IA7 + panegyrics + high freq. noise + RF interference

davors

I had a IA7 last week for testing and I have to admit I was IMPRESSED with the performance. The stereo imaging, depth, dynamics, frequency spectrum / response... Can't remember another piece of equipment, both consumer or pro / studio, in any price range that impressed me that much during and after the audition. When I returned the amp to the shop I still remembered the zesty feeling listening to it with a smile on my face (that's probably one of the corniest things I wrote about a piece of hi-fi equipment, but it really was like that). Anyway, most of you here probably know that already...

The reasons why I didn't buy the amp immediately were:
- the irritating high freq. sweeping noise when the amp was powering up
- tuner RF signal completely jammed
- a high pitch, low level sound (around 10kHz) would appear when I pushed the volume up to 3/4 and would remain present until the power down of the device

Now, it could be that there was a problem with the device I got for auditioning, and it was not an upgraded V2 version of IA7 but an older one. Are these issues known and / or resolved in the upgraded version of the amp? Unfortunately they don't have a V2 available at the local dealers.

... With all that, I still got goose-bumps when I heard stuff I had heard so many times before, but this time through an IA7 (here I go again...  :D ).

jwo

Re: IA7 + panegyrics + high freq. noise + RF interference
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2009, 06:00 am »
You have to give the amp the source in-signal BEFORE you turn on the amp. You can read it in the manual somewhere...

davors

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2009, 10:27 am »
Jwo, thnx for the response...

I didn't get a manual in the box, but the DAC + cd player were always connected, turned on and playing, so there was a signal going into the amp.

... The tuner was always connected too, and it took me good 10min connecting / reconnecting / scratching my head to notice that when the IA7 was turned on the RF signal strength indicator started jumping up and down. I'll be getting a quote for the V2, just wanted to check if there are any similar experiences around.

Thanks once more for the reply. More input is always welcome.

cab

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:33 pm »
EMI issues and Nuforce are not strangers....

Audio-den

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:52 pm »
Yes the V2 take care of all the RF and noise in the unit great amp I have sold many V2 any no issues Enjoy

davors

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2009, 06:20 pm »
Thanks Audio-den, happy to hear your experience with V2s. I was hoping to get such answers because, as I said, I really enjoyed the little IA7.

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2009, 09:19 pm »
Thanks Audio-den, happy to hear your experience with V2s. I was hoping to get such answers because, as I said, I really enjoyed the little IA7.

Yea, I heard a V2-based system that gave no trouble at all to a tuner in the same rack...hopefully you can work out a good deal!

davors

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2009, 03:04 pm »
Thanks to all, if I understand well all the RF + noise problems are solved in the V2.

Should I consider the P8 + Stereo 8.5 V2, or should I stick to IA7 V2? Power is, I think, not an issue here - the amp will be playing to Sonus Faber Grand Pianos (imp. 6 Ohm, sens. 90dB), which do not need a "power plant".

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:35 pm »
Go with IA-7V2.
You want to get Ref 8.5V2 if you think of upgrading to Ref 9V2 or Ref 9V2SE in the future.
We also have a trade-in program for P-8/P-8S to P-9.

BTW, V2 performance is one generation better so if you're so impressed with V1, wait till you hear the V2.

Jason