Amplifier

electricbear

Amplifier
« on: 23 Apr 2009, 11:49 pm »
Just throwing this out there guys.

Remember the days of the old McIntosh amp clinics ? You'd take your amp in and they would check it out and give you the power and distortion ratings. Would you have any interest in attending one if I can get one set up?
We ( The Sound Room ) are looking into holding an amp clinic with Jeff at Computronics. Jeff used to run the McIntosh clinics back in the day when he was with Antec Labs. Let me know if you think this would be something worth doing.

richidoo

Re: Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:30 am »
A friend of mine here in Raleigh is authorized Mac tech for 30+ years, he used to do those clinics at his old store up in Hartford back in the day. He showed me some blank unused eval. forms that they used to fill out the report. It's a cool idea to do that again.
Rich

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:52 am »
Hey, that might be fun to see just how bad my 2A3 and 300Bs really sound  :lol:

What might be even more interesting is to see how an amp with different tubes (NOS vs new production) performs.

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:20 am »
I'd love to do that again.  I attended a McIntosh clinic on Long Island at Designatron (?) in Stony Brook.  I really enjoyed testing my Technics integrated on the bench (72 watts at .08%-I still have that test sheet)  Great idea, Tim. 

Rex Everything

• Japanese McIntosh?
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:57 am »
This would be a very fun and interesting event.

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:09 am »
Sounds  WAY fun, Tim!  Would like to know how something rates when I've been having a good time listening to it.
Cool idea.

Love,
DF :wink:

wedweb

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:33 am »
Just Macs and just amps?

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2009, 11:48 am »
Sounds like fun. I'd also like to see some measurements on one of my amps.
Chris H.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:11 pm »
Sounds pretty neat to me, I'd do it!  aa

Bob

daves

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:34 pm »
I'll show up with a McIntosh MA6100 and a Levinson #27. The 6100 has been to three clinics!
This is a great idea.  :thumb:

drummerwill

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:01 pm »
Would this be available for my DIY amp.
  I would love to get specs on any of my amps. Are we talking specs?
  Willie

electricbear

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:40 pm »
You could bring along any amp you like. We are also throwing around the idea of a turntable clinic if the amp one proves to be successful.

drummerwill

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:17 pm »

At the Sound Room, let me know when !
   Have fun !
     Willie

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2009, 09:14 pm »
You could bring along any amp you like. We are also throwing around the idea of a turntable clinic if the amp one proves to be successful.

Let me know when that happens.  I have a nice TT that could use some help from people who know more about it than I do.
I'd also jump at the amp clinic, as I worked for a Mac dealer decades ago and had to horse around a lot of amps back then.

alexstl

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2009, 09:27 pm »
Hi,  yes I bought my Mc 1700 reciever as a floor model about 35 or 40 years ago at a Mc clinic at hi fi fo fum and have been thinking of an overhaul, although it has been a daily user for at least 25 years on and off.  Plus I have a 2505 MC amp in mint condition, that mostly I like to look at.  It is not hooked up as it doesn't sound as well as some of my tube pp tube gear, vintage and current.  I have it on my bureau and just like to look at that beautiful piece of history when I wake up. 

Lets be honest, we know this is an addiction.  My spouse says she actually understands that I dreamed of being able to own that amp for decades and it is OK to enjoy it, not even playing.  I could have much worse problems!  Oh, lately I have been on a watch run, mostly vintage seiko divers.  They don't weigh as much and I actually use one or more every day.  Sorry I haven't been active or vocal for a while, but I read the threads regularly.  Anybody have  a watch they want to sell?  Alex

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:03 am »

Remember the days of the old McIntosh amp clinics ? You'd take your amp in and they would check it out and give you the power and distortion ratings. Would you have any interest in attending one if I can get one set up?
We ( The Sound Room ) are looking into holding an amp clinic with Jeff at Computronics. Jeff used to run the McIntosh clinics back in the day when he was with Antec Labs. Let me know if you think this would be something worth doing.

I was already kidding with Jeff about lugging in one of my MC501s to test the actual output into 8 and 4 ohm loads ...but my back says otherwise  :nono:

Maybe you could rent a crane and flatbed to transport one of those 1.2KWs  :green:

AV Lifestyles in Ft Wayne had one of these beasts in the 2 channel room....what a monster, about the size of a microwave oven!!!
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2009, 01:17 pm by KnowTalent »

G

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2009, 06:40 am »

What! SO I will know just how poorly my hand built tube amplifier really measures?! I think not my fine lad! I prefer to wallow in my ignorance! :lol:

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2009, 11:11 am »
Awww.  The MC 2600 only weighs 59,  Kgms that is, a mere 130 pounds.  -ugh- :weights:

Seriously, if anybody needs help moving some QEU2's anchor's worth of hi-fi, I've got both a 4 wheeled dolly, the type they use to move pianos, or if the amp is boxed or wrapped, a nice 2 wheeled hand truck that you guys are welcome to borrow.  Also I've a Suburban which is rather roomy in the back with the barndoors in the back so you won't hit your head on a station wagon style door when lifting.

Ken
« Last Edit: 2 May 2009, 11:00 am by KenSeger »

daves

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2009, 12:36 am »
Any further word on if and when this may happen?

electricbear

« Reply #19 on: 8 May 2009, 05:17 pm »
I have a large project to get out of the way next week and then I can give it my full attention. I'll keep everyone posted.