Eichmann Bulletplugs for Superlatives?

dayneger

« on: 17 Dec 2003, 09:01 pm »
Hi Kevin

Everyone seems to be raving about these guys.  Have you tried a pair on your Superlatives, or are you considering it?

I've been enjoying mine the way they are (although I unfortunately got the silver Cardas version--oxidation's not my favorite look), but the curiousity about these Bulletplugs is starting to get to me!  :wink:

Dayne

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 09:09 pm »
I also love my Superlatives, however I don't trust myself or my soldering skills around those plastic Eichman's.   I may try the silver version of the Superlatives.  Have you tried those?  

J

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2003, 12:21 am »
I'm not a big fan of the Eichmans.  I'm sure they sound great but there is something about cheap plastic that turns me off.  

The Cardas GSMO has the silver contacts and the gold barrel.  I use those because the SLVRs do get ugly over time.  Same materials in the signal path but the outer doesn't oxidize like the SLVRs.  The GRMO is a good part also but more expensive.

stvnharr

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2004, 08:16 am »
I have used both on my Superlatives.   Cardas is the best looking, being all metal.   The Eichmanns's are easy to solder up, are a very well thought out design, but have a "cheapish" look with the teflon.
Both sound the same.
Eichmann's are very expensive.  Buy a couple cd's instead.

IanATC

Bullets
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2004, 08:05 pm »
Folks,
         I have DNM audio with the bullet plugs.  All I can say is, THEY ARE WORTH IT!

Plastic is superior to metal in this application because no magnetic fields or EMI is involved.  

I am telling you, the bullets are magificent! :mrgreen:

I probably won't switch out DNM IC's with bullet plugs in my lifetime.

Kevin P

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2004, 06:09 pm »
I still won't use them. ;)    The lack of durability, questionable dielectric materials and total lack of shielding are all a turn-off to me.  I like the pin based ground but the rest has been poorly executed in my opinion.

ABEX

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2004, 08:27 pm »
Out of the low cost RCA's I tried they sound the best and that is what I am after.

Seems like all RCA's color the sound to me and the Eichs have the least coloration of them all.

About the only criticism I have is the Bass is alittle light using them as opposed to something like Rhodium plugs.

For the $$ they are the best out there. The coppers even work good with Silver wire.

What have others found to work good besides them? Am wondering as I have tried Homegrowns ,Daytons and Cardas.

Good luck!

Kevin P

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2004, 08:57 pm »
Quote from: ABEX
Out of the low cost RCA's I tried they sound the best and that is what I am after.

What I'm after is what sounds the best in the widest number of circumstances.   I'm also interested in what will perform for years to come under reasonable use.  For those two reasons the Cardas RCAs are a better part in my opinion than the Eichmans.

DTB300

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2004, 02:12 am »
For those that have a "problem" with the plastic bullet, WBT has now put out their version of the Bullet RCA.  I have seen them for 25-30 a piece.

Later...Dan

Kevin P

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2004, 04:00 pm »
DTB300:   Yes... and I stock them!  :)

They are what I consider hideously expensive but they solve the issues I have with the Eichman.     For my personal use I'll still use the Cardas RCAs because they are made well and are a fraction of the cost of the WBT part (I'm cheap).   For those without a budget though the NextGen get's my vote.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=492

WBT also has a female chassis mount which I have in stock but have yet to add to the web site.   It is a perfect match for the RCA and has similiar design features and cost.

F-100

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2004, 04:10 pm »
I can understand why Kevin doesn't like the Eichmann Bullet plugs. These plastic plugs are not durable and will break apart very easily.  I know this because I have four broken plugs in my possession :(

DTB300

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2004, 04:13 pm »
Yes, Kevin and your site is where I saw them!!!  They look wonderful, but I would agree on the price.  WBT does make some nice stuff, but they are high priced.

BTW, I am interested in the Female RCA connectors from your site - Cardas RCA's.  But I see thick and thin, short and long :)  I will drop you and email asking some more questions about them (as I do not know if this forum is the place for it), solder, soldering iron etc for the DIY job of replacing my old female RCA's on my SS Amps.

Later...Dan

ABEX

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2004, 04:35 pm »
Kevin P

The Eichmans hold their own against the Cardas I think. As far as durability I have not had trouble with them and used a set without any type of strain relief for over a year.I found a good way of providing strain relief with them also.

Of others that I have talked to that produce cables they have found them to be better for sound quality over a number of other RCA's including Cardas,Homegrown and Canare.

Just my results and what I have gathered from others and your results might not be the same. They did best Cardas SLVR's,Daytons WBT knockoffs and Homegrowns when I tested last year using a Passive with reference quality speakers.

I had some people inadvertently put them on and push the pins back. I have not had it happen to myself in my systems.
If people can afford the WBT's which I have not tried yet,hey cool!  

I have people using Cardas also and it's an alternative to Eichmanns ,but I do like the quality of playback I get using them as much. Less metal in the design is closer than no metal and a straight contact I guess. I tried 47Labs Connectors which do not get good contact all the time either,but when you do it is good.

Would like to develop a better type of RCA that does not have as much metal to it along the lines of the eichmanns\WBT's that gets a true contact and does not have issues like the Pins.

Good luck!