Stratos - buzzing hum from speakers....

yuvster

Stratos - buzzing hum from speakers....
« on: 12 Apr 2009, 09:59 am »
Hi

I have a pair of Usher BE-718 power by an Odyssey Stratos 150W power amp.  Recently there was a noticeable buzz / hum coming from the speakers when you are about 2 - 3 feet away.  Been using the system for a while and this is first time I have heard this.  Tried disconnecting the input cables to the Power Amp and also switched off all other mains and the hum was still present (both channels thought a little louder in the left).  I have ruled out problems with powercord / conditioning (tried 2 different powercords). 

Can someone help explain what this my be?  Is it covered under the Stratos warranty?

Thank you

pfradale

Re: Stratos - buzzing hum from speakers....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:30 am »
Have it on mine as well. Even when the only source (Sony SCD-1) and Tempest pre-amp are disconnected, same as you. Klaus reckons it is a ground loop and/or noise coming from the power line. I'm in an older Japanese house so it is possible--the wiring here is dodgy. I also have very sensitive speakers (>103dB/W/m) which does not help.

zomone

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:40 pm »
I had a similar issue - rewired my entire system ensuring all power cords were separated from other cables (especially speaker cables) and tried not to cross any cables if possible.  After doing so I have zero hum.  speakers are dead quiet even when my ear is against them.  Worth a try if you haven't already attempted.

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2009, 01:14 am »
I had a Stratos, a Tempest and a Candela. I had a buzz problem with all of them. Actually,
the Tempest (as a piece) had a history of problems which Klaus agreed was a transformer issue.

After I got a Candela and a revised, updated Stratos...I still had a hum or buzz issue that WAS coming from the components. I thoroughly ruled out any groundloop problem through rewiring and a MOVE to a different house.

I had to sell all components and move on to another manufacturer..since then no problem. Not bad mouthing Odyssey or Klaus, since he tried to work with me over many, many months. We just did not get these components to work well.

Will

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:39 pm »
I had a buzz coming from the Tempest transformer...not too loud, but audible when the house was dead quiet.

Turns out it was my dirty AC, because the problem disappeared when I plugged the Tempest into a HumBuster.

-Will

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:58 pm »
Check to see if your IC are going straight into input sockets. I know it seems strange but I've had an IC get pushed so as have the plug in a sort of 'bind' into the socket creating a loud buzz. Groneburg TS Premium IC into Stratos Mono.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2009, 03:56 am »
Yuvster,

Call me,  317 299 5578. 
While 6-10 inches is probably normal in most systems,  3 feet is not tolerable.
However,  when you're saying that this is a new development  after using the amp and all other components for a while,  it is somewhat of a give-away that there is an environmental thing going on.  BUT,  as always,  you can send me the amp and we'll thoroughly check it out free of charge,  if you want.

Late,

Klaus

yuvster

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2009, 02:06 pm »
Klaus

Would love to send the amp over to you but I am based in Singapore! 

I have been trying various things to figure out what the problems may be - disconnected all other electricals, cable tv cables, switched the speakers around to make sure the problem is not with the speaker, tried 2 powercords and 2 different speaker cables, tried a different room in the house. 

All I can conclude is that the buzz is louder in the left channel than the right and I am unable to find a cure for it.  Any ideas?  Could it be the capacitors?  Any guidance will be useful. 

Many thanks

Yuvster

Musky_Don

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:41 am »
Check to see if your cable/satellite is properly grounded.  I rehabbed a house a while back and the first tenants are a couple who are into music and have started their own recording company.  After they moved in they complained of persistent hum in their equipment.  I checked out the connections and could not find a problem.  I ran a temporary isolated electrical circuit to see if that would solve the problem.  No luck there.  BTW, their hum was less noticable with CD play but more noticable spinning vinyl .

I finally found the problem.  No ground on the incoming cable (TV).  I never would have found it unless we had not worked on the electric in the house (as part of the re-hab - fairly extensive and I found myself backtracking through areas I would not normally think to look).  In my area, code requires that internal electric wires be run through conduit.  Ground is achieved by connecting to a water pipe (all metal).  The cable company apparently decided it was too much trouble to run an additional run from their external box into the house to ground the cable.  I solved the problem by going to HD and bying a grounding rod and grounding the cable.  (I also reduntantly (?) grounded the rest of the house as well.)  Who knew that a lazy cable installer could cause a hum problem?  I didn't.  Anyway, cable ground is easy to check unless you are in a large apt/condo complex.  Worth a look IMHO.

The kid's system was now quiet (really quiet) and he is happy as can be.  What did I get for my efforts?  Zip.  Bummer being the Landlord.  Anyway - weird stuff happens in audio.  Good luck.

Don   

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2009, 09:08 am »
Colin,

Check your email. !!!

No,  I don't think that this is a case of environs right now.  As to what Colin wrote to me,  it looks as if there is either a fuse problem now (not that likely),  or that simply an output  transistor gave up.  Either way,  I'm exchanging a board for him,  that will take care of everything,  and it is very, very  easy to do.  After all,  the amp is only 6 years old,  and still under warranty.  Once I get the old board,  I'll exactly know what happened.

Late,

Klaus

yuvster

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:57 pm »
Klaus

You lost me there.  Were you responding to my query or was this for someone else?

Regards

Yuvster

Colin,

Check your email. !!!

No,  I don't think that this is a case of environs right now.  As to what Colin wrote to me,  it looks as if there is either a fuse problem now (not that likely),  or that simply an output  transistor gave up.  Either way,  I'm exchanging a board for him,  that will take care of everything,  and it is very, very  easy to do.  After all,  the amp is only 6 years old,  and still under warranty.  Once I get the old board,  I'll exactly know what happened.

Late,

Klaus

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2009, 06:58 pm »
Call me,  317 299 5578,

Klaus

yuvster

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2009, 02:11 pm »
The 12 hour time difference does make it challenge for me to call so apologise about that.  Temporarily I have replaced the Stratos with another power amp (using the exact same set-up, cables etc) and there is no hum.  This leads me to believe that it is unlikely to be an environment factor.

Please let me know via email / this forum on what else the problem may be so that I can try and see if it is possible to repair locally.

Thank you

Call me,  317 299 5578,

Klaus

catking

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2009, 06:17 am »
Hi,

Have brought the amp from brother, yuvster. Before the purchase have email Klaus about the problem.  Klaus have assure me that if really the amp problem, he will repair for me. Have listen to the amp for a few hours and  do not heard the buzzing. Only when I place my ear very close to the speaker tweaker than can hear very soft buzzing with all the equipment turn On. The Stratos is a very good amp.

Klaus, might send it back for upgrade. Thanks...

The 12 hour time difference does make it challenge for me to call so apologise about that.  Temporarily I have replaced the Stratos with another power amp (using the exact same set-up, cables etc) and there is no hum.  This leads me to believe that it is unlikely to be an environment factor.

Please let me know via email / this forum on what else the problem may be so that I can try and see if it is possible to repair locally.

Thank you

Call me,  317 299 5578,

Klaus

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2009, 04:39 pm »
Have it on mine as well. Even when the only source (Sony SCD-1) and Tempest pre-amp are disconnected, same as you. Klaus reckons it is a ground loop and/or noise coming from the power line. I'm in an older Japanese house so it is possible--the wiring here is dodgy. I also have very sensitive speakers (>103dB/W/m) which does not help.

check your cables! I had this same problem several years ago, and the cable connection between the preamp and amp was the culprit (bad ground wire soldering joint). My problem was intermitent, and was finally found by just moving the cables around at the RCA conection.
gary