Salks on ICE

fishinbob

Salks on ICE
« on: 8 Apr 2009, 04:26 pm »
After receiving my Songtowers last Thanksgiving I'm just now getting around to setting up the surrounds for my 5.1 and notice the red terminal speaker post for the left rear is slightly bent. I've got a notion how this happened but haven't confronted anyone around here about why it happened, it looks as though the speaker wire was yanked from the post and bent it out of line somewhat. Who knows maybe the dog did it :lol: None the less I hooked up the speakers and everything seemed fine for a day or so. Now the speaker has stopped working so i suspect something related to the damage has occurred. The better half has been dutifully informed that our beloved (my beloved) Yamaha DSP A1 is broken :cry: The preout still works and I can use an external amp but l choose not to tell her as I want to use it (Mac 2125) with my old JBLs and....... opportunity knocks.  I want the new codecs for the BluRay and HD music etc, HDMI... you know, so I'm looking to get a new AVR.
I'm pretty much decided on a Pioneer SC 07 but was wondering if anyone has any Salks on ice power. I auditioned the 07 with the Denon 3808ci and to me the Denon just wasn't the same. The Pio sounded way more articulate than the Denon especially in the mid-bass, at least on the ML Preface speakers we were using. The Denon sounded quite stuffy where the Pioneer was more like my Yamaha which I've become accustomed to.
Any thoughts?

Bob

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Salks on ICE
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2009, 04:59 pm »
BigRedMachine had driven his V3s and HT3s with W4S amps, IIRC.

evan1

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2009, 05:21 pm »
I'm running them with the PS Audio Trio A-100 amp

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2009, 08:51 pm »
I've taken my SongTower RT's over to a buddy's house (warpdrv) and run them using his ICEpowered modules.  The ST's sounded great with 500 wpc running through their veins!

For what it's worth, if you are going to pay that much for a receiver. why not go with separates? 

Kris

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2009, 10:49 pm »
The Yamaha DSP-A1 is a great integrated amplifier. Mine broke 4 weeks ago, due to a speaker short. I replaced 2 output transistors and now is as good as new. Total cost of the repair $12 and 40 min. soldering iron work. I also had to resolder the dot matrix display, some characters were missing.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2009, 03:56 am »
I have been running my Ht-3's and Center along with Swan surrounds with an Ice Power D-Sonic MAGNUM 2000-5, 525 watts X 3 for the front and 2 X 250 for the surrounds, and it has no problems driving these puppies to above reference levels with clean clear power. :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2009, 05:48 am »
So Bob, I guess your saying it isn't the best time to PM you about stopping by to hear the RTs ?. A thought, if your game - the port cone on the back is held on by 4 screws I think it was. If you pull that you should be check the post & see if there's a problem with the post connection.

Here's wishing a speedy resolution your woes.   :cry:

fishinbob

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:31 pm »
I've taken my SongTower RT's over to a buddy's house (warpdrv) and run them using his ICEpowered modules.  The ST's sounded great with 500 wpc running through their veins!

For what it's worth, if you are going to pay that much for a receiver. why not go with separates? 

If I had more room to put all the gear, separates might be for me but for 14 plus tax I feel ok with this unit. I plan to get it from the B&M store rather than the net so I will pay some for that I know. I'm more concerned about warranty issues and returns with amps etc., as opposed to buying loudspeakers from Jim...with whom I felt totally at ease.
To be honest I haven't done a lot of research into separates. Is there is a pre with matching 7 channels of amplification with the Pioneers' features for that price? (video processing abilities are not as important)

The Yamaha DSP-A1 is a great integrated amplifier. Mine broke 4 weeks ago, due to a speaker short. I replaced 2 output transistors and now is as good as new. Total cost of the repair $12 and 40 min. soldering iron work. I also had to resolder the dot matrix display, some characters were missing.

I really like the A1 and planned to do without HD audio and keep it in my system a while longer, but I've upgraded my display, and of course bought some new Salks and can't seem to shake the upgrade fever. I plan to get it repaired...just wish I had the confidence to fix it myself. I will have a look at it soon, and if it obvious, like a broken post or wire I can do the soldering but that's about all.

So Bob, I guess your saying it isn't the best time to PM you about stopping by to hear the RTs ?. A thought, if your game - the port cone on the back is held on by 4 screws I think it was. If you pull that you should be check the post & see if there's a problem with the post connection.

Here's wishing a speedy resolution your woes.   :cry:

Hello JD - Been wondering if you were still interested? Feel free to send a PM. The fronts are working fine and that's all we care about anyway.

Bob

fishinbob

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:21 am »
I'm running them with the PS Audio Trio A-100 amp

I have been running my Ht-3's and Center along with Swan surrounds with an Ice Power D-Sonic MAGNUM 2000-5, 525 watts X 3 for the front and 2 X 250 for the surrounds, and it has no problems driving these puppies to above reference levels with clean clear power. :thumb:

I'm sorry for the delay evan1 and Bill@LakeGeorge. By chance have either of you had the opportunity to compare the ICE amps to anything else on your present speaker system? I went back to the dealer to listen once more. I brought a couple of my demo discs because the server music I heard on my first visit really didn't impress at all. Anyhow I swear the soundstage was considerably larger with the 07 compared to the 3808. No doubt in my mind there, just wondering if this is typical to this style amp or more likely processing or both :scratch:

Bob

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:13 pm »
I had a Parasound Halo 5 Channel & Emotiva IPS 5 channel both sounded flat and harsh.  I briefly went back to my older Denon 3806 receiver and it was better than both.  I was hoping to score an older EAD PowerMaster when I discovered the D-Sonic.  The Ice is pure bliss.  You can try both D-Sonic and Wyred they both have a 30 day try out.

fishinbob

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:41 pm »
I had a Parasound Halo 5 Channel & Emotiva IPS 5 channel both sounded flat and harsh.  I briefly went back to my older Denon 3806 receiver and it was better than both.  I was hoping to score an older EAD PowerMaster when I discovered the D-Sonic.  The Ice is pure bliss.  You can try both D-Sonic and Wyred they both have a 30 day try out.

:drool:  Nice prices too...ouch! At least I have the option to power up should the Pio seem deficient but I doubt that is going to be an issue with the Songs in my room.

fishinbob

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:21 pm »
pulled the trigger......ICEd SongTowers...NICE :thumb: :green: :green: :green:

DTS MA (new to me) ...where have I been.... :duh:

I suppose matching surrounds are in order? :roll: