Questions on Extreme Mono's

Sean

« on: 15 Dec 2003, 03:01 am »
Someone contacted me regarding the compatibility of specific amps ( Odyssey Extreme Mono's ) with some speakers that they are looking at.  They did this as i'm quite familiar with the speakers and they are very tough loads.  

In order to answer their questions, i need to know more about the Extreme mono's.  Since there is very limited info on the website, i figured that this would be the best place to ask.  On top of answering my questions, Klaus could probably kill a whole bunch of birds with one stone as i'm sure that many others also have several questions.  

If possible, i'd like the following info pertaining to these amps or at least generic info for the Stratos product line.  Please specify if the figures are "generic" or for a specific model of the Odyssey product line.

1)  Power at clipping into 8 ohms

2)  Power at clipping into 4 ohms

3)  Power at clipping into 2 ohms

4)  Rated power bandwidth @ 8 ohms

5)  Output impedance of the amp @ 20 Hz and @ 20 KHz

If i could also find out the following, that would be nice too  : )

6)  Rise Time

7)  Slew Rate

Hopefully, i can get answers directly from Klaus on this as "guesstimates" aren't of much value unless you have a specific point of reference to compare them to.  Obviously, anybody that can contribute info pertaining to these questions is welcome to respond, especially if they are passing on info that was given to them directly by Klaus.  Sean
>

James Tg

Mono Extreme
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2003, 01:44 pm »
Sean:

Please read the thead at www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8608.  It is the most comprehensive information I can find.  Or, you can call Klaus for more detailed information.  

I like Odyssey a lot, and believe the Extreme will suit you.

James Tang

Val

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2003, 02:42 pm »
I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I believe the thread James Tg copied is the discussion of the "full Gary" Stratos, the top level modded mono amps (300W, 2 transformers, 360,000µF) that cost $4,000/pair. The Extreme Monos cost $2,600/pair and are still the best bang for your buck in high-end audio.

BlackCat

whooosh!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2003, 07:16 pm »
If you wanna be blown away, put that Hawkwind under some Extreme Monos and kick up the dial.

Sean

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2003, 09:05 am »
Thanks for the link to the discussion on HD guys.  That was interesting reading.  The thing that i found most interesting was that Gary, who was the guy that had Klaus build these amps, was using some of the same equipment that i'm running in the system that i have here in my office i.e. EVS Millennium II upsampling DAC and Goertz MI-2's.  I had the same preamp in this system that Gary was running ( Marsh P2000 ) but that didn't last too long for several reasons.  Either way, i've got a good idea of the type of sound that Gary likes and a reasonable idea of what to expect from these amps going by that.  This is encouraging to say the least.  

After reading that, regardless of the "manufacturer hype" that is bound to come from anybody marketing a product, Klaus seems to be a pretty "straight up" guy with a very valiant sense of morals and business ethics.  We need more guys like him in the industry and i hope that he continues to do well.

As mentioned, these amps are not for me but for someone that is interested in purchasing a set of speakers that are identical to a few sets that i have.  Since these speakers are not all that common, they wanted to know if the Odyssey Extreme's would be up to the task.  For those that are interested, the speakers present a nominal 1.2 - 3 ohm load and are about 82 dB's "in-efficient"  :o  

Needless to say, you need one helluva amp to deal with this type of a load and do it any type of justice.  Since the speakers are so in-efficient AND such a low impedance, most amps are constantly switching between Class A and Class B mode of operation.  While many "high bias" amps will run Class A up to 6 - 10 watts @ 8 ohms, this is only equivalent to 1.5 - 2.5 watts of Class A power @ 2 ohms.  With such low efficiency, one has to throttle the amp harder than this to get decent SPL's, so crossover distortion starts entering the picture in a much more drastic fashion than with more efficient, higher impedance speakers.  This is something that most people don't have to worry about let alone ever think about, but as you get into more "esoteric" ( read that as "finicky" ) loads, this is the kind of stuff that can make or break whether an amp is acceptable or not.

For sake of reference, i'm currently running modified Kinergetics KBA-202A Platinum mono-blocks with these speakers, which are rated at 250 @ 8 / 500 @ 4.  I'm guessing that i've got about 850 - 1000 wpc @ 2 ohms ( give or take ).  According to the manual, the first 50 watts run in Class A bias before switching over to Class B for increased efficiency / thermal reasons.  This equates to appr 12.5 watts of Class A power @ 2 ohms, which is still more than what most "high bias" amps deliver into 8 ohms.  As such, i can get reasonable SPL levels at my seated listening position while remaining in Class A for most stuff.  Obviously, dynamic peaks go WAY above this level as i've actually measured peaks at over 900 watts with these speakers.  You can't do that for very long though if you want them to survive  :)    

Judging from what i've been able to find out about the Oddysey amps, i think that i've got a bigger transformer in each monoblock than what Klaus is getting by doubling up on the transformers that he's using in terms of total KVA rating.  Having said that, he's got WAY more filter capacitance in his units, which is a good thing.  That is, until something goes wrong :cry:  Either way, i'll be adding more capacitance to my amps in the very near future.  

