BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2009, 06:03 pm »
Winnipeg Canada.   BP26 linestage and the DAC.  Both Black 17 in.  thanks

Oops sorry about that - I have a customer in Holland doing the same thing - weird!

james

mitcho

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2009, 06:12 pm »
trade him places in January

werd

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2009, 06:35 pm »

Oops sorry about that - I have a customer in Holland doing the same thing - weird!

james

Nah .... you just Alicia Keys on your brain.....  :lol:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2009, 09:04 pm »

james

Nah .... you just Alicia Keys on your brain.....  :lol:

lapdance?

al.

mitcho

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2009, 05:23 pm »
received the BP26 today.  Looking forward to giving it a try.   I expect the outboard DAC to arrive sometime this week.

The preamp looks very solid and well built.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jun 2009, 07:44 pm »
So you didn't get the internal phono stage?

mitcho

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2009, 10:26 pm »
no.  I kept my Audiomat Phono 1 phono stage.   It is virtually new.  Had bought it from the original owner.  Only had 5 hours on it.    Was not getting what I wanted for it so I bought the BP26 linestage.  The audiomat does not take up too much room.   It's like the size of 2 Cdn cigarette packages end on end from each other.

vegasdave

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2009, 11:50 pm »
Ok, cool. Maybe later on you can get the Bryston phono stage in your preamp. I have one in my BP6P, and it is fantastic!

mitcho

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jun 2009, 12:16 am »
that is always an option.   If I had sold the Audiomat for what I had wanted, I would have added in the phono card.

alexone

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jun 2009, 05:13 am »
Ok, cool. Maybe later on you can get the Bryston phono stage in your preamp. I have one in my BP6P, and it is fantastic!

Dave,

if i understand it correctly then you can either order a 26 line OR 26 dac OR 26 phono. it's not an usual ''upgrade'' to go from a 26 line to a 26 phono ??
maybe James can tell us how it works...

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:11 am »

Dave,

if i understand it correctly then you can either order a 26 line OR 26 dac OR 26 phono. it's not an usual ''upgrade'' to go from a 26 line to a 26 phono ??

al.

Hi All,

Yes the BP26 can be ordered as a line,phono or DAC.  You can not have phono and dac as there is not enough room in the preamp for both.

If you add the DAC or phono later it can be done but the preamp has to have the facplate and the rear panel changed to accomodate the physical and label changes.

james
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2009, 01:07 pm by James Tanner »

mitcho

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jun 2009, 12:47 pm »
thanks for the info.  It's what I had anticipated since the mono/ stereo switch is changed on the front.   I am fine with just the line stage.   I like the flexibility of the external phono stage.

mitcho

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
the outboard DAC is arriving today.   Looking forward to it.  Sold my prior DAC over a month ago.   

mitcho

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jun 2009, 05:27 am »
seems to work very well.   it's a lot fuller sounding than the Benchmark.   I owned the Benchmark before.   The Benchmark was a little light in the bottom end.   The BDA-1 reminds me more of the Timbre TT1 DAC which was very good.  Using the DAC  with the BP26 allows me to change inputs since the new remote can control both.  So I can now control most inputs as well with the remote.   The only manually switching I need to do with the remote is when I use the phono.   All my other inputs go through the DAC.  I am sure it will improve over the next day or so since it's hardly warmed up and stabilized yet.    Really made an improvement to my Squeezebox for sonics.

Overall very pleased with both.   The BP26 seems to be a lot fuller in sonics to the BP25 I owned.   I assume the new power supply adds more beef to the mix.  A lot richer in sonics.  I am sure it's not fully broken in/ warmed up either.   I am sure they both will improve over the next number of days.   SS seems to need at least 3 days to stabilize/ warm up fully.   They are all small enough to give me some room in my stand.

Dilbert

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2009, 01:55 pm »
Just wait until the BDA has had a week or two of continuous break-in. it really opens up. :D

mitcho

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2009, 02:16 pm »
I am looking forward to it.   They will both be on 24/7.  I don't turn off SS (other than my Class A amp)

vegasdave

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:16 am »

Dave,

al.

Hi All,

Yes the BP26 can be ordered as a line,phono or DAC.  You can not have phono and dac as there is not enough room in the preamp for both.

If you add the DAC or phono later it can be done but the preamp has to have the facplate and the rear panel changed to accomodate the physical and label changes.

james

Just to let everyone know, you can have both phono and DAC the BP16.

I wonder why more people don't have the BP16. It would have been my top choice, but I couldn't afford it.

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:18 am »
thanks for the info.  It's what I had anticipated since the mono/ stereo switch is changed on the front.   I am fine with just the line stage.   I like the flexibility of the external phono stage.

You can always get the Bryston external phono stage down the road.

alexone

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jun 2009, 10:33 am »

Dave,

al.

Hi All,

james

Just to let everyone know, you can have both phono and DAC the BP16.

I wonder why more people don't have the BP16. It would have been my top choice, but I couldn't afford it.

yes, the 16 is indeed a very nice preamp and it was my top choice at first, too. but it has no balanced ins and so i bought the 26. but for everyone who doesn't need balanced connections the 16 is a very versatile unit.

al.

mitcho

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:28 pm »
I thought the BP16 was a step down from the 26.   Is that not correct??