DIY sealed subwoofers using Exodus DPL-15

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
DIY sealed subwoofers using Exodus DPL-15
« on: 2 May 2009, 01:16 am »
Novice sub-builder here.

Wondering whether anyone has modeled the Exodus DPL-15 from DIY Cable for a sealed subwoofer application?

I have two of these units I would like to put in two identical sealed enclosures, but am unsure about optimal box size (dimensions or internal capacity).

ideally, I'd like to keep the enclosures as small as possible as the mains will be right alongside.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Tried Unibox but no data on the DPL-15 there. Or can I just input the DPL-15 driver specs myself?

Regards

Luigi

Kevin Haskins

Re: DIY sealed subwoofers using Exodus DPL-15
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2009, 03:04 pm »
Wrong application for that driver.   We designed the DPL-15 around Infinite Baffle & Dipole applications.   That means that the optimal sized box is infinitely large in size.   It is a fantastic Dipole/IB driver with low noise, great parameters for the application and the Klippel was superb.    I don't know of another driver that surpasses it in that application but for a small sealed box your much better using a pair of Shiva-Xs.   

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2009, 11:21 pm »
Hi Kevin

Thanks for your comments. I immediately turned the sealed subs into U baffles by merely removing their rear panels, and the sound improved markely. They also integrated much better with the mains, and the slightly boominess disappeared, naturally enough.

I have no measuring software so I was wondering whether anyone can give me some direction as to the optimal size of a U baffle for this application (DPL-15)?

What Im wondering really is whether or not someone has done the math for these drivers, when used as dipole subs? Or would an H baffle be better?

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

I dont really care that much about the size of the baffles, though naturally smaller would better!

Cheers

Luigi

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2009, 12:29 am »
One important resource is John Kreskovsky. He should be able to model the DPL-15 for you pretty easily if Kevin can e-mail him the Klippel parameters...I hope that's okay with Kevin as is this post. If not then please delete.

John K can be contacted at:

www.musicanddesign.com

I would say he knows his U-frames and H-frames quite well  :green:

Best,
Anand.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:10 am »
Would it really be that bad to put this driver in an 8" cf sealed box? My calcs show a Qtc of about 1 - yeah, kinda high but where else are you going to find a sealed sub with an F3 of 22hz with no EQ?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:01 pm »
Would it really be that bad to put this driver in an 8" cf sealed box? My calcs show a Qtc of about 1 - yeah, kinda high but where else are you going to find a sealed sub with an F3 of 22hz with no EQ?

If your happy with the response, go for it.   I'd consider using some EQ.   At least consider the Velodyne SMS-1 which will give you a room measurement, and EQ tools also.   That allows you to get around some of the physical response issues.  Want a response that looks like a Q = 0.707?   Just dial it in. 

Zero the Hero

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:35 pm »
Thanks Kevin - I meant no boost, i was thinking about a BFD DSP-1124 for parametric EQ to trim a bit off the top; I'm not made of money for the Velo :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2009, 07:21 pm »
Thanks Kevin - I meant no boost, i was thinking about a BFD DSP-1124 for parametric EQ to trim a bit off the top; I'm not made of money for the Velo :)

The Velo is $400 with the purchase of a sub.   You have a couple hundred more bucks in it but I think it is a much easier solution to use.    You also get a remote volume control, presets, etc...etc...     It is money well spent.