PS 9.0 External Power Supply Reborn!

modwright

PS 9.0 External Power Supply Reborn!
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:58 pm »
I recently did some experimenting, with the same discrete SS VR power supply upgrades that we implement in the Transporter, for the PS 9.0 external supply.  This design actually originates from our PS 36.5 dual-mono, dual-discrete all-tube rectified and regulated power supply for the LS 36.5 'DM' - our $9K flagship preamp.

We redesigned the voltage regulation circuitry with SS components instead of tubes and found the improvement to be significant.  This prompted the upgrade for the Transporter's internal supply, the benefits of which have already been well documented in the Transporter threads on our forum.

We then built a PS 9.0 external power supply (for use with Sony 999ES, 9000ES, 9100ES, Denon 2900, 3910 mods), utilizing this new power supply design.  The test was done with the Sony 9100ES specifically, and the results were staggering.  This involved replacing an existing tube-rectified PS design with the new tube-rectified design, also incorporating the dual-discrete SS Voltage Regulation.

Costs:

1) Upgrade existing PS 9.0 in larger current enclosure = $400 + shipping.
2) New PS 9.0 (only necessary if existing PS in smaller/older enclosure) = $500 + shipping.
3) Possible add'l labor to re-wire Sony if supply is older with single B+ supply.
4) Turnaround time in shop = 1 week or less. Prepayment is appreciated.

I have an ad on Audiogon also, but I wanted to make you all aware of this upgrade as it is SIGNIFICANT and I feel represents REAL value in terms of sonic improvement/$.

Thanks!

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2011, 01:38 am by modwright »

larbo53

Re: PS 9.0 External Power Supply Reborn!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:12 pm »
I have both the SWLP 9.0SE and the Sony 9100 ES with the tube PS 9.0 power supply.  Is this modification applicable to both units or just the 9100 ES?    :drool:  I have the smaller AL enclosure so I assume the $500 larger enclosure is the route to take.  Does the new design use the same single 5AR4 rectifier tube?  What determines whether I need to send the 9100 ES back to be modified as well?  :scratch:

Thanks!

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2009, 07:29 pm »
Hi, the supply upgrade can be done to both the external 9.0 supply for the SWLP as well as the Sony.  At the moment, we have not designed in the necessary power switching relays for use with the SWLP, but this will be compete soon.

As far as the Sony goes, if you can email me a picture of the front face and internals of the supply, I can tell you if the internal wiring is consistent with the new supply and whether it would require any re-wire of the Sony itself.  The cost for the new supply is $500.

Thanks,

Dan

bandit

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2009, 09:19 pm »
Hi Dan,

Since you have mentioned that you can upgrade the SWP 9.0SE (phono stage) on the other thread - are you saying that the 5AR4 tube still remains and just the circuit has gone to SS?

Thanks

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:00 am »
The PS 9.0 retains the 5AR4 tube rectifier, yes.  The main change is to a pure SS dual-discrete voltage regualation circuits.  It is the improved voltage regulation that makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in the performance.

Thanks,

Dan

larbo53

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:09 pm »
As far as the Sony goes, if you can email me a picture of the front face and internals of the supply, I can tell you if the internal wiring is consistent with the new supply and whether it would require any re-wire of the Sony itself.  The cost for the new supply is $500.

Thanks,

Dan,

A picture of the Sony's front face and supply internals?

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:11 pm »
Sorry, front face of PS 9.0, not sony.

Dan

bandit

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
Hi Dan,

Will the new upgrade be reviewed again? for example to Greg Weaver, whom reviewed the SWP 9.0SE before - for a comparsion....

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2009, 09:19 pm »
We do have a review scheduled for the SWP 9.0SE and it will include the new supply.  I have also asked another reviewer who owns our modified DVD Players, to comment on the improvement brought about by the new supply. The benefits are similar for all of our products that use this same circuit.

Thank you,

Dan W.

