SongTowers in burgundy over cherry

jsalk

SongTowers in burgundy over cherry
« on: 22 Apr 2009, 10:14 pm »
Just finished these SongTowers.  They were done in cherry and color-matched to a photo.  I thought the finished color looked very rich.

Here they are...

And a close-up...

Just finished these as well.  They are "RT" ribbon tweeter versions of the SongTowers and will be posted in the "Available" board.

Here they are...

And a close-up...

Enjoy!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2009, 04:15 pm by jsalk »

Gord_Toronto

Re: SongTowers in burgandy over cherry
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:53 pm »
Jim

Yes, the Red is a very nice stain color.  With Contemporary Furniture being so hot right now, I suggest that you include this new color in your standard line up.  Most of your standard colors are mellow pastels.  One or two more vibrant colors would really spank up you offerings and offer more options for the WAF

Gord

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:41 am »
That burgundy looks like a Grand Cru :wine:

And the curly walnut is fantastic  :drool: - hard to believe it's a 'standard" finish.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:41 am »
As usual those are brilliant, Jim.  It's like adding a nice piece of furniture to one's room.    8)

SteveY

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2009, 10:56 pm »
Since Jim posted my speakers above I thought I would post a couple pics of them in my home. I ordered a set of the STs and a SC from Jim without ever hearing them, and I can tell you I wasn't disappointed in the least! I had the opportunity to drive (from London Ont.) to pick up my speakers in person, and it was well worth it. My wife, daughter and I made the trip over and met Jim at his home, and we were welcomed with great hospitality by him and his wife. Thanks again Jim for taking the time to show us your selection of speakers and taking us to the shop to see how things work and to finally get my speakers. I was able to see some new speakers Jim has in the making, which looked awesome, and I can't wait to see some pics of the finished product. Anyways here are a couple of pics of my new speakers in my home. They are not as bright as the pictures make them look.

mchuckp

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2009, 12:14 am »
Are the burgandy over cherry considered a "custom" veneer?

Jim, I spoke with you earlier today about potentially wanting something in the "red" category.  It's possible this may foot the bill!  It is hard to tell how bright they actually are.  I don't want something TOO bright but not too dull but still a red tone.  Is the standard cherry fairly dull?  Suggestions for something like these but maybe a tad light bright?

Nice speakers SteveY!

laserboi

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:01 am »
Stevey,

For the love of all that is Holy, let those speakers breathe brother.  They look like they are suffocating being packed in there between all those components.   aa

Seriously though they look beautiful and they will benefit greatly by being brought out a little in the room.  Perhaps at the very least when you listen to music.

Nice speakers  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:31 am »

No, it is not.  It is simply a custom color over cherry.  Normally a custom color like this is $200, but it would not be considered a "custom" build in that it is a standard cherry veneer.

Jim, I spoke with you earlier today about potentially wanting something in the "red" category.  It's possible this may foot the bill!  It is hard to tell how bright they actually are.  I don't want something TOO bright but not too dull but still a red tone.  Is the standard cherry fairly dull?  Suggestions for something like these but maybe a tad light bright?

As Steve indicated, it is very difficult to take pictures in that they do look brighter than they really are.  The color on these was deep rose/red with blue added.  They look very rich.

Natural cherry is a caramel color that tends to redden somewhat with age. 

If you wanted a brighter red, you would simply spray less dye.  But you have to spray enough so that they do not look pink.

I hope I understood the question.

By the way, I liked this color so much, today we dyed the pair of HT4's (or whatever they will eventually be called) that we will showcase at AKFest here next week-end.

- Jim

mchuckp

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:47 am »

No, it is not.  It is simply a custom color over cherry.  Normally a custom color like this is $200, but it would not be considered a "custom" build in that it is a standard cherry veneer.

As Steve indicated, it is very difficult to take pictures in that they do look brighter than they really are.  The color on these was deep rose/red with blue added.  They look very rich.

If you wanted a brighter red, you would simply spray less dye.  But you have to spray enough so that they do not look pink.

By the way, I liked this color so much, today we dyed the pair of HT4's (or whatever they will eventually be called) that we will showcase at AKFest here next week-end.

- Jim

Awesome!  So I can see what this finish looks like first hand this weekend.   :banana piano:  Jim, hopefully we can chat over the weekend more about finishes as I contemplate your beauties.  Talk to you soon. -Mike

rahimlee54

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:58 am »

- Jim

Any idea when you are going to post pictures of the HT4?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm »
Jim,
 I've said it many times before and I'll say it again.......beautiful speakers. I really like the Walnut pair as well as the ribbon tweeter (I prefer ribbons)
 Some day I will have to get a pair of your speakers! I'm thinking HT3 or HT4 :drool:

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2009, 12:47 pm »

Any idea when you are going to post pictures of the HT4?

We have to finish the first production pair first.  I would guess that we would have pictures tomorrow evening.

- Jim

haw1144

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:51 pm »

I've been looking for a speaker shelf to hold my songcenter... where did you get that at? :)

Also, I've been wondering if they happen to make a speaker mount that attaches to the back of your flat panel (where you would mount it to the wall... but instead you mount a speaker shelf there)?

(Sorry to go slightly offtopic!)

SteveY

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2009, 10:12 pm »
Stevey,

For the love of all that is Holy, let those speakers breathe brother.  They look like they are suffocating being packed in there between all those components.   aa

Seriously though they look beautiful and they will benefit greatly by being brought out a little in the room.  Perhaps at the very least when you listen to music.

Nice speakers  :thumb:

laserboi; unfortunately I don't have a lot of room in my living room where I have the speakers now, but I will when I get my dedicated theater room finished. aa

haw1144; that speaker shelf is actually a TV mounting bracket I picked up at Canadian Tire, and I had my big Paradigm Studio CC-570 on it with no problems. It works perfectly and even has adjustments to tilt it down, which I did as far as it would go. The song center is a lot smaller that my other center.

rydenfan

Re: SongTowers in burgundy over cherry
« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2009, 10:41 pm »
Even pulling them out a few inches so they are not on the same plane as your gear and TV would give you a nice increase in imaging and depth of soundstage.

SteveY

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:06 am »
I will try that rydenfan.

bryede

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2009, 02:22 am »
This is similar to the color I'm thinking about for a pair of SongTowers. I have a pair of PSB Imagine T's and I like their color. In every photo of the Imagines they look red, but they look very dark in person. I guess that's what's happening in these pictures too.

What were these color-matched to?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 10:24 pm by bryede »