BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC

mitcho

BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC
« on: 2 May 2009, 02:28 pm »
is there a large difference between the outboard DAC and the DAC included on the BP26 DAC model?   I have been trying to cut down on items in my stand and I presently use an outboard DAC.  If I got the BP26 with the DAC, it would cut down one more item in the stand.   The 2 inputs would be enough for my use.   Is there a long wait when ordering?   Since I have to pay in full prior to ordering which I had done with the 3B SST2.  I understand the longer wait on the new line, but was not sure how long on the 26.

Is there any difference at all from the stock BP26 or the BP25 (regardless model) when you get the MPS2 and the upgrades to the preamp?  I would assume they would be identical then.  If so, I could also look at upgrading the 25 to the 26 instead.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP26 DAC vs outboard DAC
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2009, 03:11 pm »
is there a large difference between the outboard DAC and the DAC included on the BP26 DAC model?   I have been trying to cut down on items in my stand and I presently use an outboard DAC.  If I got the BP26 with the DAC, it would cut down one more item in the stand.   The 2 inputs would be enough for my use.   Is there a long wait when ordering?   Since I have to pay in full prior to ordering which I had done with the 3B SST2.  I understand the longer wait on the new line, but was not sure how long on the 26.

Is there any difference at all from the stock BP26 or the BP25 (regardless model) when you get the MPS2 and the upgrades to the preamp?  I would assume they would be identical then.  If so, I could also look at upgrading the 25 to the 26 instead.

Hi Mitcho,

The DAC in the BP26 is limited to two COAX inputs and 96/24 whereas the BDA-1 outboard DAC is capable of native 192/24 as well as 8 variable digital inputs. Given the world is moving towards multiple hi-res digital files I would opt for the outboard DAC.

The BP25 with the MPS-2 is esentially a BP26.

james

mitcho

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2009, 03:31 pm »
thanks for the info.  Is there a long wait for a 26?   I might be better getting a MM phono included instead.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2009, 03:41 pm »
thanks for the info.  Is there a long wait for a 26?   I might be better getting a MM phono included instead.

Hi Mitcho

Anyone involved on Bryston Audiocircle gets extra special treatment :icon_lol: so let me know when and whom you order from and I will fast track it for you.

james

mitcho

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2009, 07:24 pm »
will do.  will probably cancel the 3b order and just go with the 26 for now.   It's a long wait for a 3b at present. can revisit the 3b at a later date when the order time is less.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2009, 07:34 pm »
Hey mitch

Strongly consider the BDA-1, it is a phenomenal unit and like what James says its very versatile. I own one and its been serving me quite well. The dac also has usb in along with a host of other inputs. With all the inputs it really serves as the source switch for me i and barely touch my bp25. The dac blows away the dac in my pioneer UDP, so a result i have it hooked into my bda for conversion. The DVD audio from my pioneer also isnt even close in performance,(in comparison)to the 48k i get using coax out of my pioneer.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2009, 07:53 pm »
mitch,

don't forget that you will loose the mono/stereo switch if you go for a 26 dac or a 26 mm/mc. the mono/stereo switch might not be the most important thing you need...but i think that it completes a STEREO system very well.

so go for the BDA-1 and enjoy the music!!!

al.

mitcho

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2009, 08:01 pm »
I will be considering the DAC at a later date.  I have been using outboard DAC's for a long time.   A good DAC will even make a cheaper transport sound good.  I presently have a Timbre TT1 which is a DAC I have used for a long time.  Also used a Benchmark.  (I prefer the Timbre over the Benchmark)  Will see how much room I have later to see if I can squeeze in the DAC to my stand.   I had hoped the DAC in the BP26 would be fine as I was wanting to cut down the no. of items in my stand.   My phono stage (Audiomat Phono 1)  does not take up much room so I had wanted to keep it and not the DAC which takes up a lot of room in the stand.  I would assume the BDA-1 takes up as much room as the MPS2 or BP26.   The Timbre is really the same size so it's a saw off.   The Audiomat phono stage is only the size of a cigarette package and it handles MM and MC cartridges.