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2009, 05:59 pm »
New review by Bob Levi just posted at PFO for the new PS 9.0.  I chose Bob, because he has long been a champion and fan of our tube-modified Sony's and has heard and reviewed the 999ES, 9100ES, SS and tube power supplies and now the new supply.  He has a great frame of reference and I feel his comments are thus very valid.  Bob also has a phenomenal system to evaluate the changes in.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue43/quickies.htm

BTW, this upgrade is available for our SWL 9.0SE and SWP 9.0SE, in case I have not mentioned this before.  It is also the defacto standard supply in our one-box LS 36.5 now.  I you have an older LS 36.5, this can be upgraded also.

Thanks guys!

Dan W.

JerryH

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2009, 01:13 am »
I just received my upgraded PS 9.0 from Dan for my SWLP. I have to say I am seriously impressed at the difference I'm hearing. This is an amazing upgrade in my system.
If I had to describe it in as few  words as possible, I'd say dynamic and more alive.The phono stage stage has a more solid grip on the bass, with imaging better and I'm hearing more into the record. The Transporter at this point seems to benefit even more, really transporting (pun intended) me into the recording studio itself.  This upgrade I put up there along side the Transporter mod in terms of the WOW factor. Cost wise, this is the best upgrade yet and seriously a no-brainer.   
My SWLP has a Dact attenuator and I'm using the EML. The EML itself was a great upgrade but this goes much further. I'm not sure if there's a break in factor but it really doesn't matter. I really didn't expect it to be so dramatic. I'm typically a man of few words and I don't like using the Audiophile cliche. So I'll just use one.. speechless.

rydenfan

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2009, 03:33 am »
Great news Jerry  :thumb: Enjoy!

AB

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2009, 04:47 am »
I just received my upgraded PS 9.0 from Dan for my SWLP. I have to say I am seriously impressed at the difference I'm hearing. This is an amazing upgrade in my system.

That's great. I didn't realize Dan had the SWLP PSU board finished. I guess now I can get my SWLP upgraded too.

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2009, 06:19 pm »
First of all, I hope you don't mind me saying this Jerry, but Jerry is also a musician.  I always feel PF from people who are musicians, have recorded music, etc., because they know how things should REALLY SOUND.  Thanks for the PF Jerry!

We found a way to make the existing boards work.  The only catch is that we also need to change the switch in the preamp unit itself to a double pole type and make a couple of wiring changes in the unit.  The cost of this upgrade for the SWLP is $500.  When sending in for upgrade, we DO need both supply and preamp.

Thanks!

Dan

jcoat007

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2009, 08:44 pm »
I was a fairly early adopter of the SWL 9.0 and also a Signature Truth Sony 999es. 

I just sent my 999es PS in for the upgrade as well as my 9.0 SWL.  My 9.0 was upgraded to the current Signature Edition with MW caps, internal tube rectified PS with the new Dual Discrete SS voltage regulation.  The 999es PS was upgraded to the current spec Tube Rectified PS 9.0 Outboard Power Supply.  The PS that I had was an early edition, not tube rectified. 

I hooked it up Saturday afternoon and then went out of town, returning the following evening.  I left it running while I was gone (approx 28 hours). 

While I have not had a chance to really sit down and listen, the few cuts that I have listened to are nothing short of amazing.  These upgrades are significant for sure. 

I will report more as I have time to really evaluate things, but all of the usual audiophile hit lists are present.  What I am really enjoying is the ease with which beautiful music is just flowing from my system.  Great work, as usual, Dan!!!!!

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:15 pm »
Thank you Jeff.  The new PS 9.0 design IS a significant upgrade!

Take care and enjoy!

Dan

Chris2005

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
Dan,

let me clarify this - is this an upgrade also to the tube-rectified 9.0 SWLP power supply? The comment by Rob Levi talks about a pure SS voltage regualtion circuit.
Thank you
Christian

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2010, 07:44 am »
To clarify, it is still a tube-rectified circuit, but with the addition of pure SS, dual-discrete voltage regulation.

Thanks,

Dan