I do appreciate the help that you folks have given me, especially those that took the time to contact me directly.  I'll try to give Klaus a call on Friday, but from what i can tell, these amps should work out pretty well with this type of speaker.   Sean
>

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2003, 12:51 pm »
sean, ya may also suggest yer buddy check out electrocompaniet amps - stable w/loads to 0.5 ohms, good power, which increases as loads drop, & amazing current capabilities.  the ec amps' retail prices are quite a bit more than the odyssey's, but can be found used for relatively good prices.

here's a link to their site:
http://www.electrocompaniet.no/nyweb2/

regards,

doug s.

Val

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:03 pm »
Other candidates are Bryston, some of which the factory can rewire for very low impedances; Classé, their Omega amps are supposed to be stable below 1 ohm.

MarkgM

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2003, 06:11 pm »
Sean,
Klaus mentioned modifying a Stratos, I think it was, for driving a pair of Apogee Scintillas, something like 79 dB, 1-2 ohms impedance.  So I'm sure you'll want to give him a call.

Dude, you've got some pretty wild numbers.  You know, the regular monos are good for 120 amps of current, and when impedances go lower, all voltages staying the same, there will be a doubling of current required.  Also, I think 4 pairs of 150 watt bipolar transistors to a side.  Somebody correct me if I got that wrong.  As far as power supply, 800 VA to a side, and a whole lotta storage. ;-)

And how did you get 900 watts to these speakers?  Watch out for those tweeters ;-)  Must be a very low impedance on the bottom end, and alot of bass, big dynamic peak?  I'm actually amazed the drivers handle that kind of heat.   :!:

Still, since the xtremes are actually bigger than the monos, and the monos have been used to drive tough loads, I don't doubt you would hear favorable things about driving your (friends) speakers, but you really need to call Klaus.

From the HD thread:
With Gary's units we actually got way over 350 W. impulse. at 8 Ohm. per channel, and over 700 W. into 4 Ohm.

The RMS / continuous rating is closer to 200 W. per channel at 8 Ohm, with a close to doubling into 4 and 2. However, I can see around 1500 W. into 1 Ohm, and based on our dummy loads with 80 - 90 % full load, these amps are definitely stabile at or below 1 Ohm. That's the magic word here: Completely stabile !!!! The power resources are just ridiculous for an amp for that price.

Sean

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2003, 08:59 am »
Doug:  From what i understand, i think that this person already has the Extreme mono's on order and is expecting them sometime in the relatively near future.  

Val:  Bryston amps are not good candidates for low impedance speakers.  The Classe' amps are far sturdier than the Bryston's in this regard.  I know this from past experience with both.  Whether or not you like the sonics of either is another matter.

Mark:  These speakers don't have tweeters but the individual drivers that they do have used to retail for $1600 apiece for a refurbished models !!!  As a side note, many tweeters can take many, many hundreds of watts on a short term basis so long as it is "clean power".  While my current amps that i'm using to drive these speakers can probably deliver about 900 wpc steady state into 2 ohms ( like i said, it's got a BIG transformer ), i wasn't using these amps at the time that i saw the 900 watt figure.  I had another amp here that had fast acting LED displays that measured the power.  This was a true dual mono design with separate transformers for each channel.  To be quite honest, it wasn't all that loud even with peaks soaring that high.  Ineffecient speakers that are of low impedance can really suck an amp dry, especially with dynamic music.  

In another system that i have, i sent the amp into thermal overload on a couple of different occassions.  These speakers are rated at 4 ohms but are probably closer to 3 ohms in some areas.  This amp is rated for 1200 wpc @ 4 ohms and actually clips at slightly over 1450 per channel.  Needless to say, it was REAL loud when i was doing this.  Even with sustained levels that were that high long enough to cause the amp to over-heat, i didn't damage any of the drivers.  I guess that you can do that when you buy well made products  : )  Sean
>

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2003, 01:07 pm »
ok sean, i still wanna know when yure gonna audition the german physiks loudspeakers...   :wink:

regards,

doug s.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2003, 03:37 pm »
sean,

I have speakers that are "inefficient" but probably not as bad as the speakers you are talking about. The speakers I am driving with the Xtreme's are Magnepan 3.5R's - they dip down to 2.5 ohms, and eat current for breakfast to get anywhere near the volume levels I like to listen at.

Enter the Odyssey monos - unmodified, they seemed to be rather short on control, especially in the lower frequencies where the main current draw happens. That caused some clipping, blown fuses, etc.

I had them upgraded a few months ago, and immediately, without much breakin whatsoever, the speakers were transformed. I haven't blown a fuse since the upgrade (actually, they are gone and bypassed at the moment), while the bass is being handled as if there's a huge steel vise gripping the panels. Enormous improvement in dynamics, and none of that at the expense of muscality. They just sound smooth as silk.

I've been putting off my original plan to get a second pair of these for active biamping, because to be honest, the first pair is handling the speakers more than adequately. There's still room for improvement, just by going active and removing all the passive parts in the speakers, so I'll probably go with a second pair once I can afford them, just to see how far I can take these speakers.

As for what the Extrems can do with really low loads, I recall Klaus posting here that he tested them on a 1ohm load, running them at full output around 1000watts for a few hours, stable, but very very hot  :D

Search this forum - that post still has to be here somewhere.

Peter

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2003, 03:33 am »
Like i said in the other thread,  I'll get to all of that in a couple of days,

Klaus