downfiring servo sub - clearance?

baald

downfiring servo sub - clearance?
« on: 4 May 2009, 10:50 pm »
Hi - out of curiosity, does anyone know what the floor-to-baffle clearance requirement would be for a downfiring servosub driver?  somewhat related, is there an easy formula to determine the minimum necessary open area of a rigid grill in front of the driver? (most materials I see are spec'd in terms of %-age of face area thats either solid or open...).

thanks
mike

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: downfiring servo sub - clearance?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2009, 10:53 pm »
On rythmik audio's site they have DIY plans for a downfiring 12" servo sub, which should give you the info on clearance.

baald

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2009, 11:03 pm »
would individual drivers not have different requirements?  ie, a massive cone/powerful motor vs a lighter cone?  (forgive my lack of knowledge wrt terminology here...   but I think it has something to do with mechanical Q and/or air mass, right?).  Would it also depend on wavelength of frequencies of interest?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2009, 11:19 pm »
Well both the 12 and the 15" models have 2.5" on those boxes, if in doubt go 3"...

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2009, 12:05 am »
We went with 3" on the last build and they worked great.  If you are needing 3" spikes Marbles may be able to tell you where he sourced the spikes we used on his subs.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2009, 12:11 am »
You could make a plinth and just use regular height spikes. Mount the speaker box on 3" dowels or small blocks of wood to the plinth.

-Roy

dvenardos

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2009, 02:16 am »
That one is an awesome box!