I'm about to be an Odyssey owner!

rcj1231

« on: 17 Dec 2003, 11:40 pm »
Just talked to Klaus. My new Extreme Monoblocks and Tempest preamp are completed and will be shipped in a couple of days!  :D  Hurray!

Any advice from the Odyssey gang?

Rick

randog

« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2003, 01:37 am »
Don't drop them on your toes.

markC

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:36 am »
Be patient during the run-in period. I can pretty much assure you that they will sound like shit out of the box, but within a few hours they will be more than tolerable. I first had a stereo version and now am enjoying a dual mono.  After a couple of weeks worth of listening, they will start to come together, I'm sure. Great bass control, smooth, believable mids, well extendened highs,(if it has a short comming, it is in the high end), but IMHO. A great well rounded amp,(s), for the $.

amandarae

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2003, 05:14 am »
Congratulations! :beer:

Now, to lessen the headache of the infamous "break-in" period assuming that you are into DIY, take some time to build this:

http://www.hagtech.com/frykleaner.html

As for the pre and the amp, great choices my friend! :thumb:  

......extend my regards on your way to audio heaven..... :D

rcj1231

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2003, 07:12 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Randog. I like my toes and wish to keep them.

Amandarae, does this frykleaner really reduce the break-in time for amps?

Rick

amandarae

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2003, 07:42 pm »
rcj1231,

The FryKleaner is a broadband amplitude modulated frequency sweeper device (i.e. very corrosive frequencies are coming out).  Which means that the Low, mid low, mid hi, and high frequencies are excited in one sweep/pass that last for about 5-8 seconds and then cycles.

Considering that if you play music (cd's, vinyl, tuner etc.) and try to excite the same frequencies that the FryKleaner does, it will take a lot of time (not to mnetion lots of CD/vinyl/Fm station) to cover the same that the FryKleaner can in, one single sweep.

Yes, a test CD on repeat will perform the trick also.  But from my understanding, the reason why this device "burns-in" a particular device faster is because of one distinct quality.  (Here's a text of the description of the unit from the website where it was mentioned)

"FryKleaner is a self-contained burn-in signal generator. Its unique signal consists of a broadband noise source that is amplitude modulated by a swept low frequency sinewave. This combination not only exercises all possible frequencies with music-like transients, but additionally works the DUB's (device under burn) power supply. This is significant for amplifiers. A continuous noise source would appear as a constant pull on the power supply, whereas the ultra-low frequency information of the FryKleaner forces it to react.[/i][/u] "

In my experienced, my amp performs better after I swept the whole system 10-15 minutes with the FryKleaner before listening session begins.
So, I really believe that the FryKleaner is better as advertised.