Size wise, the BP26 with the inboard DAC would serve me better.  Will see.  Have the weekend to mull it over.  I cancelled the amp order just now so I have the funds sitting there for a majority of the preamp purchase.  The BP26 is more than was the 3B.   The dealer was fine changing the order since he indicated the 3B had not been delivered to him.  He indicated he would fax Bryston the change today.

Debating the BP26 with a phono or the DAC.  Each saves some room, but the internal DAC option saves me the most room.   Will keep my amp for now instead of the 3B.   Will reconsider it later after the line up has been around for awhile.  It's not as long a wait for the 26.  

I was not aware of the loss of the switch.   Will look over the changes.  I have not really used a mono/ stereo switch other than checking balance.

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2009, 10:32 pm »
When James says he will fast track something.....it more like really fast track something!

mitcho

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2009, 12:03 am »

Hi Mitcho,

The DAC in the BP26 is limited to two COAX inputs and 96/24 whereas the BDA-1 outboard DAC is capable of native 192/24 as well as 8 variable digital inputs. Given the world is moving towards multiple hi-res digital files I would opt for the outboard DAC.

james

would the DAC in the 26 be close to the sonics of the BP26?  2 inputs are all I require.   I have a HT system as well that uses more DAC inputs there.  I use another DAC for that one.

This one is more for CD play and the odd DVD. 2 channel.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2009, 12:23 am »

Hi Mitcho,

james

would the DAC in the 26 be close to the sonics of the BP26?  2 inputs are all I require.   I have a HT system as well that uses more DAC inputs there.  I use another DAC for that one.

This one is more for CD play and the odd DVD. 2 channel.   

Hi Mitcho - yes the sonics would be similar with the 26 DAC as long as 192/24 is all you need.

james

mitcho

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2009, 12:54 am »
great.   I will get a BP26 DAC.   Will call him on Monday and order the DAC model.   I will cover the difference between the 3B and the 26.

If I had more room, I would go with the outboard, but this is more practical at present.   If I really needed it later, I could do some alterations.   I am sure the inboard will be enough for me.   I have been using an older DAC now so I won't notice any difference.   The onboard DAC has more resolution than my present DAC.

thank you for the information

niels

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2009, 09:26 am »
When I was looking for a new amp I had to consider space. I have all my equipment, including tv inside an old chinese cupboard. Weight was also a limiting factor since 100 year old flimsy wooden boards are not so sturdy.
I chose the B100, and when I got the Squeezebox I didnt have to think twice about a dac, I ordered the dac board. I am extremely pleased with this setup, the whole preamp, poweramp and dac combo is the size of a small shoe box, its not so heavy, and the sound from my 3 digital sources, cable tv dekoder, dvd player and Squeezebox is incredibly transparent....

mitcho

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2009, 02:47 pm »
one last question.   could the outboard DAC be placed directly on top of the preamp/ power supply?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2009, 03:05 pm »
one last question.   could the outboard DAC be placed directly on top of the preamp/ power supply?

Hi, Mitcho,

It can as it is very well shielded. I have my BP26 preamp section stacked on top of my MPS-2 power supply then the DAC and then the CD Player.

4 pieces look great together!

james

mitcho

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2009, 03:42 pm »
might be an option.   I believe between the BP26, MPS2 and the DAC, it's about 6.25 inches.   Could not see the dimensions of the MPS2, but I would assume it's the same as the preamp 2.25 inches tall.    Will see if that fits in the stand.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2009, 05:23 pm »
might be an option.   I believe between the BP26, MPS2 and the DAC, it's about 6.25 inches.   Could not see the dimensions of the MPS2, but I would assume it's the same as the preamp 2.25 inches tall.    Will see if that fits in the stand.

Yes all the new product is the same size - CD, BP26. BCA-1

james

mitcho

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2009, 05:54 pm »
I ordered the BP26 and a BDA1 DAC today.   Paid it in full.   Had used the funds that I originally had paid for a 3B and paid the difference above the original cost of the 3B.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2009, 05:56 pm »
I ordered the BP26 and a BDA1 DAC today.   Paid it in full.   Had used the funds that I originally had paid for a 3B and paid the difference above the original cost of the 3B.

Hi Mitcho,

Great - will keep my eye out for the order - Holland - correct?

james

mitcho

« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2009, 05:59 pm »
Winnipeg Canada.   BP26 linestage and the DAC.  Both Black 17 in.  thanks