Another DIY pinhole camera - four pinholes for 360 action

BradJudy

I just finished a four-port panoramic camera using a cookie tin (thrift stores are great sources for tins of various sizes and shapes for under $1 each).  It shoots on 120 film, about 3 exposures per roll (~6x24 negatives).

It uses four 0.3mm electron microscope grid apertures placed at 90 degree intervals.  The shutter is an aluminum flashing collar with four openings, so all apertures are always exposed together.  The middle pillar is another tin from the thrift store that has been cut down and had a slot cut in it.  Initially I tried to put both spools within the center pillar, but that bent the film too tightly, creating too much friction to advance it. I screwed a piece of plywood to the base to provide a mounting point for a t-nut as well as making the camera more rigid.  I'm not sure if the dividers provide much benefit.

Here are two photos from the first roll.  The different perspectives and inversion on this type of camera don't make for a continuous panorama, but it's an interesting effect.  Not bad for a home-made camera that cost as much as the roll of film.  :)

Decatur cemetery (oldest cemetery in Atlanta) 80 sec

Decatur town square area 20 sec

WerTicus

Re: Another DIY pinhole camera - four pinholes for 360 action
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2009, 08:09 am »
that is brilliant... i bet you could sell this on ebay for a decent price :P

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2009, 01:25 pm »
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.  I was originally inspired by this one: http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholecameras/l_dk14_01.html

And later found that someone builds and sells a similar item: http://www.pinholeblender.com/pages/directions120.html

It's interesting to shoot since you have to hide below the camera while waiting out the long exposures. 

I need to paint the one nut/washer flat black.  I forgot to do that initially and I think it accounts for the reflection in the lower-left corner of the pictures. 

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:48 am »
Cool.  Maybe that's what the world would look like if you had eyes on the back of your head.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:29 am »
Hey!

Interesting pinhole cam there. I've never seen one like this before. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: