Nitro Power Cord sounds great

Jay S

« on: 16 Dec 2003, 10:10 pm »
I'd been curious about trying Wayne's well-regarded Nitro power cords for a while.  When the Christmas sale came around ($92 for a 3 foot cable) I figured it was time to take the plunge.  

I ordered 2 4.5 foot cables -- for my source and my pre amp.  

Based on advice to start with my source then work downstream, I first put a Nitro PC (replacing an old Type 1 Belden-based power cord) on my Toshiba dvd player.  The dvd player was forced into duties as a transport after I sold my solid-as-a-tank Cary cd player a couple of months ago.  

The improvements were immediately clear!  The top end was formerly kinda brittle (no surprise given my transport) but became quite a bit smoother.  Listening further, I noticed that bass became a bit deeper, pacing and rhythm had more drive, and the soundstage seemed a bit more dimensional, with some improvement in detail as well.  Clarity improved -- I was listening to "Penny Lane" by the Beatles and the line about the banker wearing a "mac" (a raincoat) in the pouring rain finally was clear!  

Next, I added the 2nd Nitro, replacing another Type 1 power cord on my preamp.  The sound seemed a bit more dynamic and bass lined snapped into focus and became more clearly defined.  

I'm a happy camper.  Adding 2 Nitro power cords helped my system recover maybe 70% of the ground it lost when I switched transports from a $3k Cary cdp to a 4 year old (and somewhat flimsy) Toshiba dvd player, which is quite amazing when you think about it.  I used to miss my Cary cdp almost everytime I'd sit down to listen, now no more.

Based on this experience, I am thinking about sending my DI/O power supply back to Wayne to replace the hard-wired Type 1 power cord with Nitro.  At $50 (on sale) it seems like a good idea.  Another possible future upgrade is to replace the hard-wired power cable on my ACI Force powered sub with Nitro (deeper, tighter bass and greater drive being perfect in a sub).

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2003, 10:51 pm »
Is there a sale on upgraded power supply cords?  $50 seems like a great deal.  Also, has anyone heard from Wayne about the upgraded power cord in AVA amps?  

J

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2003, 10:55 pm »
Wayne has lots of things on sale (see website).  I've also bought a 4m M-80 IC for my sub.  

Upgraded power cord for AVA gear also now available.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2003, 05:02 pm »
I think Wayne's Nitro and M80 cords, cables and ICs are some of the best value in the cable market.  I find most other hi-end cords are nothing more than ad-hoc EQs.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2003, 06:25 pm »
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.

All of the cables I build are intended to be as neutral as possible, for the price point.

I do not feel that cables should use lots of metal or have thick insulation around the conductors. The NITRO power cables are faily thin and very flexible. They are able to easily pass 15 amps of current through them.

During my experimentation with power cables, I built one that had a covering of 1" diameter tubing over the conductors. I brought it over to Tyson's and he thought it was really cool looking. He asked what gauge wire was used, 4 AWG? When I told him it was made with 14, he was very disappointed :)

Jason loved it. He made sure he held the 3 foot long version between his legs, dangling down.  :lol:  That design was dubbed the JasonCord. It didn't sound that great but sure looked impressive.  :P

Jack,

The upgrade for the Van Alstine gear is on sale to the end of the year:
Van Alstine Power Cord Upgrades

As is the upgrade to the ART DI/O power supply
ART DI/O Power Supply

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2003, 11:35 pm »
Frankly, I was surprised how nice the Nitro power cord sounded right from the start.  Given my past experience with power cords, I expected it to need 100+ hours of break-in (in addition to the time the cord spent on Wayne's cable cooker) before I could really sit back and relax.  Given how much less time I have now-a-days to listen to music, I was very happy that the cord was so listenable (and so clearly better than my previous power cords) right from the start.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:20 pm »
Jay,

That is probably due to the fact that Wayne breaks in the cords on his cable cooker before shipping.

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:48 pm »
Just out of curiousity, what's a Belden type 1 composed of?

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2003, 08:06 pm »
The Type 1 power cables were made from Belden 19364 with Marinco 5266BL male AC connectors and WattGate 320 IECs

The Type 2 is made with Belden 82803 with the Marinco Hospital Grade 8215 Male AC connector and the same WattGate 320 IEC.

I feel, and most folks who have compared them, that the NITRO power cable with the Marinco/WattGate does sound quite a bit better than the other two. Change out the connectors for the Furutech Rhodium Plated, and the sonics improve even further.

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2003, 08:25 pm »
Thanks, Wayne...  I'm not familiar with 82803.  I was thinking the Belden type 1 was what I used for some DIY cables a year or so ago... and was trying to get a reference point to what I have vs. a 'real' power cord.  However, I used Belden 83802 w/ crapola Home Depot connectors.  I switched to Marinco and like them a lot better than the Home Depot I had so, I can believe the Furutech's would make an even bigger improvement.  On a couple of pieces of equipment, I used no IEC, just soldered directly and it made a big difference in its sonics.  However, I didn't compare IEC vs. no IEC... because they didn't have IEC's... hence the need for direct connection.. ;)

I was planning on using 83803 for dedicated outlets from my breaker box.  But, money's not there yet... :(  In any case, thanks for the reply... just trying to figure out where I am and how could things could be...

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2003, 08:44 pm »
Carlman,

I may have transposed some numbers :oops: . The Type 2 IS 83803. 12 AWG teflon coated, tinned copper, three conductor, foil and braided shield. Covered with red Teflon. VERY STIFF.

In conparison, I find the Type 2 to be "faster" than the Type 1. In comparison to the Nitro, it is "harsher" and slightly tipped up. Almost "metallic" in sound.

Carlman

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2003, 10:51 pm »
I kind of figured it was the same cable... 8380x... Thanks for clarifying.  I would say that the change did have some of the bad effects your describing, specifically a little 'edgier' overall but, picked up some detail and midrange warmth in my preamp.

I'm sure there's better out there.. specifically the Nitro... I'll get there but, it'll be a while.

Thanks,
Carl