SW-12-04 x3 Sealed first impressions

mgalusha

SW-12-04 x3 Sealed first impressions
« on: 9 Apr 2009, 06:29 pm »
I finally have my three GR/Rythmik Direct Servo subs assembled and playing and so far I'm delighted with the results. They are all sealed using a single SW-12-04 and A370PEQ amp per sub. I've got deep, tight and fast bass with no boom or bloat at all. Using three of them, they are not working very hard so the amount of headroom is considerable. Big thumbs up to Danny and Brian for providing a top notch product. The good part is I'm sure that with more tuning I can get them even better.  aa

TomS

Re: SW-12-04 x3 Sealed first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2009, 11:07 pm »
Very cool Mike.  Looking forward to those pictures  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2009, 11:10 pm »
Mike,

How are you connecting to the three sub amps?

George

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2009, 11:11 pm »
Very cool Mike, welcome to the club!!!

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2009, 11:43 pm »
Very cool Mike.  Looking forward to those pictures  :wink:

You don't want to see them yet Tom, a cabinet maker I am not. While not horrible, they are not pretty either. I need to paint them or something. I'm considering some type of laminate as well.

How are you connecting to the three sub amps?

They are connected to the back of the power amp. Since I'm running a zero gain amp there is no other choice. I'd done some measurements of the speaker level inputs of the sub amps and found I was OK with connecting them to a fully differential amp. Some subs tie the negative post to ground but these don't. Right now they are connected via some spliced together wire I had lying around but I have 50ft of star quad mic cable on the way.

Very cool Mike, welcome to the club!!!

Thanks Rob but yours are gorgeous.  :drool:

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2009, 03:07 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:44 pm by EARGASM »

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2009, 05:49 pm »
Oh, you definately should use paper-backed veneer and contact cement...  :nono:

Not sure if you are saying I should use paper-backed veneer and contact cement or if I shouldn't. I have used this in the past with decent results but was thinking of some type of painted finish, so I wasn't even going to consider a veneer for these.

This is really good stuff though, and it sprays nicely through a $50 Harbor Freight pressure pot. You can actually roll it on, it just wont be quite as smooth. And it's waterborne. They will mix pretty much any color you want. It ships from FL inexpensively, since there is not a hazmat declaration required.

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119&catid=19771

This is actually what I was thinking of using. I read it about it somewhere else and it seemed like just the product for the subs. Good to know it works as well as advertised. :)

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2009, 10:14 pm »
Oh, you definately should use paper-backed veneer and contact cement...  :nono:

Not sure if you are saying I should use paper-backed veneer and contact cement or if I shouldn't. I have used this in the past with decent results but was thinking of some type of painted finish, so I wasn't even going to consider a veneer for these.

Eargasm hates paper backed veneer and contact cement.

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2009, 05:38 pm »
Eargasm hates paper backed veneer and contact cement.

That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. My only use of it previously was on some shelves and the results were actually quite good though I know there can be plenty of problems with it.

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2009, 05:43 pm »
I just finished my first veneer job and I used paper backed and the pva iron-on method and was quite happy with the results (other than some glue I got on the face of the veneer and had to remove).
http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/ironon.html