Anybody have Denon AH-D5000s?

jrebman

Anybody have Denon AH-D5000s?
« on: 3 May 2009, 02:08 pm »
Just curious as to what you think of them -- sonics, comfort, etc.  Need to get a pair of closed cans for the bedroom and these look like the best of the affordable closed cans.

Also, are you using yours stock or with markl mods, or anything else.  What kind of amp(s)?

Thanks,

Jim

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Anybody have Denon AH-D5000s?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2009, 04:33 pm »
I have stock D5000's as well as the markl modded d2000's, and the sound is definitely better with the Markl mods, tighter bass and smoother highs, but the mods make it quite heavy and less comfortable than the stock headphones.  Still comfortable, but heavier.

I'm using a singlepower Supra OTL tube amp, which has enough raw power to drive them (the 6bl7's I use can put out 1.5 watts).  If you can find a tube amp that puts out sufficient power, that's the way to go.  Otherwise, a good hybrid amp will work well with them.

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2009, 04:43 pm »
Tyson,

Thanks.  I'd probably be using these with a bottlehead s.e.x. amp, which should have enough juice.  May have to tweak the value of the 120 ohm series resistors on the headphone jack, but that's easy enough to do.

Did you do the mods yourself or have them done?

-- Jim

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2009, 05:06 pm »
Had them done.  It's not too hard to do yourself, but since I was getting the D2000's new, there's no reason not to have markl do them.  BTW, the D2000 modded and rewired is exactly the same (and a lot cheaper) as the D5000 modded.

cryoparts

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2009, 05:49 pm »
Good cans.

I am now rebuilding a set of AHD-2000's with some Mulga cups, a rewire and some other tweaks, it will be interesting to compare them with the 5000's.

Lee

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2009, 01:30 pm »
Tyson,

Ok, read through the 38 or so pages of the markl thread over on head-fi and now I get it.  Though I still have no idea what sensaphonic prophonic x2 soft is.

Yes, the LA-2000 is most likely what I'm looking for.  I'm going to contact him today.

Just curious, how long of a cable do you have?

-- Jim

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2009, 03:11 pm »
Sensaphonics 2x, probable the best in-ear monitor in the world (although Ultimate Ears might give them some competition):

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_2xs.html

I got my D2000's rewired with a D5000 cable, it's about 2 meters, but it's not long enough, so I recently switched from a grado extension cable to a Bolder Cables Nitro extension cable w/Locking terminals and it's MUCH better. 

One thing I would STRONGLY recommend is having the inside surface of the cups covered with a soft, absorbent material.  I used a polishing cloth with and almost "terrycloth" like texture, worked WONDERS for taming that in-your-face brightness that the standard markl mod has.

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2009, 03:30 pm »
Thanks for the tips -- I may just do this piecemeal -- have the basic mods done and buy the woodies and then do the rewire myself.  I actually am having trouble understanding why they take good OCC wire then tight braid it and top it off by tying a knot in it.  To my mind that's just wrong, but if it works for them, so be it.  I'd much rather use some of the precious little enamelled OCC wire I have left, use a loose multi-strand braid and put it in a cotton or silk, or both, jacket.  I've got a couple of the monster furutech plugs here too, so why pay somebody else for one.

As far as IEMs go, I really can't tolerate them anymore -- more to do with my health than anything.  I had Ety ER4Ss for a long time and really liked them, and also a pair of UE 5 Pros, which were ultimately too much in the top end for me and led to listening fatigue pretty quickly.

Anyway, plenty to ponder -- as usual.

-- Jim

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2009, 04:26 pm »
top it off by tying a knot in it. 

Use a wire tie instead of tying a knot.

Lee

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2009, 06:09 pm »
Is the D7000 not an option before going through all of this modding?

cryoparts

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2009, 10:12 pm »
Is the D7000 not an option before going through all of this modding?

What's the fun in that?   :lol:

The 7000 uses the same driver as the 2000 and 5000 and the cable that is used is still not as nice as many aftermarket models.

Peace,

Lee

Schosh

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2009, 05:20 pm »
Yep I'm rockin a pair of D5K's with the MarkL mod(done by myself with a slighty different recipe)and Bubinga woods. They are fantastically deep and dense in their presentation, slightly reserved with their mids and carry a smooth high end. Much better after I performed the mods with about 150 hours of use on them run through a Musichall DAC 25.2 and fed FLAC! Think I'll go the D2K route next time for my planned cable rewire(any suggestions for a quad conductor cable w a AWG of 20-22) and save the cash for some Tazmanian Blackwood from MarkL. Anyways love my D5K's and highly recommend them.S.

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2009, 05:50 pm »
Yep I'm rockin a pair of D5K's with the MarkL mod(done by myself with a slighty different recipe)and Bubinga woods. They are fantastically deep and dense in their presentation, slightly reserved with their mids and carry a smooth high end. Much better after I performed the mods with about 150 hours of use on them run through a Musichall DAC 25.2 and fed FLAC! Think I'll go the D2K route next time for my planned cable rewire(any suggestions for a quad conductor cable w a AWG of 20-22) and save the cash for some Tazmanian Blackwood from MarkL. Anyways love my D5K's and highly recommend them.S.

Nice.  A set of Mulga wood cups that Mark made are now residing on my 2000's, and they are beautiful!  I rewired them with a custom wire I had made (but do not offer for sale).  Once you take the stock 2000 wire off and look closely at it, you will wonder how they sounded any good at all! 

In any event, my 2000's are sounding better (to me) than the 5000's...time to go to work on those.

Peace,

Lee