Servo sub in rosewood

alanl

Servo sub in rosewood
« on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:20 pm »
This sub is great.  I was initially disappointed in the output but after using the sub for a little over a week I am very happy.  My best guess is that the sub needed to stretch a bit.  Anyways, I did the sub in rosewood with a black granite top in a 17" cube.

I tried to match the tone of my 850's but didn't quite make it.

alanl

Re: Servo sub in rosewood
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:24 pm »
let's try this again

alanl

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:25 pm »
I think that I am ahppier about getting the photos to post than I am about the sub...  time for a couple drinks   :wine:

Jason Brent

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:36 pm »
Outstanding job.  Beautiful work..

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:39 pm »
Beautiful...... :drool:

alanl

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:44 pm »
Thanks.  I also did a sw-12b in ebony that sits with my NEO 2s

Not as detailed (visually or sonically) as the servo.

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm »
Dang!  :evil:
Just when i'm done with my servo sub, and am patting my back about its looks .. someone has to come and post a stunning piece of work!!!

Great Job!  :wink:

alanl

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:03 am »
Dang!  :evil:
Just when i'm done with my servo sub, and am patting my back about its looks .. someone has to come and post a stunning piece of work!!!

Great Job!  :wink:

Thanks and I feel your pain; happens to me every time.  Though I suspect my speaker plans are on delay for awhile.  As I was posting the photos earlier my washer died.  A few calls later (and substantial spousal influencing) and I'm spending $1,400 for a new washer and dryer.  Happy Happy.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:21 am »
That looks pro! Congrats...

Any tips or tricks to help the rest of us?

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:20 am »
Gorgeous! Mine are just plain old boxes but they do sound very nice.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:55 am »
Dang, that looks really good.  :thumb: :thumb:

Stereodude

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2009, 03:45 am »
That looks very similar to the rosewood UFW-12's subs from AV123.

alanl

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:55 pm »
That looks very similar to the rosewood UFW-12's subs from AV123.

Yep.  I loved how the black caps and rosewood look together, so I decided to "borrow" their idea.

That looks pro! Congrats...

Any tips or tricks to help the rest of us?
'

Don't put danish oil on rosewood!  I new better.  Did it anyways.  Two weeks later I finally was able to finish them.
This sub and the ebony sub were both done by applying the veneer to the mdf and then making all my cuts.  It allowed for easier clamping and better corners.  At least until the granite company gave me a granite top with 1/2 radius corners and I had to rip out my corners and insert solid tsewood with a 1/2" round over to match.

Cacophonix

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:38 pm »
How did attach the granite to MDF?

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:49 pm »
This sub is great.  I was initially disappointed in the output but after using the sub for a little over a week I am very happy.  My best guess is that the sub needed to stretch a bit.  Anyways, I did the sub in rosewood with a black granite top in a 17" cube.

I like that marble top. I was thinking a similar idea that people can customize the marble/granite top to match their furnishings and at the same time, a mass loading method.   

Anyway, I'd like to emphasize that these subs do need a bit of break-in time. One week is minimal and a couple of weeks will get them to the correct sound.  Spider/surround are the major components exhibiting memory effect. Memory effect will disturb the correlation between the background noise to the actual music and make them sound more like pure unwanted "noise".  When the spider/surround memory being worked out over time, that "noise" returns to what it actually should sound like and that becomes what we call detail, articulation, and clarity.  Our servo can reduce that type of memory effect by a factor of 3x. That is how we can preserve more detail compared to other nonservo subwoofers.  

alanl

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:00 pm »
How did attach the granite to MDF?

A clear polyurethane adhesive that I spread on to prevent air gaps (which I theorized would cause resonance aa). 

Anyway, I'd like to emphasize that these subs do need a bit of break-in time. One week is minimal and a couple of weeks will get them to the correct sound.  Spider/surround are the major components exhibiting memory effect. Memory effect will disturb the correlation between the background noise to the actual music and make them sound more like pure unwanted "noise".  When the spider/surround memory being worked out over time, that "noise" returns to what it actually should sound like and that becomes what we call detail, articulation, and clarity.  Our servo can reduce that type of memory effect by a factor of 3x. That is how we can preserve more detail compared to other nonservo subwoofers.   

Brian,
Without a doubt, you are right.  I called you the second day after completing the sub and was concerned about the output and thought I needed a bigger (500 watt) amp.  One week later I thought my kids had turned up the volume, changed the settings or min some manner altered the sub.  I'm curious to hear it in another week or two.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2009, 05:11 pm »
Great job! :wink:
BTW, I always use Danish oil with my hand-rubbed technique - works great.

alanl

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2009, 05:44 pm »
Thanks Hank.  I use Danish oil on most everything I do but the rosewood is sooo oily that it created some problems.  I was on the phone with General Finishes off-and-on over 3 days to work through it.  On a side note... the people at General Finishes are top notch and from my contact, enjoy helping through problems (FWIW). 

I have another black granite top that was made 1/8" too small so I may start another sub here soon.  After the washer and dryer arrive anyways.  At least I could build the enclosure and then wait for the driver and amp.

wje

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2009, 08:35 pm »
Very nice work.   :drool: