RM-10 mk2 schematic wanted

JeffreyB

RM-10 mk2 schematic wanted
« on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:11 pm »
I love my RM-10 mk2 but would like to experiment with upgrading the coupling caps. To do so, I am looking for a schematic for the amp to share with a technician who will help me choose values and brands. I have the manual but no schematic. Does anyone have a schematic for this amp they can share with me?

Or has anyone changed out the coupling caps or any other parts on this amp?

Thanks.

Jeffrey

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: RM-10 mk2 schematic wanted
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:21 am »
Jeffrey,

The coupling caps are 0.1 uF, 400-630 volt. Use whatever flavor you like.

A word of caution to all. Do not change the capacitance value of coupling caps in amplifiers as this can make the amp unstable at low frequencies. Those of us who understand these things have set our time constants to make the amp most stable. A bigger cap or smaller one can mess things up.

doak

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:11 am »
Jeffrey,

The coupling caps are 0.1 uF, 400-630 volt. Use whatever flavor you like.

A word of caution to all. Do not change the capacitance value of coupling caps in amplifiers as this can make the amp unstable at low frequencies. Those of us who understand these things have set our time constants to make the amp most stable. A bigger cap or smaller one can mess things up.

There are 4 of these - one on each output tube, correct?

Doak

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2009, 12:51 pm »
Yes, one for each output tube. They are very visible and easy to change. There's a fair amount of room there to put in something physically bigger. Anyone who has tried changing caps on a PC board will appreciate that this amp is handwired and changing the cap is easy. I have seen so many PC board amps where physically bigger caps (most of the premium ones are) hang out all over the place. Besides being unsightly they can break off in shipping or cause oscillations due to the "antenna effect" of their size.

doak

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2009, 01:44 pm »
Yes, one for each output tube. They are very visible and easy to change. There's a fair amount of room there to put in something physically bigger. Anyone who has tried changing caps on a PC board will appreciate that this amp is handwired and changing the cap is easy. I have seen so many PC board amps where physically bigger caps (most of the premium ones are) hang out all over the place. Besides being unsightly they can break off in shipping or cause oscillations due to the "antenna effect" of their size.

Thanks Roger.

I changed mine out yesterday. The job took less than 20 min. due to the open layout and EZ access.  :thumb:
Used Mundorf Silver/Oil caps.  Haven't listened much yet though.   

Original coupling caps noted by arrows (they are "Chiclet" shaped).

« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 01:45 am by doak »

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2009, 06:16 am »
Well constructed amp, if i say so myself. Yes those are the caps. I will be delighted to hear you results, especially if there is no significant difference.

What's interesting to consider is that a crossover cap in a speaker has several amps flowing through it and large voltages across it which it is blocking from the driver. In this case the dielectric is getting run up and down all over the place. In addition, series resistance can be significant. Both of these have large sonic consequences and replacing electrolytics with mylar or polypropylene makes good sense.

In contrast, grid coupling caps have no signal across them (they are a short for the audio range and beyond). They also have virtually no audio current through them (micro amps vs amps in a speaker). All they are doing is blocking DC. Now I would like someone to explain to me why we care who made, from what exotic materials, a capacitor that is doing close to nothing as far as the signal is concerned.

I customer of mine spent $600 (just for the parts) replacing the caps in his RM-1. He was not sure he could hear a difference. Besides that, they didn't fit.

6BQ5

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2009, 06:17 am »
Now I would like someone to explain to me why we care who made, from what exotic materials, a capacitor that is doing close to nothing as far as the signal is concerned.

Exotic caps sound better?
http://www.tempoelectric.com/caps.htm

Or, posts like this claiming that changing coupling caps made a huge improvement
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/300B.htm

Audiophiles are insecure.  :duh:

doak

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2009, 02:04 am »
Now I would like someone to explain to me why we care who made, from what exotic materials, a capacitor that is doing close to nothing as far as the signal is concerned.

Exotic caps sound better?
http://www.tempoelectric.com/caps.htm

Or, posts like this claiming that changing coupling caps made a huge improvement
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/300B.htm

Audiophiles are insecure.  :duh:

Roger is talking specifically about his design and the effect of changing the grid caps in an RM-10.
Point well made Roger.

It's impossible to A/B my cap change. At this point I doubt that it made a significant change/improvement in sound but at least I didn't hurt anything.   8) 
 Oh well....   :duh: