9BSSt upgrade

redsierra

9BSSt upgrade
« on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:01 pm »
Hello James (or anyone else that would like to chime in).

As you can see by my profile I am a supporter of both you and Mr. Vandersteen.  My Vandersteen loyalty goes WAYYYY back.  I an getting rid of my 3A Sigs and the pair of 2WQ subs for a pair of Quatros that are on order.  I don't know if you are familiar with his speakers or not but they are not terrible efficient.  In my opinion are very transparent, sometimes a little more on the warm side.  I know that room has a lot to do with the sound, but I have found MY sound to be a little on the harsh, bright side.  I hate to say it but many people that I have spoken to quickly say that Bryston makes great equipment but they tend to be bright.  I really don't want to leave your world, so I am wondering if by moving up to the 6B SST (from the 9B SST) what you would think the effect would be (remember the Vandersteens are inefficient - 87 db)?  I like to listen to my music fairly loud.

If I were to change up to the 6B SST, do you think that I lose much by going to a lesser amp for the 2 surround channels?  The surround is only used for movies.  If so what Bryston would you recommend.  I may just get a used one to save some bucks, but buy a new 6B SST.

Thanks,

Dwight

werd

Re: 9BSSt upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:16 pm »

As you can see by my profile I am a supporter of both you and Mr. Vandersteen.  My Vandersteen loyalty goes WAYYYY back.  I an getting rid of my 3A Sigs and the pair of 2WQ subs for a pair of Quatros that are on order.  I don't know if you are familiar with his speakers or not but they are not terrible efficient.  In my opinion are very transparent, sometimes a little more on the warm side.  I know that room has a lot to do with the sound, but I have found MY sound to be a little on the harsh, bright side.  I hate to say it but many people that I have spoken to quickly say that Bryston makes great equipment but they tend to be bright.  I really don't want to leave your world, so I am wondering if by moving up to the 6B SST (from the 9B SST) what you would think the effect would be (remember the Vandersteens are inefficient - 87 db)?  I like to listen to my music fairly loud.

If I were to change up to the 6B SST, do you think that I lose much by going to a lesser amp for the 2 surround channels?  The surround is only used for movies.  If so what Bryston would you recommend.  I may just get a used one to save some bucks, but buy a new 6B SST.

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Red

Not to answer for James but i can say from experience that the new sst/2 series amps are no longer bright sounding. I can say that all the critiquing around this business of Bryston being too bright has pretty much been eliminated. I know what you are hearing as i had a 4bsst and just recently bought a 4bsst/2. The first thing i noticed was absence of glare that i associated with the sst series. I own a pair of speakers that use a 2in ribbon tweater placed in room with no rug just laminate flooring. I can also say its pretty much gone (the bright sound  ) you are refering to. Those tweaters can really sound over extended with transistor gear. Nothing of this is present with my sst/2 amp, just so long as the recording isnt to hashed out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:26 pm »
THE ONLY THING 'BRIGHT' ABOUT BRYSTON AMPLIFIERS ARE THE PEOPLE WHO BUY THEM!

james

redsierra

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:50 pm »
 aa

Come on James you can do better than that.  Help me out here.  What type of impact/benifit would I see be either replacing my 9B SST with the new model or better yet going up to the 6B SST?  Have a look at my original post as well.  Your assistance is always appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:53 pm »
aa

Come on James you can do better than that.  Help me out here.  What type of impact/benifit would I see be either replacing my 9B SST with the new model or better yet going up to the 6B SST?  Have a look at my original post as well.  Your assistance is always appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dwight

Gee's and I thought I was being so insightful.

james

redsierra

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:54 pm »

Hi Red

Not to answer for James but i can say from experience that the new sst/2 series amps are no longer bright sounding. I can say that all the critiquing around this business of Bryston being too bright has pretty much been eliminated. I know what you are hearing as i had a 4bsst and just recently bought a 4bsst/2. The first thing i noticed was absence of glare that i associated with the sst series. I own a pair of speakers that use a 2in ribbon tweater placed in room with no rug just laminate flooring. I can also say its pretty much gone (the bright sound  ) you are refering to. Those tweaters can really sound over extended with transistor gear. Nothing of this is present with my sst/2 amp, just so long as the recording isnt to hashed out.

So what provoked you to buy the same amp but in the newest series...too much money kicking around?  :D

I would think that there should be a fairly dramatic difference going from a 120 WPC amp to a 300 WPC?

What do you know to be the differences between the SST and the SST2s?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:59 pm »

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

The more powerful 6B SST SQ amplifier will certainly sound more 'relaxed' than the older SST amps and with more power (6B over 9B) even better. You may want to think about a big stereo amp on the left/right speakers for stereo listening and use a multi-channel amp for the center and surrounds?

james

redsierra

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:59 pm »
aa

Sincerely,

Dwight

Gee's and I thought I was being so insightful.

james

Mr. Tanner....you are pretty comical today...at least you got out of bed on the right side!  Seriously, what (and how dramatic) would the improvements be if I were to upgrade from my 9B SST to a 6B SST?  What has been acheived when you brought out the new model (SST2)?  Do you think that I could get away with a lesser amp for the surround channels (just 5.1)? 

Thanks,

Dwight

redsierra

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:10 pm »

Hi Dwight,

The more powerful 6B SST SQ amplifier will certainly sound more 'relaxed' than the older SST amps and with more power (6B over 9B) even better. You may want to think about a big stereo amp on the left/right speakers for stereo listening and use a multi-channel amp for the center and surrounds?

james

The reason that I was thinking about the 6BSST for the front 3 is that as you can see I have the amp sitting under my center channel.  I have your Bryston XLRs running from my Sp2 where my other equipment is located.  The goal was to keep the speaker wires (also Bryston) as short as possible.  The 3 channel amp really is ideal for my application (logistically). 

So James do you think that the improvement in going from my 9B SST to a 6B SST2 would be VERY dramatic?

I suppose that it would be over kill for the center channel though?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:14 pm »
Hi Dwight,

Ok I see your point.

james

redsierra

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:31 pm »
Hi Dwight,

Ok I see your point.

james

So James do you think that the improvement in going from my 9B SST to a 6B SST2 would be VERY dramatic?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:51 pm »
Hi Dwight,

Ok I see your point.

james

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I always have a problem in answering these kinds of questions because 'dramatic' to one person sometimes is 'so-what' to another. I guess given the quality of your system I feel reasonably certain that you would have a 'significant' increase in performance with the 6B SST SQ over the 9B SST.

james

werd

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm »

Hi Red

So what provoked you to buy the same amp but in the newest series...too much money kicking around?  :D

I would think that there should be a fairly dramatic difference going from a 120 WPC amp to a 300 WPC?

What do you know to be the differences between the SST and the SST2s?

Thanks,

Dwight
Hey red

I sold my 4bsst early to jump on the higher used prices we are still getting for the sst series (i believe). My 4bsst was only a year old and i wanted to get top dollar used for it, and i did. I was able to get a very nice price on the new 4bsq, so the difference  i had to put in wasnt very much. My old 4bsst was rated at 300 watts and i bought a new 4b rated at the same 300 watts per channel. I did how ever swap in my blue circle amp which was 120 watt while i waited out the new 4b arrival. The differences are significant between the two series amps. The most i attribute to was your complaint being too bright. I was able to compensate with attention paid around cabling and ac conditiong with the old 4bsst. That helped lots but it still kept a tinge of glare. I became fully sactisified with my soundstage when i swapped in the new 4bsq.
I found significant improvement in the way of microdynamics and smoother highs. All more analogue sounding to me and which I strive for.

redsierra

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm »
Hi Dwight,

Ok I see your point.

james

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I always have a problem in answering these kinds of questions because 'dramatic' to one person sometimes is 'so-what' to another. I guess given the quality of your system I feel reasonably certain that you would have a 'significant' increase in performance with the 6B SST SQ over the 9B SST.

james

Fair enough James.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Dwight

redsierra

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:59 pm »

Hey red

I sold my 4bsst early to jump on the higher used prices we are still getting for the sst series (i believe). My 4bsst was only a year old and i wanted to get top dollar used for it, and i did. I was able to get a very nice price on the new 4bsq, so the difference  i had to put in wasnt very much. My old 4bsst was rated at 300 watts and i bought a new 4b rated at the same 300 watts per channel. I did how ever swap in my blue circle amp which was 120 watt while i waited out the new 4b arrival. The differences are significant between the two series amps. The most i attribute to was your complaint being too bright. I was able to compensate with attention paid around cabling and ac conditiong with the old 4bsst. That helped lots but it still kept a tinge of glare. I became fully sactisified with my soundstage when i swapped in the new 4bsq.
I found significant improvement in the way of microdynamics and smoother highs. All more analogue sounding to me and which I strive for.

OK, I think that I might be sold on the idea.

Thanks,

Dwight

servingko

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2009, 11:07 pm »
I can't weigh in on the difference between a 9B-SST and a 6B-SST squared, but I recently moved from a 9B-SST to (5) PP300's.  I may be incorrect in my understanding, but unless you are using the balanced input on the 6B squared, you will not be getting the "full" effect of the squared series.  Moreover, I am not certain if the 6B gets the "full Monty" squared treatment since it and the PP300 are based on essentially the same circuit topology and from what I understand that design does not lend itself to the full complement of features that the other amplifiers enjoy with the squared update - particularly the 7B, 14B, and 28B. 

I noticed most of the difference in effortless dynamics and a soundstage that was a little more forward with the PP300's as opposed to the 9B-SST.  I am running the Gallo Reference 3.1s, which are much less sensitive than I believe Mr Gallo claims, and was clipping the 9B's channels with pretty moderate sound pressure levels which brought about the desire for the upgrade.   I preferred the sound of the PP300's to the 4B-SST - slightly more width and depth - but made my purchase just before the squared series began shipping.  I have not yet taken the time to bring a squared version home to audition it in MY room but will shortly - perhaps when my tax refund check arrives.  aa   

In terms of surround power requirements I don't agree with the all the "experts" that you need to have the same power.  Theoretically you could have a soundtrack that is mixed that has that much power requirement for the surround channels but it has been my experience that with 98%, or more, mixes required much less, particularly if you aren't running full range.

While I was waiting for the rear pair of PP300's to arrive, I inserted my back up 2B-LP for the surround channels and didn't once have them go into clipping during any movie I ran.  No doubt someone will come up with a short list of movies that place great demands on the surround channels for one or two effects, but unless cost isn't a consideration, you can get by with much less IMHO.   Having said that, most agree that the most coherent soundfield is created with 5 (or more) identical speakers being powered by 5 (or more) identical channels of amplification.

The center channel is another matter and I wouldn't skimp here.  Ultimately I will end up with a 14B-SST sq or a pair of 7B SST sq for the stereo channels and run a pair of PP300's on the center with one for the bass driver with the surrounds having a PP300 each.

werd

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2009, 11:59 pm »
I can't weigh in on the difference between a 9B-SST and a 6B-SST squared, but I recently moved from a 9B-SST to (5) PP300's.  I may be incorrect in my understanding, but unless you are using the balanced input on the 6B squared, you will not be getting the "full" effect of the squared series.  Moreover, I am not certain if the 6B gets the "full Monty" squared treatment since it and the PP300 are based on essentially the same circuit topology and from what I understand that design does not lend itself to the full complement of features that the other amplifiers enjoy with the squared update - particularly the 7B, 14B, and 28B. 

I noticed most of the difference in effortless dynamics and a soundstage that was a little more forward with the PP300's as opposed to the 9B-SST.  I am running the Gallo Reference 3.1s, which are much less sensitive than I believe Mr Gallo claims, and was clipping the 9B's channels with pretty moderate sound pressure levels which brought about the desire for the upgrade.   I preferred the sound of the PP300's to the 4B-SST - slightly more width and depth - but made my purchase just before the squared series began shipping.  I have not yet taken the time to bring a squared version home to audition it in MY room but will shortly - perhaps when my tax refund check arrives.  aa   

In terms of surround power requirements I don't agree with the all the "experts" that you need to have the same power.  Theoretically you could have a soundtrack that is mixed that has that much power requirement for the surround channels but it has been my experience that with 98%, or more, mixes required much less, particularly if you aren't running full range.

While I was waiting for the rear pair of PP300's to arrive, I inserted my back up 2B-LP for the surround channels and didn't once have them go into clipping during any movie I ran.  No doubt someone will come up with a short list of movies that place great demands on the surround channels for one or two effects, but unless cost isn't a consideration, you can get by with much less IMHO.   Having said that, most agree that the most coherent soundfield is created with 5 (or more) identical speakers being powered by 5 (or more) identical channels of amplification.

The center channel is another matter and I wouldn't skimp here.  Ultimately I will end up with a 14B-SST sq or a pair of 7B SST sq for the stereo channels and run a pair of PP300's on the center with one for the bass driver with the surrounds having a PP300 each.

I agree with servingko about the improvements to the balance input. I find the the bal. to be better compared to the rca. More relaxed input imo. I havent heard any of the other sst/2 amps but i can say that the differences are on 4b model are significant(having ownd them back to back, sst and sst/sq.). So i am sure there is improvement on the 6B also. I understand the biggest changes in circuitry were in the 7B/14B models though.

redsierra

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:22 am »

I agree with servingko about the improvements to the balance input. I find the the bal. to be better compared to the rca. More relaxed input imo. I havent heard any of the other sst/2 amps but i can say that the differences are on 4b model are significant(having ownd them back to back, sst and sst/sq.). So i am sure there is improvement on the 6B also. I understand the biggest changes in circuitry were in the 7B/14B models though.

Guys thanks for the responses.

First off I am using balanced connections between my Sp2 and my amp.  I agree with you that you dont need the same power on all channels.  I will be running my Vandy Quatros and my VCC5 on "full" and my VSM1s on "small" cut off at 80 hz.  I am thinking that if I just use a 3B SST or even an ST it will be ample.  I sure wish that I could personally audition the difference between a 6B SST and a 6B SST Squared.  But Werd, you are saying that there is a good and very noticable difference between them, so I too would imagine that the same would apply with the 6B especially using the balanced inputs.  Serving KO I think that your observation of "effortless dynamics" with the PP300 VS the 9B SST is a large part of what I am missing.  You are just making me question whether or not the 6B SST Squared is worth it or if I should just seek out a used 6B SST! 

Servingko why did you go the route of the PP300s as opposed to a 6B SST?

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:14 pm »

james

James,

Speakers can sound bright.
State of the art amplifiers all "sound" the same.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:55 pm »

james

James,

Speakers can sound bright.
State of the art amplifiers all "sound" the same.  :thumb:

You see there is too much protection you have afforded yourself in that statement. Of course if you compare a 300 watt transistor (state of the art) amp to another 300 watt (state of the art) transistor amp there will be more similiarities than not. After hours of listening the diffs will appear. They may
only slight but diffs none the less. However u have to agree that a (state of the art)  25 watt class A tube isnt going to sound the same as a 300 watt (state of the art) transistor amp. I am sure you will agree to that.