more similar to the Andra sound than my MBL sound characteristics, same designer voiced the Andra's. Very interesting what you are going to do but as you are well aware it's a complete package and there's allot more to it, room, other components, source, cables etc., what type of music you listen too along with what is important to you.

I would most defiantly recomend you get a pair of 28 Squared to demo but make sure they are well broken-in and hooked-up in balance mode along with each amp plugged into a RM20 Torus unit at least. I have already unplugged them to just listen without and could not believe the "Huge difference"

Let us know your out come, will be a very intersting read. 

niels

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2009, 08:06 pm »
Hi there,

It is very apparent upon listening that these amps are the "only" amps I have owned or listened to that I'm able to listen to at very low levels and "really enjoy",

This is what every Bryston owner reports....

KimKman

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2009, 08:07 am »
Regarding the 28's not enought hours logged in to give my actual thoughts

Hi Dev,
I kinda figured that would be the case and I appreciate the response. I will most likely get a pair to break in myself and compare to my other setups here. On the VTL's .. I actually have one of the older models. Originally an MB300 that was modified by VTL to bring it to 450 status (sig transfornmers etc.) so I do have the manual bias settings. On the biamp setup I am testing I will be using a Decware Torii Mk II on the top and the 7BsstSQ monos on the bottom. This will take some time though as well with breakin. Hope to get the 7B's any day now. Will post my results.

Best regards,
KimKman

werd

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2009, 10:50 pm »
"Other amps I have owned in the past sounded okay at these lower levels, some sounding better than others but none have been able to do what these do at these levels. "

Hi Dev

Those amps will give you about 10 or 15 watts of class A power too.

DEV

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:17 pm »
Hi, just wanted to post a progress update and a little more info. regarding my set-up to assist others. I now have close to 400 actual hours on both units, 28's and RM20's playing music but many more added hours on both as I just leave them on 24/7.

In my system there are still allot of changes going on, all being positive so it appears that I need many many more hours prior to critical listening, I am very happy with the results so far and it only seems to be getting better and better. I am in awe and absolutely never exspected this, I had a couple of freinds over who just couldn't stay away and had to have a listen so they assisted in comparing to another contender I had received. I am very critical when it comes to my system and know what I want and if it doesn't work it's out and I move on. I just had a pair of over $100K mono blocks in my system for the last week or so and I was told they were well broken-in, I and the others all who listened all preferred the 28's, go figure. The ones listening all have serious set-ups which include; Wilson Alexandra 2 and Avalon Isis and JM-LAB Nova along with really nice electonics. It was all done blind testing, nothing changed but the amps. After switching back and forth a few times there was really no need to continue doing this as the difference was so apparent. These amps where supose to be a perfect match for my speakers. I also really find that the Audio Research Ref3 pre which is true balanced a really nice match, nice synergy, everything is hooked-up in balance mode using the Stealth Indra's XLR's IC's (absolutely amazing cables, I'm awaiting to hear their latest flagship IC's, should be intersting)

I don't know if you are aware of Sistrum product or not but I was introduced to it about three years ago and placed the platforms under my Eggleston Andra 2's (SP1's) and was absolutely amazed, the product is amazing and worth your attention. Every person who I have introduced (all three freinds who were over use the product) has had positive benifits especially under speakers and amps. I currently use the SP1's under my MBL 101E's and the SP101's under my 28's. I did allot of comparisons prior under other amps and speakers and the benifits all being positive. Check this review out, believe it or not this reveiw is spot on http://www.dagogo.com/Sistrum.html

Using the SP101's with 28's on top actually works out nicely because I have the Torus unit placed right underneith sitting on three Murtle Blocks. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2009, 12:32 pm »
Hi, just wanted to post a progress update and a little more info. regarding my set-up to assist others. I now have close to 400 actual hours on both units, 28's and RM20's playing music but many more added hours on both as I just leave them on 24/7.

In my system there are still allot of changes going on, all being positive so it appears that I need many many more hours prior to critical listening, I am very happy with the results so far and it only seems to be getting better and better. I am in awe and absolutely never exspected this, I had a couple of freinds over who just couldn't stay away and had to have a listen so they assisted in comparing to another contender I had received. I am very critical when it comes to my system and know what I want and if it doesn't work it's out and I move on. I just had a pair of over $100K mono blocks in my system for the last week or so and I was told they were well broken-in, I and the others all who listened all preferred the 28's, go figure. The ones listening all have serious set-ups which include; Wilson Alexandra 2 and Avalon Isis and JM-LAB Nova along with really nice electonics. It was all done blind testing, nothing changed but the amps. After switching back and forth a few times there was really no need to continue doing this as the difference was so apparent. These amps where supose to be a perfect match for my speakers. I also really find that the Audio Research Ref3 pre which is true balanced a really nice match, nice synergy, everything is hooked-up in balance mode using the Stealth Indra's XLR's IC's (absolutely amazing cables, I'm awaiting to hear their latest flagship IC's, should be intersting)

