Prestigio

cadobhuk

Re: Prestigio
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2009, 05:51 am »
High quality drivers, well designed crossover and cabinet equals to good to excellent sounding speakers, unfortunately the price is high too.

Possibly a challenge would be using low to mid-priced drivers, equally well designed crossover and cabinet  equal a more competitive priced speakers that will sound good too.

I am sure you(Rick) have done both.
The price is actualy ridiculously low for this level of quality and parts cost. Would cost you 5x or more to get anything comparable from big brands and even other good ID brands don't have anything of this sort at this price.

obiwan11

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2009, 11:01 pm »
So Rick, do you prefer Prestigio or Mejor? Which would you go for when using a DEQX on either (and pairing both with stereo subs)?

2bigears

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:19 am »
 :D these look very good ,with two fast subs,i bet you would be in the music.what does the AM core take the price to ????  :D

Brucemck

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2009, 02:19 pm »
So Rick, do you prefer Prestigio or Mejor? Which would you go for when using a DEQX on either (and pairing both with stereo subs)?

Inquiring minds want to know ... I'd add the Visionario to the comparison mix as well.  :D  Your reflection on the three would be interesting.

You have so many new models, perhaps some thread/discussion that "ranks" or segments the offerings, so that it's easier to understand the relative merits with individual offerings in the lineup.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:26 pm »
:D these look very good ,with two fast subs,i bet you would be in the music.what does the AM core take the price to ????  :D

I'm placing an order for the AM version and will have a price for you later today.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:00 pm »

I've been running the Mejor with the DEQX and subs so I can't really say at this point. Once I set up the Prestigio with a sub I'll have a better idea.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:56 pm »

Inquiring minds want to know ... I'd add the Visionario to the comparison mix as well.  :D  Your reflection on the three would be interesting.

You have so many new models, perhaps some thread/discussion that "ranks" or segments the offerings, so that it's easier to understand the relative merits with individual offerings in the lineup.

Well things are about to get more complex and the speaker family is growing.  :D

I'm finishing a floorstander with dual 10's and a MTM on top consisting of Accuton 5" drivers and a RAAL 70-20XR-AM. After that is a MTM (same RAAL tweeter, Scan-Speak Illuminator 5.25") with a dual 10" powered subwoofer.

obiwan11

« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:24 pm »
Oh well, we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:21 pm »
Rick,

I'll be curious to see how you like the smaller Illuminator woofer.

I saw the spec sheet for the 4 1/2" Illuminator midrange and it started me wondering how that midrange would do in a conventional WMT speaker with something like the SB Acoustics 10" woofer and Fountek tweeter. I have an older Mirage Speaker (model 2.5 before they went bipolar), that uses a 10"woofer (foam rotted, replaced it with the Seas Dynaco A-25 woofer), but the main thing about that speaker was that Mirage said they spent a lot of time getting the midrange driver right (it's a coated paper, shallow cone midrange). The tweeter is really cheap, and the woofer was no great deal either, but the speaker still sounds really good. Maybe not as sexy as the narrow baffle MTM's, but a modern version of my old Mirage, might be a very good speaker.

Now if I win the lottery the MTM you describe with the 5.25" Illuminators, RAAL, and perhaps a dual 7" Illuminator Bass section might be just the ticket.  :D

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:44 pm »
 :D no price yet ????  :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:51 pm »
:D no price yet ????  :D

Which speaker?

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:56 pm »
 :D  prestigio with the AM cores ???? :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:09 pm »
:D  prestigio with the AM cores ???? :D

Adds $225/pr. to the cost.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:22 pm »
Rick,

I'll be curious to see how you like the smaller Illuminator woofer.

I saw the spec sheet for the 4 1/2" Illuminator midrange and it started me wondering how that midrange would do in a conventional WMT speaker with something like the SB Acoustics 10" woofer and Fountek tweeter. I have an older Mirage Speaker (model 2.5 before they went bipolar), that uses a 10"woofer (foam rotted, replaced it with the Seas Dynaco A-25 woofer), but the main thing about that speaker was that Mirage said they spent a lot of time getting the midrange driver right (it's a coated paper, shallow cone midrange). The tweeter is really cheap, and the woofer was no great deal either, but the speaker still sounds really good. Maybe not as sexy as the narrow baffle MTM's, but a modern version of my old Mirage, might be a very good speaker.

Now if I win the lottery the MTM you describe with the 5.25" Illuminators, RAAL, and perhaps a dual 7" Illuminator Bass section might be just the ticket.  :D

The 3-way would make a nice combination.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:41 pm »
Oh well, we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

You have a DEQX, right? What speakers do you have?

obiwan11

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2009, 11:07 pm »
Yep, I have a DEQX. Right now I'm using Dynaudio Contour S5.4's. I've disconnected the crossover and have tri-amped them with DEQX. Can't get them sounding brilliant, but last night I fluked a calibration that didn't sound too bad. But we'll see if I still feel that way after living with it over the weekend. It was after hearing a friend's set up with DEQX, Raal, PHL mid bass drivers, Whise Subwoofers and valve amps, that made me realise that mine is sadly lacking in speed, dynamics, cleanness and transparency.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2009, 03:12 am »
The ported version is -3db @43hz and -10db @35hz. This is the best that we've ever measured in a driver of comparable size and better than some 7" woofers.  :thumb:

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #37 on: 26 May 2009, 08:43 pm »
I wish I could get the VP of finances to go for the Prestigio, because it really does seem like it would be a teriffic speaker. Unfortunatly it's going to be hard for me to justify spending that much on our secondary system. However I did read in another forum where you said that you were going to be working on using the SB Acoustics drivers in the same configuration. If that is true, the resulting speaker would probably be within the range of possibility.

Although financially, I find the combination of SB Acoustics with RAAL to be appealing, I am wondering if there really is value in spending so much more on the tweeter than on the other drivers in the system. Isn't using the RAAL a case of overkill if the midrange isn't as resolving as the treble?

As always the proof is in the listening. I'm sure many of us will be interested in what the combination sounds like.

Cheers,
Chuck

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2009, 12:10 am »
I wish I could get the VP of finances to go for the Prestigio, because it really does seem like it would be a teriffic speaker. Unfortunatly it's going to be hard for me to justify spending that much on our secondary system. However I did read in another forum where you said that you were going to be working on using the SB Acoustics drivers in the same configuration. If that is true, the resulting speaker would probably be within the range of possibility.

Although financially, I find the combination of SB Acoustics with RAAL to be appealing, I am wondering if there really is value in spending so much more on the tweeter than on the other drivers in the system. Isn't using the RAAL a case of overkill if the midrange isn't as resolving as the treble?

As always the proof is in the listening. I'm sure many of us will be interested in what the combination sounds like.

Cheers,
Chuck

I have the drivers here for the SB version and will be starting very soon on the crossover. I understand your reasoning; however, the SB drivers would be much more expensive if they were made in Europe like the Seas Excel and Scan-Speak drivers. The idea is to provide a high percentage of a more exotic driver's performance for a very modest cost.

I'll report back after doing some listening. The build quality is excellent for the SB drivers and with the former Scan-Speak engineers designing them you cannot go wrong.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2009, 03:31 pm »
Shipping today to California a version of the Prestigio. We created a custom design to go with the owner's AuraSound woofers.  :thumb: