Iron Chef

pjchappy

Iron Chef
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:01 am »
Anyone watch Iron Chef America?  If I'm flipping channels, I always have to catch it.

Used to watch the old school Japanese Iron Chef, too.  I've been a Food TV junky for many, many years, for that matter.  Wish I knew I had such a passion for cooking when I was much younger. . .before I wracked up a ridiculous amount of undergraduate and law school debt.   :lol:

I think the Food Network has definitely expanded the palettes of many people, which has lead to many a good thing!

Anyways, Iron Chef America is definitely one of my favorite shows on Food TV. (I do love many others, too)

Mr Content

Re: Iron Chef
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:10 am »
Hi Paul yep we love it. A little more entertaining than the original, but I like, and still watch that too. I need to clear out the IQ HDD so I can record more great shows like this. I wish they would put up the actual recipes, I would love to try some of them. aa

Nig aa

some young guy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:25 am »
Real cooking is not about recipes... it's about inspiration! If you see something that gets you going, cook it.

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:29 am »
I agree.

While I do look at recipes for some random new thing I want to cook, I just glance at it, see what kind of ingredients are in there. . .and then just do it my way.  No measurements, no specifice cook time, etc..  I will usually look at several different recipes for the same thing, if I even do look at a recipe.  I'll add more stuff, take away some things, etc..  Man, I love to cook.  Cooking for others and being on stage performing for others are the 2 greatest feelings I've ever experienced.  (fill in joke here. . .)

For me, cooking is about feeling, taste, passion, blah, blah, blah.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:49 am »
Hey!

Yes, I do watch the Iron Chef America :D

And I was a huge fan the original Iron Chef Japan :D

Somehow I feel that the new American version is missing something from the original Japanese version. Still the new American version is a good food show.

So, I have to say that for those who like to watch the Iron Chef America but never seen the original version it is a must see. :D Currently the original Iron Chef Japan is on the Fine Living Network (FL) here in the US. Check your local cable co.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/iron_chef_japan/0,3182,FINE_31256,00.html

More than 10 years old now but still fun to watch. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2009, 06:32 am »
Anyone watch Iron Chef America?  If I'm flipping channels, I always have to catch it.

Used to watch the old school Japanese Iron Chef, too.  I've been a Food TV junky for many, many years, for that matter.  Wish I knew I had such a passion for cooking when I was much younger. . .before I wracked up a ridiculous amount of undergraduate and law school debt.   :lol:

I think the Food Network has definitely expanded the palettes of many people, which has lead to many a good thing!

Anyways, Iron Chef America is definitely one of my favorite shows on Food TV. (I do love many others, too)

The only Food Network show I watch is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. :drool: Totally Americana roots. 8) Besides that Iron Chief show is a little too sophisticate for my tastes. It's all food that I'll never see to eat in my lifetime so I can't relate to the show.  :slap:

Cheers,
Robin

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2009, 10:48 am »
Hey!

Yes, I do watch the Iron Chef America :D

And I was a huge fan the original Iron Chef Japan :D

Somehow I feel that the new American version is missing something from the original Japanese version. Still the new American version is a good food show.

So, I have to say that for those who like to watch the Iron Chef America but never seen the original version it is a must see. :D Currently the original Iron Chef Japan is on the Fine Living Network (FL) here in the US. Check your local cable co.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/iron_chef_japan/0,3182,FINE_31256,00.html

More than 10 years old now but still fun to watch. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Yep, I love both the Japanese and American versions of Iron Chef.  And yes, while the shows are the same format, I agree that each has its own strengths/weaknesses.  Imho, the Japanese show gives you a better feel for the process of creating each dish...the American version cuts in/out of each dish too disjointedly.  On the other hand, the American show has Alton Brown, who does a much better job of explaining what each chef is doing and why on a technical/cooking level.  Both shows are great at inspiring... :thumb:

And of course, the cheesy "chairman" of the Japanese version is much more likable than "his nephew" on the American version.... :D