Speaker on/off switch for receiver?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Speaker on/off switch for receiver?
« on: 30 Apr 2009, 02:34 pm »
After a heads up and conversation with David (Rydenfan) I was toying with going back to using a receiver as my HT pre/pro.  The Denon 3808 has great functionality (almost identical to my Onkyo Pro 885), and I might be able to jettison a surround amp (and maybe even an analog pre/pro that runs my SACD/DVDA stuff, but that's another story)..  However, I have just realized that I'll have a connection issue, likely unique to my setup...but I thought that some DIY'ers or experienced AC problem solvers might help.

I run two setups with my Onkyo pre/pro, a 5.1 and 7.1 setup.  Both use the fronts fine, and the front three speakers are not an issue with the proposed setup either.  It's all about the surrounds.  In the 7.1 movie setup I have a 4 channel amp that is connected to sides and rear surround pre/pro outputs.  This amp could be jettisoned with the receiver idea; I'd simply use the receivers side surround and back surround amp modules.  No big deal.  In the 5.1 hirez music setup I use a higher end 2 channel (stereo) amp that connects to my SP Tech Continuums for identical-driver-high-end-SACD/DVDA-music-surround experience.  In that scenario the 4 channel movie amp is not on.  This is accomplished also due to the fact that the Onkyo 885 has two sets of surround outputs, balanced and RCA.  (I also have an option to go to another analog pre/pro for better hirez sonics, but it's a moot point regarding this speaker connection issue)

The problem arises in that in the new proposed receiver setup, although the receiver has a set of pre outs (surround pre out would be connected to my surround 2 channel amp), there is no way to independently run the 2 channel surround amp AND have the receivers surround speakers off!  They are on whenever the receiver is on!  DOH!  The receiver has a surround B option, but it uses it's cheap amp modules, not a pre out capability.  That's not an option for me.

So.....anybody out there know a way to wire up my side and rear movie surrounds with some sort of on/off switch or switchbox inline?  I have an old Russound speaker selector box, and have googled several others, but their main function is to split and select...not what I need.  I need a simpler function.....disconnect/mute/turn off.  And I need it to be a simple push button kind of solution.  I could reach behind one of the racks to the patch panel and pull the eight banana plugs but that's not reasonable.  :)

Thanks in advance
Ted

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Speaker on/off switch for receiver?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2009, 03:37 pm »
Ted,

I might not be following you properly, but I think you can handle it this way with the Denon 3808CI:

-  Have your SP Techs connected to the preamp out for the Surround L/R

This will allow you to use your good 2 channel amp for 5.1 Hi-rez music.

-  Have your 4 surround speakers that you use for 7.1 HT connected to the binding posts (Surround B L/R and Surround Back L/R)

This will allow the Denon to power your four HT speakers for 7.1 movies.

If you are connected this way, you will simply need to go into the configuration menu for the 3808CI and select the proper setup.

This is how I use my system and there are no issues.

Here is a picture of the back of the 3808CI to help visualize what I am suggesting:

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2009, 03:51 pm »
George,
Yes, you got it, that is my intended connection process.  However.... where in the setup do you tell the receiver NOT to power the internal surrounds and rears, yet send a signal to the pre outs (for signal going to the external fronts, center, sub and surrounds)?  I have the downloaded manual available.

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2009, 04:29 pm »
Why do you want the internal amps to be powered off?  To conserve electricity? 

I don't think most receivers have a function that allows you to selectively disable internal amps.  It's not a bad idea, but I haven't noticed it as a feature.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2009, 04:34 pm »
Why do you want the internal amps to be powered off?  To conserve electricity? 

I don't think most receivers have a function that allows you to selectively disable internal amps.  It's not a bad idea, but I haven't noticed it as a feature.

I want the internal amps off cuz I don't want to hear 10 speakers when I play 5.1 hirez. 

I just spoke with George and his surround B option works perfectly.  When I play 5.1 I go into the speaker setup and tell the 3808 I don't have back surrounds (turns them off), and pick surround A (which is my external amp driven from "surround pre out") instead of B (internal 3808 speaker posts).  Brilliant; convenient; couch-potato-ready; problem solved.   :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2009, 02:34 pm »
Well, and update to my 3808 speaker switching and channel trim issues.  Not only did I have the original issue of using separate speakers for hiez surround, but I found out that when I use Denon Link from my Modwright Denon 3910 to the Denon 3808 it turns off the 3910's internal channel trim capability.  A problem ensued cuz the 3808's calibrated trims for 7.1 weren't close for my dedicated 5.1 hirez music surround setup 9especially the subwoofer).  Well.......I'm here to tell you that the 3808 has a function called Quick Selects (3 of them) that work like charms. You can store everything in there.  For my setup this function is a godsend. Select 1 is for my SACD/DVD-A (Denon Link) setup, which automagically turns off the back speakers, switches surrounds b (internal) to surrounds a (external), tweaks the center, surrounds and sub channel level trims, and of course, picks the input and surround mode (DSD multichannel direct). No additional button pushes, etc....and was able to program my three QS's (SACD, Blu-Ray, Cable) into my Pronto. Yes.   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2009, 02:37 pm »
Well, and update to my 3808 speaker switching and channel trim issues.  Not only did I have the original issue of using separate speakers for hiez surround, but I found out that when I use Denon Link from my Modwright Denon 3910 to the Denon 3808 it turns off the 3910's internal channel trim capability.  A problem ensued cuz the 3808's calibrated trims for 7.1 weren't close for my dedicated 5.1 hirez music surround setup 9especially the subwoofer).  Well.......I'm here to tell you that the 3808 has a function called Quick Selects (3 of them) that work like charms. You can store everything in there.  For my setup this function is a godsend. Select 1 is for my SACD/DVD-A (Denon Link) setup, which automagically turns off the back speakers, switches surrounds b (internal) to surrounds a (external), tweaks the center, surrounds and sub channel level trims, and of course, picks the input and surround mode (DSD multichannel direct). No additional button pushes, etc....and was able to program my three QS's (SACD, Blu-Ray, Cable) into my Pronto. Yes.   :thumb:

Glad it worked out well Ted.

I am little embarrassed that I didn't realize that this functionality exists in the 3808CI (since I have owned one for over a year).  I never bothered to read the documentation and was simply doing portions of what you described manually.

Guess I will use that functionality when I find some time to set it up.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2009, 02:46 pm »
George,
Necessity is the mother ('s day) of invention.  I only found it as I went looking.  Using it is a snap.  Simply do whatever you need to do to set up your input, then hold down one of the three Quick Select's on the front panel (lower right) like holding down a radio button for a preset.  Done!  Everything is stored (even the volume setting, so don't hold it down during a head bashing session or you'll be blasted later).

Thanks again to you and David (Rydenfan) for helping me find this little gem, and for initially understanding the speaker issues.  Finding Quick Select is my little payback.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2009, 02:53 pm »
George,
Necessity is the mother ('s day) of invention.  I only found it as I went looking.  Using it is a snap.  Simply do whatever you need to do to set up your input, then hold down one of the three Quick Select's on the front panel (lower right) like holding down a radio button for a preset.  Done!  Everything is stored (even the volume setting, so don't hold it down during a head bashing session or you'll be blasted later).

Thanks again to you and David (Rydenfan) for helping me find this little gem, and for initially understanding the speaker issues.  Finding Quick Select is my little payback.  :)

Muchas gracias Ted.

Wish Mrs. Brady a Happy Mother's Day for me.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2009, 04:08 pm »
And the same to your Mrs. Hoenninger!

And don't forget to use the web interface to save the config.dat file, just in case.