Advice on Speakers?

magsterone

Advice on Speakers?
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:56 pm »
Looking for a pair of floor standers in the $1500 to $3000 range.  I don't mind used ones.  My room is 30'x18'.  I will use for both music mainly and home theater.  I plan to buy separate pre pro/amp later this year.  I have a Nakamichi av-10 now.  Thanks.

Joe in Mobile

Bigfish

Re: Advice on Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:36 pm »
Looking for a pair of floor standers in the $1500 to $3000 range.  I don't mind used ones.  My room is 30'x18'.  I will use for both music mainly and home theater.  I plan to buy separate pre pro/amp later this year.  I have a Nakamichi av-10 now.  Thanks.

Joe in Mobile

Joe:

Selecting speakers is one of the most critical choices for any system.  If you purchase new the Salk SongTowers would make a nice choice.  You might help us with making recommendations if you tell us speakers that you have heard and really like.

Good Luck with your search!

Ken

magsterone

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:58 pm »
Right now I have Von Schweikert Vr-1's for my front r/l, Von Schweikert Lcr-15 for center and MB Quart for rear surrounds. 

Joe in Mobile

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2009, 03:14 pm »
check these usher 6391's out from an authorized dealer, great price on a great pair of speakers.  although they are discontinued, the drivers and parts are available through the distributor in texas.  i have no part in this sale but i do own usher 6381's.  if the 91's are too large check out the 81's.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1242814271&/Usher-CP-6391-new-in-piano-bla

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:02 pm »
You could always move up the Von Schweikert food chain. I was going to suggest the VR-2 but then I checked out Audiogon and saw a pair of VR-4's for $1495, they usually go for more. You may not even need a sub with the VR-4 and they would integrate perfectly with your existing center speaker.

There is usually plenty of VR-4's to choose from on Audiogon so I would find a pair to listen to before you buy. You save on shipping and also make sure they were not abused (and they still work).

Wayne

fishinbob

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:53 pm »
I'll second the SongTowers but I'm an unabashed fan :lol:
The standard STs with a SongCenter < 3K. Check out the ribbon SongTowers too. They will be $700 more but worth it for many.
Happy hunting.