I don't know if you are aware of Sistrum product or not but I was introduced to it about three years ago and placed the platforms under my Eggleston Andra 2's (SP1's) and was absolutely amazed, the product is amazing and worth your attention. Every person who I have introduced (all three freinds who were over use the product) has had positive benifits especially under speakers and amps. I currently use the SP1's under my MBL 101E's and the SP101's under my 28's. I did allot of comparisons prior under other amps and speakers and the benifits all being positive. Check this review out, believe it or not this reveiw is spot on http://www.dagogo.com/Sistrum.html

Using the SP101's with 28's on top actually works out nicely because I have the Torus unit placed right underneith sitting on three Murtle Blocks.

Hi DEV,

Thank you for your kind comments on the 28B SST2- coming from you it is high praise indeed. We certainly have been getting great response to the new SQ Series Bryston amps and the 28B is definitely seen as a 'good as it gets' amp.

I will have a look at the Sistrum product you mentioned- thanks for the tip.

james

doctorcilantro

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2009, 07:30 pm »
How does the mini-Torii sound?

DC

Regarding the 28's not enought hours logged in to give my actual thoughts

Hi Dev,
I kinda figured that would be the case and I appreciate the response. I will most likely get a pair to break in myself and compare to my other setups here. On the VTL's .. I actually have one of the older models. Originally an MB300 that was modified by VTL to bring it to 450 status (sig transfornmers etc.) so I do have the manual bias settings. On the biamp setup I am testing I will be using a Decware Torii Mk II on the top and the 7BsstSQ monos on the bottom. This will take some time though as well with breakin. Hope to get the 7B's any day now. Will post my results.

Best regards,
KimKman

KimKman

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2009, 01:33 am »
How does the mini-Torii sound?

How did you know I had a Mini Torii ? :)
Anyway, although a complete different animal with only 3-6 watts it sounds wonderful. Playing around with a NOS set of Westinghouse 5992's this coming week.

The Bryston 7B SST SQ's sound great as well so not taking anything away there. Just me experiment did not work out using them. Therefore they are for sale. If however I was using a solid state system they would be the ones to have.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2009, 01:57 am »
Neat. Did you get the 5992 from Paul?

DC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2009, 10:21 pm »
Hi All,

Got this today - Nelson writes for Stereo Times.

"Hey Micah,

Hope all is well! Those Bryston 28B's have blind sided me with their great combination of a seemingly unlimited ceiling of power (and crescendo energy) and great inner detail within. Ah, I am joyfully side tracked, but will continue working on the Thiel 3.7 review with these amplifiers now in the mix.

They are indeed on to something very special here, and as a result, the Thiels are sounding like never before - really now just showing what they are capable of in my room and showing their qualities clearer. Roy Gregory from Nordost Cables observed at the end of our session that he felt that the 3.7's sounded better than he has ever heard them in the past.

So, with all of these recent gifts bestowed, I am re-shaping my review and will get at it again to finish it, once I try and incorporate the new changes in the system and how the Thiels now sound. Please pass along my best to James Tanner too and keep a date in mind for a trip up for a listen

Nelson"

DEV

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2010, 09:45 pm »
Well guys thought I would post an update to my thread, it's coming close to a year owning these and I'm truly enjoying them.

Well the tubes have been changed and the sonic improvements I have gained are improved across the entire sonic spectrum, never mind stage presence etc. 

There have been a few changes to my set-up posted above, see below;

1. Replaced the Oracle 2000 transport which is a great pce along with being eye candy to boot with a MBL Reference 1621a transport, very happy with the gained improvements.

2. I still own the ARC REF3 pre but I bought a VAC Signature MK2a pre-amp with phono, I always wanted to hear one of these in my own set-up. This is the latest version, people who own the one prior to this never seem to sell them so that says alllot. I looked for a year without any success so had to order a new one which took a few months to receive, I just got it recently so I'm in the break-in process but I will say that my MBL's have never been happier. I have had allot of top world class pre-amps from VTL 7.5, Bat, DartZeel, Rowland, MBL to name a few in my set-up and I have never experienced what I am with this pre new right out of the box, absolutely amazing.

3. Added a TW Raven One table with Graham Phantom MK2 arm and Dynavector XV-1s cart

4. Bought a Audia Flight Phono to compare to the VAC's phono. Kinda cool to have a tube and solid state to get different flavours.

5. Stealth Hyperphono phono arm cable