Looking for new speakers with Pre 2000 Infinity Kappa 9 sounds.

seaghost99999

Have not heard VS sounds and no dealer in Memphis, TN, would someone help confirms which model in VS line that has Pre 2000 Infinity Kappa 9 sounds.  Thanks.

JN

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
No offense intended but any VSA speaker will sound better.

kgturner

what is your price range? are you wanting to buy new or used? what's the size of your listening room? what do you listen to mostly (rock, jazz, classical, full orchestral....)? how loud do you like to listen? too many factors left unaddressed for any educated opinion to be given.

kevin t

seaghost99999

Use market (1 or 2 years old speakers and under 44" tall) and under $10K.  I listen to all kind of music except jazz, country ... I do like strong good bass.  My room is 11x20 ft and my listening level is at 3/4 loud.  Thanks.

WGH

...my listening level is at 3/4 loud.

3/4 loud? Is that like really, really loud?
What happened to the Infinity's? Something get blown out?

Thinking of something like a new VSA VR4 Sr MkII with a warranty.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1243038097&/Von-Schweikert-Audio-vr-4-sr-m

Add a pair of Van Alstine Ultra 550 amps bridged to 1000 watt's/side,
put something tubie on the top if you want to and you will have a system that will last a long, long time.

JackD201

...my listening level is at 3/4 loud.

3/4 loud? Is that like really, really loud?
What happened to the Infinity's? Something get blown out?

Thinking of something like a new VSA VR4 Sr MkII with a warranty.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1243038097&/Von-Schweikert-Audio-vr-4-sr-m

put something tubie on the top if you want to and you will have a system that will last a long, long time.

Now that looks like a Kick @ss recommendation if I ever saw one  aa

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Jack,

Delete a few of the messages in your inbox....it's full! :wave:

WGH

Now that looks like a Kick @ss recommendation if I ever saw one  aa

Anyone going to the AKFEST '09 on May 2nd or 3rd may be able to hear these beasts.
I use a single Van Alstine Insight 440 amp with a pair of VR2's with very nice results.

Just for fun, at the upcoming AudioKarma show, we will probably run a pair of them bridged mono on Jim Salk's speakers in a pretty big room.  With over 1KW per channel to play with, we should have enough power.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63500.msg609425#msg609425

*Scotty*

My money is on fried mid-ranges followed  by fried tweeters. Long term power handling wasn't the best and due to the low efficiency and the tough impedance curve there was a marked tendency to for amplifiers to clip into them when the owner rocked out at loud SPLs. See jpg. below

Scotty

JackD201

Jack,

Delete a few of the messages in your inbox....it's full! :wave:

Made some room Gavin  :thumb:

Bemopti123

My money is on fried mid-ranges followed  by fried tweeters. Long term power handling wasn't the best and due to the low efficiency and the tough impedance curve there was a marked tendency to for amplifiers to clip into them when the owner rocked out at loud SPLs. See jpg. below

Scotty

These units can be repaired I believe by MillerSound.  The issue with the crossovers have been addressed by a semi pro outfit in FL that fabricates a highly modded and improved crossover design (about $900 a pair though.)  I think the biggest problem with these speakers is the availability or lack of availability of parts, but the clear polydome can be replaced by a VIFA design, still available, which makes the Polygraph something that cannot be replaced, but perhaps can be repaired. 

I have even fantasized that there must be a way of using a high efficiency fullrange driver in the middle ranges and then pass the rest of the signals onto the higher tweeters and also pass the lows to the woofers, one must tweak everything else though.  It must be doable and I bet it would sound friggin' amazing.

Paul

JackD201

I have even fantasized that there must be a way of using a high efficiency fullrange driver in the middle ranges and then pass the rest of the signals onto the higher tweeters and also pass the lows to the woofers, one must tweak everything else though.  It must be doable and I bet it would sound friggin' amazing.

Paul

Full Range Driver augmented with a ribbon tweeter and a dynamic woofer? Looks like the Unifield 3 would be right up your alley Paul  :wink: